Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2005, 05:58 AM   #15

I'm not as old as some of you, I must still be a kid at 58 I remember the team Klidsdales Horses that use to come down our street delivering milk(25 cent per gallon) and other goods to a local store. We lived about a block from the Studebaker Automobile Plant in South Bend, IN. Our streets we paved with red bricks by the WPA (what ever that means). Trains were smoke belching locomotives that you could hear from miles away.

Going out to eat was very rare, especially with 3 kids and Mom and Dad, and when we did it was usually the special, 21 shrimp and fries for 49 cent. Mom and Dad were both great cooks, even though that wasn't their occupation. Gramma use to eat lard sandwiches and she lived to 86, Granpa was a mellow sole, always tinkering in the wood shop. I'll never forget him telling me not to touch his straight razzor. Well I did and I paid the price. That razzor was so sharp, I cut my finger so fast I didn't know what happened. That bothered Grampa more then any thing.

Those were the goood old days! And now look where we have come.

Tomcat F15
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2005, 06:40 AM   #16

The only time I remember getting wacked was when I used my Moms best carving knife to fashion a toy truck out of a piece of sandstone. It was a great truck too... Kids have a hard time now using their imagination.. I was the lucky one to grow up in the "Good old days", Have married grand children, they tell me, Gramps you know at your age the mind is the third thing to go kaput, I forget what the other 2 was..Still I am not going to give up the microwave and the remote control, just to go back to those times. Thanks to IRV2 for this great site.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:26 AM   #17
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Not to change the bent on this thread, but I think most of the "legislation" that has "made us safer" over the years was enacted more to increase the "bottom line" of major companies rather that truly having our interest at heart.

To give you a prime example of what I mean, I wanted to replace my teribly scratched up glasses the other day using the same prescription, but was told that Texas had passed a law that in order to do that I had to have an eye examination that was less than a year old.

Same thing with my wife who wanted to get her teeth cleaned. Couldn't do it unless she had been examined by a Dentist less than a year ago. Again - Texas law.

I know people have to make a living, but do we need laws that make sure that they do?

You'd have a hard time convincing me that government (say lawyers) don't determine how we live our lives today which is a far cry from " the good old days"
Old 02-25-2005, 02:43 PM   #18

Mike, Lyn and Hara, Was it stick ball? I never played it but a New Yawker had to present a subject for an instructor's training class and gave us a presentation on stick ball. Art

A side note, his Dad never had a vehicle nor a drivers license. He lived in NYC. Can you imagine the money he saved? Art
Old 02-26-2005, 12:02 AM   #19

I remember handing daddy tools while he adjusted the points on the ol' Buick Centurion with the 455 CI motor. I remember it had a blue indian head high beam indicator light. I remember going to jr. high school and being excited because it had air conditioning. I remember getting a whoopin in school and then again at home when I messed up (and usually well deserved). I remember a "party line" (telephone) had a much different meaning than the ones they have today. The phone company had four of us on the same phone line so you had to listen before dialing to make sure no body else was on the line. How 'bout "blue law" sundays...couldn't buy toys. What about going to the movie for a buck. Chuck Taylor (Converse) high top tennis shoes. Stuckey's truck stops. Yellow shag carpet. Getting our silverware at Texaco with each fill up...eventually you'd have a complete set. The "mall" consisted of Sears, Wards and JC Penny. Ok...I'll quit now, I could go on all day with this.

'99 Sunnybrook/Mobile Scout 26cks
motorjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:49 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ArtB, I do remember stickball, but Allegro Happy's "kick the can" is what I had in mind.
How bout mumble peg, I think the mere position of a jack knife is a class "A" felony now.
Can anyone remember getting their feet x-rayed at Sears to make sure your shoes fit? Us kids were not tall enough to see our own so dad picked us up to see each others through the one of the view ports intended for parents on the other side of the machine. Boy those green foot bones with the outline of the shoes were cool.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:03 AM   #21

Par,

Now that you mention that,I do remember that. For some reason it didn't help me, my shoes were always too small. My Mom didn't want my shoes to fall off my feet, so my toes were tight in the toe of the shoes. That might explain why second toe next to the big toe is bent under like a claw. Just call me "claw foot".

Tomcat F15
Old 02-26-2005, 04:36 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tomcat,
Guess I got lucky, Mom wanted ours a little big so we didn't need a new pair quite so soon.
How many x-rays did you have, I think they outlawed those machines to prevent things like "claw foot". Oh well, we made it and to my knowledge my DNA didn't change so much as to pass anything along to the kids, g-kids or gg-kids.
Mike
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:35 PM   #23

I don't have any idea, I wouldn't have remembered it if you didn't remind me. Does that tell you something. They say the first thing to go is your memory, I can't remember what follows

I have signs of green around my edges, is that anything to worry about? I even glow in the dark
certains of the year.

Tomcat F15
"Bigger doesn't always mean it's better, but it might help."
Old 02-27-2005, 01:02 PM   #24

I remember when you got in trouble in school you wouldn't dare to go home and complain to your Dad because you would have gotten it worse at home.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:07 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Lenger:
LEnox 2-5709 (532-5079).

When I started college in Big Rapids MI in 1969 (yep, I'm old), the phone company was encouraging the people to dial all 7 numbers instead of the last 4 digits as they were in the process of adding another phone exchange.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I had a friend that went to Ferris State about that time. Jerry Shaw. Just maybe you might have known him. I'm from Muskegon, where did you grow up?
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #26

I grew up in Wyoming MI. We had a cottage at Port Sheldon, between Holland and Grand Haven. Spent about 6 weeks every summer there for about 18 years. My parents lived in Muskegon around WW2, then moved to the GR. We have many ties to western MI, and most of my family still lives there. Do an internet phone search on "Lenger" in Michigan. They're probably all related to me.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:42 PM   #27

I was born in "59", so I'm not as old as a lot of you. Still, I remember laying in bed in August with the sheets sticking to me....Yuck! We were the first in the area to get Air Conditioning, and Dad complained that if the neighbors didn't quit visiting so often he was going to get rid of it. LOL.
I got two pairs of shoes a year, one dress and one pair of Converse.... And buddy, they better last or you're in trouble.
Having a bicycle wreck and crying not because I was hurt (and I was), but because mom was going to be upset I had ruined my clothes.
Being constantly on your best behavior because you did not want to "bring dishonor on your family name".
Playing Army with gads of other kids, throwing rocks at each other, shooting BB guns at each other. Trying to dig a hole all the way to China. Watching my brother, my friends brothers, my cousins go off to Viet Nam..... Wondering if I was ever going to see them again........... Sadly, some I never did see again. Wondering, not IF, but WHEN the Russkie's were gonna nuke us.
Getting out for summer vacation and those 3 months seemed like they lasted a lifetime! Reading about Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer and building our own raft out of logs cut with our Boy Scout hatchets and tied together with wild grape vines...... Pushing off the bank and riding down the Emory River, to find out that grape vines really dont do a great job at holding logs together.......
Yeah, in some ways those were the "Good old Days" but I dont want to go back.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:08 AM   #28

Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stuck lo:
I was born in "59", so I'm not as old as a lot of you.
shooting BB guns at each other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh, yes, the BB gun fights. Did you use the metal garbage can lids? Remember the rules, no head shots!!! I was born in '59 also, and when I started driving, the CB radio was the fad. And, I learned to drive with a "three on the tree," on a grass airstrip. A 1964 Internationl Travelall. I learned all about 4 wheel drive when I put it in the ditch, and Dad told me to either figure out how to get it out, or walk home. At age 16, I was helping my Uncle on the farm, and he had a 1960 twin stick Mack that was used to haul corn, or whatever needed to be hauled. And, I was driving it. How did we survive?

Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote