Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #43
Great post!! Home phone was Webster 5-6466. My Dad's work was Union 6-0607, and Mom was always home. Never used the area code.
Those were the days. Simple was better.

Raymond Jordan
1997 U 320 Foretravel

1997 Foretravel
RTJ49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2005, 07:05 AM   #44
All the posts are great! I was born in '38, in Los Angeles, long before most of you. Milk was delivered by the milk man, vegetables for sale came down the street in an old truck, my sister followed the ice man on her bike and got in trouble for doing it, chickens and turkeys came from the "chicken man" and my mom picked out the one she wanted, telephone was AXminister 71842, put myself through college by being one of those "long distance operators". I learned how to make change and say "please" and "thank you". Simple really was better!

Sallys Mom
Now travelin' with Rags!
2010 Jayco Travel Trailer
Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:43 PM   #45
I got you beat on this earth by 3 years youngin.

About the milkman. He drove a horse-drawn cart pretty much shaped like the trucks later used. He carried some other dairy products, butter, cheese and eggs.

If you weren't home he'd come in and put the product(s) in the icebox.

We had a milkman until the mid 70s.

The ice man also was horse drawn but turned to trucks early on. He used to always give us kids a chip of ice. I still have a scar over one eye for running, tripping and hitting the sharp wooded edge of the icebox.

Both the milkman and the iceman were very fine, trusted people. Art

I should add though, that there was a lot of jokes about milkmen.
1996 Bounder 28T
---P* VXPP58A---
ArtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 AM   #46
Wow this thread could go on forever, I was born in 45 and it was the last of the big band era, but I remember Glen Miller, Harry james, Guy Lombardo, Laurence Welk. Dean , Frank, Perry, Joni James , Doris Day, Billy Haliday, Ertha Kit, and so many others of that era.
Then came Rock and Roll,"Elvis", Fats Domino, Richi Valens, Beach Boys, Four Lads, Fabian, Bobby Vee,Bobby Vinton, Frankie Avalon, The Four Aces, Sandra Dee, Annette, etc.etc.etc.
Wow what things we have seen and heard!!!!!!
PhilnJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:20 PM   #47
great topic!
We lived in a river valley, TV signal didn't reach us, just barely could get radio. Lone Ranger, Shadow, Green Hornet, Bobby Benson and the B_B ranch were on in the evenings.
Our telephone was on an eight member party line, you cranked the handle to make it ring. Long distance(off the party line) required the telephone operator. Hope this next memory doesn't make anyone ill, gasoline was 25 cents a gallon from a pump that you could watch the little propeller go around in the bowl as the gas was pumped. Mail box was at the country store, everybody, kids and adults arrived around 4pm, hung around the store porch gossiping until the mail was distributed. Summertime swam in the backwater(slough)of the Kettle river, wintertime shoveled the snow off the ice and ice-skated. Walked and bicycled everywhere within 10 miles of home. Collected refundable pop(soda)and beer bottles for for spending money. Almost everything we ate came from our garden, meat and milk from critters we raised. Those really were the good old days.
Randy, Karen and a couple of mangy cats
93 Hawkins 36DP, 03 Explorer
Borderbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:32 PM   #48
TErminal 1-6816

I just read this post, did it ever bring back memories!!!

I remember seeing the Queen Mary steam into Long Beach, CA. And watching the Catalina sea planes take off and land every day.

Those were the good old days!!!

Thanks, Clark
2005 Alfa See Ya 313 5er

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:50 PM   #49
Gotta put my two cents worth into this one! Gas was 15 cents per gallon when I started to drive, black and white was standard; my grandmother came west in a covered wagon to teach in Kansas and lived to see man land on the moon in color (the first color TV in our small town in Western Colorado). Grew up knowing if I was a "bad boy" in school, I could count on (a) a whipping in school; (b) a lecture from Grandmother on the way home (small town, OK) and a really hard *** whipping when Mom got hom...and another one when Dad got home. So, figure it out, I did not screw up to much, cause I can still sit on my butt and type this response! LOL! Regrets? only when a 50-passenger buss goes over a cliff and there are only 49 lawyers on board.
Bob and Kathleen Hartman

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #50
Grew up in Sherwood, OR. Phone number as a child ME9-2241. It was a 3 party line and you had to learn your ring and wait your turn on the phone.

I agree with 'how did we ever make it?' As I sit and listen to my daughter-in-law talk of all the things they have to have for the new baby it amazes me that we ever survived. She couldn't use the Ethan Allen crib we bought when my son's first wife was pregnant because the slats were too far apart. Bumpers would not work due to them being dangerous too. She has a new crib with ---- bumpers around it!

When she talks of all the safety precautions of seats, changing tables (diapers were changed on the couch or bed), diapers, disinfectants, and the list goes on - I wonder how we survived in the car laying in the back window, sitting in the front seat, riding in the back of the pickup (we did have racks on it so the cows and hay could be hauled), drinking from the hose, using the outhouse or behind the bushes when out in the woods with leaves for TP; homemade bow & arrows, sucking on rocks, making mud pies - the list goes on of things that are not safe anymore.

I miss the freedom and safety of the 'good ole days'(gone all day, home by dark; acres of woods and swamps to play in; fresh, warm cows milk; couldn't afford a horse but we rode the cows, pigs and goats; and yes working in the garden and bringing in the hay) but as others have said I enjoy my RV with all its comforts. We earned it. I dont' miss waking up in the cold mornings running to the warmth of the wood stove to dress or the campfire when tent camping to get warm.

I feel sad for kids now because they dont' have the safety and freedom we had. Their life is so much more complicated and unsafe. I watch my grandkids and all the stress they have to endure in their young lives and wonder 'why?' do their lives have to be this way.

As for prices going up, lawsuits, etc. - I wonder if it was grounded in the desire to have it all NOW instead of working for it like we did? The generation after us have gotten into so much financial trouble due to the desire to 'have it now'instead of working for it.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #51
Jayco Owners Club
My dad's business phone number in Minneapolis was 7225. It was long distance to call St. Paul. When the phone company saw the impending doom of running out of phone numbers, it went to Federal 7225. And then more doom and it went to Federal 3
7225 and then they just said 333 7225. Area code?
What was that? Call Bessy and have her hook me up with Fargo and pull the line tight.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 27dsrl
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 diesel 4x4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #52
I grew up in rural Western N.C. We had 2 cows; 1 was fresh (had given birth and had lots of milk) while the other was pregnant and then dry. My Dad milked the cows, and my Mom strained the milk, made buttermilk and butter. We raised our own fruit and vegetables and canned them for the winter. We raised two hogs, which were killed on Thanksgiving because the weather was cold enough to hang the meat. My Dad cured the meat; my Mom made sausage, livermush, and such. Other than flour, sugar, and salt, we were pretty much sustainable as far as food was concerned.
I went to a country school on a bus; then went to a consolidated rural high school, and then went to college - the first in my family to do so. We were country folk, but we managed, didn't owe money (at least not for long periods), and my parents reared 5 girls to be adults.
By the way, we didn't get a phone until I was in high school; telephone lines didn't extend that far until then. One of the neighbors got a little round 13" B&W TV and I would go watch Uncle Miltie with my girl friend. Great shows back then - Arthur Godfrey, Perry Como, etc.

Annie K. and Sparky the long haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300W
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #53
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
- Do kids have as much fun today as we did?

- Those were the days. Simple was better.

- Simple really was better!

- Those really were the good old days.

- Now those were the days.
The comments like the ones said above by some of you folks are very much true ...but, why is our projected life span of today longer than that of yesterday? ...we all know the answers. I'll keep the memories of yesterday but remembering today is better.

Rich - <span class="ev_code_RED">1938 vintage of Bristol, TN/VA</span>
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:52 AM   #54
Am I the youngest one here at 33? As young as I am, I still remember a lot of those things. I lived in an area that time forgot and we were quite a bit behind the time. Charles Chips and Schwan's delivered food to our house. If we were not there they would come in and leave it. Pickup the signed blank check my mom had left and fill it out. Our doors were never locked (except when my sister started sleepwalking and that was to keep her in, not other people out LOL). We did lock the back door while we were on vacation, but the front door remained unlocked so that the neighbors could get something if they needed it or check on the house for us. Cox's meat truck would come around to deliver meat. We were the first with a color tv with remote. My dad built it from a heathkit kit. He also built the antennae for the roof and the rotor with the box in the house so we could turn it w/o leaving the living room. We had one wall furnace to heat the whole house and one of those little gas heaters in the wall of the bathroom that you had to light with a match whenever you turned it on. I remember pushing my little white heiney as close to it as possible after my bath trying to get warm, but also trying not to catch my towel or tooshie of fire. I would not dream of allowing my kids that close to an open flame now.

I remember barrel walking and races on them. Remember the old barrels/oil drums. You had to get on top of it, get your balance and run backwards to get it to roll forward. Keeping it going straight was another story. We had so much fun.

Do you remember computer bulletin boards before the internet.

Our phone number was 9241. Later I learned it was 764 first, but until the mid 80's you did not have to dial it because our area was so small. And that prefix was for 4-5 towns. We had 1 phone, mounted into the wall of the kitchen with a wire that retracted into the wall when you were there. That was high tech. No private conversations as they were all had in the kitchen. We also had to limit our time on the phone because of no call waiting. I got $1/hr for babysitting and thought I was rich. We walked to the corner store/gas station to get candy when we had money. We had a large wooded area behind our house and would build clubhouses out of the tree branches. Boy those were the days. I really don't think my mom knew half of what we did or she never would have let us leave the house.

School, I remember the principles paddle. I would have never "tattled" on a teacher. If I told a teacher my mom or dad spanked me she probably would have said "so what". A trip to the woodshed was standard not forbidden.

As a parent with 5 kids from 2-14 (and one on the way) I now have to fear what will happen if someone finds out I spank my kids. When did a swat on the backside become abuse. Everyone amazes at how well behaved my kids are. When we go to a restaurant, they stay at the table. If they want more drink, they wait for the waitress to come and then say "excuse me, may I please have more soda?" When she brings it, they say "thank you". Why is this amazing to people? Why is this no longer the standard. Now all you hear is how horrible children in restaurants are. I actually have older couples stop by my table on the way out to compliment our kids. Why do they deserve a compliment for sitting still at the dinner table? I expect that and that is what they give. "Oh, but you can't expect kids to sit still. They need to be kids" Oh yes I can. They are kids when they are outside or playing in their room. When they are in a restaurant, they are still kids, just know how to act in different enviornments.

As for the person who stated that their kid's teacher wanted them to tell on any parent that laid a hand on them. That is why I homeschool.

In fact, I am so glad I have come across this thread. Thank you guys so much of reminding me what the old days were like. This is why I homeschool. I am going to add these things into our curriculum. Kick the can, stick ball, huck finn and building a raft. Maybe we will even build a soap box car. Remember those?! I hear some homeschool groups still have soap box races. How cool is that? I wish I could grow a garden. My thumb is so brown that when I go for walks my neighbor's flowers wilt as I pass by LOL! Can't keep fish either.

Thank you so much for sharing the good ol days with me and reminding me of what being a kid was all about. I am inspired!!!!

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:54 AM   #55
Oh, and friend just sent me this. I think it fits in here.

1. Your houseplants are alive, and you can't
smoke any of them.

2. Having +sex in a twin bed is out of the

3. You keep more food than beer in the fridge.

4. 6:00 AM is when you get up, not when you go
to bed.

5. You hear your favorite song in an elevator.

6. You watch the Weather Channel.

7. Your friends marry and divorce instead of
"hook up" and "break up."

8. You go from 130 days of vacation time to 14.

9. Jeans and a sweater no longer qualify as
"dressed up."

10. You're the one calling the police because
those #@$% &lt;mailto:/#@$%&gt; &*) kids next door won't turn down the

11. Older relatives feel comfortable telling
-sex- jokes around you.

12. You don't know what time Taco Bell closes

13. Your car insurance goes down and your car
payments go up.

14. You feed your dog Science Diet instead of
McDonald's leftovers.

15. Sleeping on the couch makes your back

16. You take naps.

17. Dinner and a movie is the whole date
instead of the beginning of one.

18. Eating a basket of chicken wings at 3 AM
would severely upset, rather than settle, your

19. You go to the drug store for ibuprofen and
antacid, not condoms and pregnancy tests.

20. A $4.00 bottle of wine is no longer
"pretty good stuff."

21. You actually eat breakfast food at
breakfast time.

22. "I just can't drink the way I used to"
replaces "I'm never going to drink that much again."

23. 90% of the time you spend in front of a
computer is for real work.

24. You drink at home to save money before
going to a bar.

25. When you find out your friend is pregnant
you congratulate them instead of asking "Oh no what the heck happened?"

26: You read this entire list looking
desperately for one sign that doesn't apply to you and can't find one to save your sorry old butt. Then you forward it to a bunch of old pals & friends 'cause you know they'll enjoy it & do the same.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:05 AM   #56
Jayco Owners Club
My mom had to walk 12 miles every sunday to go to church. It was uphill both ways and the 10' snowdrifts were there even in the summer.

2016 Jayco White Hawk 27dsrl
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 diesel 4x4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote