Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #1

To The Grumpy Old Men On This Forum

I've found this forum to be very useful and user friendly. I've gained good insight to outfitting our class A coach. When providing constructive feedback and comments to "Help" others.

Too often there are the "Grumpy Old Men" that comment and slam myself and many others who truly are commenting in good faith to help. Most of their slams are not helpful or constructive, but more to take a personal jab at the commenter.

My point being to these grumpy old men, remember what your mother told you, if you can remember back that far. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

I'm not here to argue or disagree but to help and learn from others and don't appreciate the grumpy old men pretending to be tough by slamming and putting other people down.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

Sorry you have had bad apples. I guess they have nothing to do but act like children. Thankfully most are not like this on this forum and are friendly and are glad to help. Hang in there

Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The first rule of iRV2 is "be nice to others". If you see a post that is not in keeping with this rule, please report it and the staff will take care of it for you.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

You will find them on every forum. Forums allow people to hide behind their monitors and take pot shots at others.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
The older you get the more you may resemble that remark.....

I found that many times, comments that are taken as being from grumpy old men are simply those comments that are in contrast to mine... Some people have thicker skin where others get offended at almost any comment that is not in agreement with what they said.

Oh, i forgot, I am just a grumpy old man...

I also find that this sight (iRV2) has more helpful folks that are truly interested in providing a helping hand than almost anywhere else.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
The first rule of iRV2 is "be nice to others". If you see a post that is not in keeping with this rule, please report it and the staff will take care of it for you.
I second that motion! Many users apparently don't know that the triangle with the "!" in the center icon (found in every post) will cause one of our moderators to look into the matter, and take the appropriate action.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Huh, it never occurred to me that those comments were from older men. Guess that means I need to start making more grumpy comments.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
I've found this forum to be very useful and user friendly. I've gained good insight to outfitting our class A coach. When providing constructive feedback and comments to "Help" others.

Too often there are the "Grumpy Old Men" that comment and slam myself and many others who truly are commenting in good faith to help. Most of their slams are not helpful or constructive, but more to take a personal jab at the commenter.

My point being to these grumpy old men, remember what your mother told you, if you can remember back that far. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

I'm not here to argue or disagree but to help and learn from others and don't appreciate the grumpy old men pretending to be tough by slamming and putting other people down.
Amen, brother.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #9

I've run into grumpy old men on various forums covering different hobbies, but not so much here. There are the topic cops and the people who like to pick on newbies simply for being new. Some will rag on you for posting in the wrong forum or not searching the forums before asking a question. There are always a few elders that everyone sings praises to and kisses up to. That's why I don't post much on some forums. Some forums can be entertaining when they all start fighting over petty stuff, though. Good moderators keep things civil.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We all have our problems, and some of them are with posts, yet others are with a grain of salt and it is unfortunate that we cannot see the smile, the smirk, or other gestures in the written word. Don't take every grumpy thing written as a gospel saying. We all have our faults.

And please use the appropriate where needed.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
The only problem I have with the OP is that some of those "grumpy old men" have a wealth of knowledge. When they see some internet whiz post wrong information, that they know from years of experience to be wrong, and refute it... Are your feathers gonna be ruffled, or will you heed the advise given in the spirit given? If I do that kind of thing when refuting someone, it is for the purpose of keeping someone safe, or preventing them from causing even more problems. Further, such a posting from me will always contain an explanation as to why the choice, process, or method of doing something is incorrect... People commenting here have helped me numerous times. None have ever seemed grumpy to me. I have read differences of opinion on these threads, and the ones with explanations always seem to win out.

Granted, I'm not talking about the snarky, Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs... mine's the best because after all... I picked it... and I can't be wrong... folks.

So, I think we should all try to be polite, and at the same time, be argumentative if the situation needs it. And by the way... reporting someone because their opinion is different than yours is bad form... and should earn the reporter a point if his refuted information is in fact... wrong.

Just my nickel's worth... (inflation)

JW
Old 10-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
There are those that try to boost them selves up by tearing others down. There are others whose internal sensor died, perhaps as a result of their own hurt or mental illness. There are yet others who get off on hurting others.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been on this forum for 6 years and haven't seen many of these grumpy old men posts. Maybe I don't read the right posts? If you see a post that you think is out of line, report it as already suggested.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, there are a few people on this site that can't resist putting down other people, but thank goodness they are VERY FEW!

When we first started RV'in in 2001 I found another forum and spent a lot of time there. I learned a lot there, but there was also a LOT of back-stabbing and putting other people down! Even the moderators were not very nice. Then I found IRV2! It's a totally different atmosphere here. Most of the folks here are very courteous and friendly, eager to share their knowledge and experience, and VERY patient with newbies. The Moderators do a wonderful job of keeping us straight, and are ALWAYS fair and respectful!

Let's face it, NO SITE is perfect, but I still maintain that this is the best!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum