Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
The only problem I have with the OP is that some of those "grumpy old men" have a wealth of knowledge. When they see some internet whiz post wrong information, that they know from years of experience to be wrong, and refute it... Are your feathers gonna be ruffled, or will you heed the advise given in the spirit given? If I do that kind of thing when refuting someone, it is for the purpose of keeping someone safe, or preventing them from causing even more problems. Further, such a posting from me will always contain an explanation as to why the choice, process, or method of doing something is incorrect... People commenting here have helped me numerous times. None have ever seemed grumpy to me. I have read differences of opinion on these threads, and the ones with explanations always seem to win out.

Granted, I'm not talking about the snarky, Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs... mine's the best because after all... I picked it... and I can't be wrong... folks.

So, I think we should all try to be polite, and at the same time, be argumentative if the situation needs it. And by the way... reporting someone because their opinion is different than yours is bad form... and should earn the reporter a point if his refuted information is in fact... wrong.

Just my nickel's worth... (inflation)

JW
Well said. If someone gives bad info to another asking a question it should be challenged. I have done this in the past but always try to put it across in a civil manner. More than once I have had people snark back at me. I don't know if they are young or old. How can you tell the age of a person from a post? Yes I too have seen some nastiness on this forum but for the most part people on here are very civil and helpfull.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #30

Another thing I see a lot on various forums is that you have to do this, and you have to do that, and you have to spend this much money, and if you don't it's disaster. I've had enough vehicles and spent enough time in the motor pool to know what's necessary and what's not.
BigBlue505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue505 View Post
Another thing I see a lot on various forums is that you have to do this, and you have to do that, and you have to spend this much money, and if you don't it's disaster. I've had enough vehicles and spent enough time in the motor pool to know what's necessary and what's not.
I know what you're talking about. They sure like to spend other peoples money.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
If someone gives bad info to another asking a question it should be challenged.
Who says it should be challenged...you? Who determines whether or not the info is bad...you? Who declared you the expert...you? Maybe there are times when any of us should just keep shut...but apparently the temptation to correct (and lecture or demean) for some people is just way too strong. I personally choose to hang and drink beer with the other type.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
I've found this forum
Too often there are the "Grumpy Old Men"
My point being to these grumpy old men,
appreciate the grumpy old men .
I'm starting to see a pattern here, looks like profiling based on age and gender and it's just not right. I'm almost highly offended. It's taken a lot of time and hard work to get this old.

Overall- I think we get a lot of good information and occasionally a little attitude-- that's why we have ..... and moderators.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Old people
know what it's like
to be young.

Young people
don't know what it's like
to be old.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #35
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Speaking as both a moderator and a member... I have seen my share of these types of posts outlined by the OP. Although, I certainly wouldn't think they're isolated to grumpy old men.

IMO, when a problem arises, it is because someone has attacked the poster and not the post. There is usually a lot less trouble if someone responds "I didn't think what you posted is right because .... blah, blah, blah." ... rather than, "SINCE WHEN??????? Only a FOOL would ... blah, blah, blah."

Some feel that this is political correctness but I disagree. It's simply being civil.

Rick
I agree!

It's all in the delivery. You can get your opinion across without being mean.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
I am fairly new to this forum and appreciate all the knowledge and experience here. Albeit I am not new to email and these forums have a similar problem that email does. Capitals and punctuation can mean different things to different people. Being written word, this can stir the pot. We all have to remember that the majority of people may not mean the same as you assumed it meant. If someone is blatantly rude or offensive it is time to put on ignore. It would much like arguing with a drunk. It can go on and on.....
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #37

I read this forum for a couple years before I finally joined. I have found that there ARE about 1/2 dozen or so people who are pretty positive that if you don't share their opinion, it is because you are obviously stupid. LOL That being said, if I see their name as I scroll down, I just don't read what they posted because it usually isn't very helpful anyway. I never really thought of them as the "old guys"....I kinda more thought of them as the younger generation. Life's too short to even care. I don't know those people, nor do I want to. I just ignore them.
DreaminBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #38

Dreaminbig, I think your right. I've run across the same
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #39

This forum is great compared to another forum that I won't mention. That's why I spend most of my time here and if I need help I will post it here first.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
There are those that try to boost them selves up by tearing others down. There are others whose internal sensor died, perhaps as a result of their own hurt or mental illness. There are yet others who get off on hurting others.
Couldn't stay out of this one,My Dad once told me walk into a bunch of poeple and say there' a theft,Lier,crook or what ever here and they would revile their selves' I think already a few have responded.Your post is very good and I agree Shadowcatche.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #41

Filtering!
There is riff. There is raff. Know the difference.

Turning!
Cheeks turn both ways. One way works better than the other.

Stinking!
Letting some things just lay there and do that.

Letting it slide!
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."
Dr. Sidney Friedman, MASH 4077.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminBig View Post
I read this forum for a couple years before I finally joined. I have found that there ARE about 1/2 dozen or so people who are pretty positive that if you don't share their opinion, it is because you are obviously stupid. LOL That being said, if I see their name as I scroll down, I just don't read what they posted because it usually isn't very helpful anyway. I never really thought of them as the "old guys"....I kinda more thought of them as the younger generation. Life's too short to even care. I don't know those people, nor do I want to. I just ignore them.
I'm with you. We are probably thinking of the same few over the top opinionated. I too just pass over their post.

Tags
forum