Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #57
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
My mom had to walk 12 miles every sunday to go to church. It was uphill both ways and the 10' snowdrifts were there even in the summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #58
Heartland RV Club
Yep.... been there and done most of that. Just wish most of the kids now a days would have to live or do what we did back then and we could still have all the conviences that we have earned while they suffer as we did.

jimtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #59
Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Hope I can find my way back.......

WAlnut 2-5144 Yup, we had a party line too! And that darn neighbor lady could gab for hours..

B/W tv finally replaced that BIG radio my parents had in the living room. The radio was one of those fancy ones with multiple bands and Dad could even pull in the BBC if conditions were just right!

While we all think of the things we didn't have "back then", consider this...We had it easy. Back then there was less history to learn!

Recently saw a message about a fella that saw an amazing list of things/events happen during his lifetime (Moon visit, color TV, computers, etc)Wouln't you know it! That whippersnapper was 2 years younger than me!
Mike & Patty

plus Buddy & Lucy
RV Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:04 AM   #60
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a wooden wall phone with a crank. Our number was either 301 or 103, not sure which (It was a long time ago!). Our ring was a long and a short. You could tell who on the party line was getting the call by their ring. To call someone on the party line just turn the crank for their ring code. half turn = short, full turn = long etc. Area code??

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #61
I split my childhood between Ontario and Oxnard, CA. It was wonderful. Ontario was 1339 Chaffey Court. We lived at the end of a cul-de-sac and we had 80 kids on the street. Moms were home all day every day. We had the Helms bakery guy for cookies.

We sat and watched television with the whole familyand non of us were fat or even flabby because first of all we rode our bikes about 10 miles every day. And then we had to get up and walk across the room to change one of the 3 channels we got on our black and white TV.

Our mom's would kick us out of the house in the morning and we could not come back in till dinner. It was a magic time for sure, and I do not ever remember the sun not shinning.

Every night after dinner which was usually fried food

However, with those good times were my two friends who died of leukemia, my brother had polio and suffers to this day at almost 60 years old. I had pneumonia and almost checked out. "Let's just think about the good times, let the bad times fade away".

The Jewel Tea man would come around and all the moms would buy "house dresses"

God Bless and Pleasant Journeys,
Dave Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #62
Amen, Amen, Amen. Thank the Good Lord for every time i got spanked all 6 blocks from school to the house as I never got into trouble as a young adult or as an adult. Only had to spank my kids a couple of times, and it does "hurt me more than you", and I could not be more proud of them.
terry & lisa with trevor (our boston )in memory, 2005 winne sightseer 30b
tbrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #63
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We use to give a quarter ,so we could ride around at night in a friend 50 Ford. I was the only one that had license. We stayed on dirt roads. There would be four of five of us guys on Saturday nights. Sometimes he would turn off the lights and we would coast down the hills.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:46 PM   #64
Great topic brings back so much. I remember selling ice to people for their ice box to raise a few cents to spend on penny candy. So much time has gone by so fast.
02 F250 PSD
03 Carriage Cameo F27RKS
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:50 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Ah me - the memories! War 2 was raging when I entered this world - TV set in 1947 (DuMont 9" round screen). Home phone was 4056. School busses didn't exist and Shanks Mare was the form of transportation to & from. Cousin Brucie & Dan Ingram on " Seventy-seven WABC!". The 2 worst things you could hear from Mom were - "Go up to your room and wait until you Father gets home" & "Your full name yelled so that the whole neighborhood could hear" (and know you were in deep doo-doo too).How I miss her voice. Thanks for the memories guys!

Mark & Sheila Heilman & The 3 Fur-Ball Princesses - Nikko, Mai-Thai & Andy
'07 MADP 4523, 2012 GMC Terrain SLT 2 wd
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, M&G Engineering Dinghy Braking System

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #66
Ran across these postings of everyone refecting on the past, enjoyed reading them all.

A friend's son had to interview someone that lived in the area for a time for a class paper. I am by no stretch a writer, and tend to ramble a bit, but the following are my fond memories. If you are from Southern California, you will know of the places mentioned.

Some points of interest regarding the History of Orange County, California

As related to Dan Goron:

My name is Walt Darden; I am sixty years young, or old, depending on ones' perception. I have lived in the Orange County area since 1960, forty-five years and counting down. I am a Native American by heritage, born in the Great State of Texas. Spent most of my teen years in the Costa Mesa area. In 1960, this community had a total population of twenty-six thousand people, and that included Newport Beach. Costa Mesa had two police cars, and the Station was located in a small shack behind a gas station on 20th Street and Newport Avenue. My parents at the time purchased our first home on Costa Mesa Street, just north of Irvine Blvd, for at the time, the huge sum of $9,995.00. My guess today, this same home would sell for 600 $700, 00.00 dollars. Do the math, a remarkable gain on the original investment. If I had stayed in high school (got in a hurry to get on with my life), I would have been in the first graduating class at Costa Mesa High, class of 63 pupils in 1962.

As most people that live in Orange County originally coming from somewhere else, it is rare today to find a Southern California resident over thirty years of age that was born here.

Regarding the name "Orange" and the "Orange Groves". The county derived its name from the Orange fruit, this being the major crop that the earlier settlers farmed for income. The majority of Central and South county was covered with groves up until the mid-sixties when the development began in the area. One very common "saying" back then was, "my home used to have an Orange Grove across the street". Now, I do not get the nice smell from the Orange Blossoms each spring.... Only more and more houses.

The Strawberries were largely farmed in the Fountain Valley area, and some in South County. They still are today where the land has not been developed into housing or commercial buildings. Fountain Valley (forget what it was known as before) did not even exist as a town until the early seventies. You could stand on the bluff in Costa Mesa (called Goat Hill), and see nothing but strawberry and bean fields until the little downtown area next to the Huntington Beach Pier. The original pier structure was made from wood, with only a Bait stand at the end, no Ruby's'. It was destroyed sometime in the late sixties or seventies due to a storm. The Main Street area was just a few shops and restaurants, mostly Surf related (SURF CITY USA). The corner where Jacks Surf Shop is located now, was the original Dewey Weber Surf Board Shop. Dewey was one of the early pioneers of the sport back then along Hobie Alter (long before he invented the Hobie Cat), Dale Velsey and others. I used to shape boards for Velsey when his shop was at the Newport Pier, next to where Charlie's Chile is now. Interestingly, Dale Velsey was the very first Surfboard maker to put a logo on a t-shirt. When was the last time you saw a kid wearing a t-shirt without some sort of Brand Identification? Huntington Beach and Newport was hugely popular for surfing, not so different from today. But there was no rivalry between us Newport guys, then nobody pretended to own their favorite surfing spot. Just back then, you were riding a "long board" looking ahead at very little development on the shoreline. When the new retail establishments came along they did away with one of my favorite nightspots, The Golden Bear. The Golden Bear was a popular West Coast entertainment stopover for some of the biggest acts of the time. I saw Bob Dylan, the Beatles did a walk on' one night when Kim Carnes was playing along with countless others, Hoyt Axton played regularity and was considered the House Band. Hoyt was a local hero, and later became an actor doing bit parts in a lot of movies. His biggest hit song was a tune he wrote for "Three Dog Night", number one on the charts,,,,,,,,,, "Joy to the World". Now for those that do not know what a Three Dog Night' is, I'll share a little trivia. In the Outback of Australia, the coldness of the night was determined by how many dogs a person had to cuddle up with to stay warm. What was really great back then for the teenagers was there were a number of places to go and have fun, listen to music, or just hang out. Newport had the Rondeview (sp) on the Balboa Peninsula adjacent to the pier, Dick Dale was always there Fri/Sat nights, originating the "Surfers Stomp", along with The Righteous Brothers, my favorite, (it burned down), Long Beach had the Cinnamon Cinder, Seal Beach had Trestles, and last but not the least, Whittier had the Harmony Park Ballroom. Back then if you did not surf, you were a "greaser", and "greasers" went to Harmony Park. I was a surfer, but I also loved going to Harmony Park, and the greasers didn't bother me. The Greasers drove the cool 49 Mercury cars and did that Dance where the guys would line up on one side, the girls on the other........ Then take turns doing the stroll down the middle....... Hot Stuff. Nowadays a lot of the music is fowl by language and I am not sure if dancing is slamming each other on the floor. I'll take Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan over Rap any day. Everything seemed so simply then, with Rock n' Roll music emerging and becoming a big part of our lives. The music of the time had a great deal to do with the social structure of our personalities. I now refer to this time as "The Age of Innocence". What does not seem to exist today are places like the above for the young kids to go to. All of these places mentioned were open for the under twenty-one crowds, and just served soft drinks.... Good clean fun.

Note regarding Bob Dylan: Few realize it today with Dylan being the somewhat strange in his demeanor kind of person, but this guy was a giant in the early sixties. There is no other poet/songwriter of our time that can acclaim to being the essence of what brought about a social change in this society. His songs "Blowing in the Wind", "Like a rolling Stone", "Times are a Changing" are anthems of the music that came out of what we called "Coffee Houses" then (not Starbucks). His "Changing of the Guards" was probably his most prolific in speaking of what man has faced, and what is to come.

There was a club/restaurant called Sid's Blue Beet in an alleyway at the Newport Pier. It is still there today, but doubt if Sid is still around. Sid was a unique character, and the place catered to the Beatnik" crowd. Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie music was what you heard here. What you never did here was ask the waiter (Sid) for any seasoning for your dinner, he would say, "If you don't like the way I fix it in the kitchen, then go eat somewhere else".

There were only "surfers" and "greasers"; the studious type later became the geeks'. Preppies did not come along until society was more affluent and IZOD came to market. What we surfers wore for clothing was quite a simple uniform. We did not have a gazillion choices for tennis shoes then, so, if you were from Newport and had money (different then, Newport was the only place rich kids lived, but they were not snobbish...they were cool too) you wore Sperrys (Top Siders), coming from Costa Mesa, us poor guys had the only other choice, VANS. You may not believe it but in 1965 Vans opened their first retail store on Victoria and Harbor Blvd, and you could buy the standard blue lace-up for $9.95.... and Made In The USA (Orange City). The other two pieces of our standard attire was Levis 501 (had to have the buttons, or you were square), and a JC Penney white short sleeve t-shirt with a breast pocket. It is crazy watching kids today being so caught up in the popular Brand Names that change by the week. We would not have been caught dead back then wearing pants fifteen sizes to big, and our butt crack showing. We would get excited about getting new "pack of six" white tee-shirts......Yes, times have changed, that pack of six shirts cost six dollars and ninety-five cents then.

Other than the Spaniards that were the first settlers to arrive from Mexico setting up the Missions, there was a group of Germans that established one of the first communities here...... and called it Anaheim, not sure of its German meaning. The oldest established commercial center in the county is the Circle, in again "Orange City".

A farmer by the name of Walt Disney had a vision, guess what he saw? He had a likeness for trains, built one large enough for the neighborhood kids to come over and ride around on. In seeing how much they enjoyed themselves, he said, "I think I should expand on this idea"........... Little did he know then that providing a place for kids to have fun, would later become a "big business"

A few of the first families that received large land grants from Mexico were. The IRVINES: Owning most of the area south of the 55 Freeway to Laguna, west of the 5 Freeway to the ocean. The third generation, Joan Irvine Smith sold her last remaining interest in The Irvine Company to Donald Bren years ago, who now is one of the wealthiest persons in the county. The O'NEILL family: owned the property east of the 5 Freeway to the foothills, and south to San Juan Capistrano. Much of this property that is located east of O'Neill Park is still in the family. The Mission Viejo Company (later owned by the Phillip Morris Tobacco Company) purchased the land and built the first commercial housing track in South County in 1963 ....... Selling nice homes for $19,000.00, and called the development Mission Viejo. Most of the other communities in South County were developed by the Rancho Santa Margarita Company (Tony Moiso). The Segarstroms: Owned from the 405 Freeway (not there then) north to Warner Ave, and from the 55 Freeway (Newport Ave) west to Harbor Blvd. They were Bean farmers up until the mid-sixties, then realizing they could make more money selling land rather than beans. They developed South Coast Plaza (the highest grossing shopping mall in the US) by attracting Sears and May Company to build their stores there. The two merchants thought with the property being out in the middle of nowhere, they would be crazy to build there, When the Segarstroms offered the land for free, they could not pass up an offer to good to refuse. Others thought the Segarstroms were stupid to give the land away, me, I thought they were visionaries. The mall first opened in January of 1966, with just a handful of tenants along with the two anchors. ..... Now it is so large it is difficult to cover all the stores in one day. What really upset us teenagers at the time was the mall taking away our one-quarter mile drag strip. When there was nothing out there but bean fields, we had part of Sunflower Ave marked off, and Friday/Saturday nights we would race our cars up and down the street. On a typical Friday / Saturday night, a guy and his buddies would cruise two places, Oscars Drive Inn on 1st and Grand Avenues in Santa Ana, or Mels Drive Inn on PCH and Mac Arthur Blvd in Corona Del Mar (there was no Fashion Island then). These two places still had carhops that brought your drinks to your car, and wore the black/white saddle shoes (this kind of stuff wasn't just in the movies; it was real for us then). "Rave On" by Buddy Holly and "Summertime Blues" by Eddie Cochran (the first Rebel Rouser) could be heard blaring on the Juke Box. If you had a fast car (I did, a forty-six Ford Sedan with a 289 Fuel Injected Chevy motor), and you wanted to race, you would circle the group of cars in the parking lot until someone would flash their lights on you (this meant he was choosing' you off'), he would follow you out and off to Sunflower Ave you both would go. If you hung out on this street for most of the evening, most everybody would show up. And it was always the case that we would let the prettiest girls have the privilege of being the flag girl'. We have street racers today, the Bonsai' / Rice Burners" and the like, but they don't' get it. We had fun, but nobody ever got hurt. The local police did not bother us (sometimes they would stop by and watch the racing too), because they knew we would not do anything stupid like racing on crowded city streets.......... It was so different then when you knew each of the local officer's first names, and they knew yours'. One of the officers that use to work just weekends, largely keeping track of us guys either at our drag strip, or over at Bob's Big Boy (another hang out) on 17th street was named Norm something or another........ a good guy and he later became Chief of Police for Costa Mesa when they moved into that modern high rise building.

The Segarstroms went on to become one of the largest commercial developers in the county, but still maintains the original Farm House on the north side of the 405. Being the wealthy people they became, and wanting to give back to the county, they donated the majority of funds necessary to build the Orange County Center for the Performing Arts, a very nice center. The Peraltas: Owned what we now know as Orange, Anaheim Hills, Peralta Hills, East Hills, Yorba Linda, and Placentia.

There were other landowners too, but the above four were the biggest. With Orange County being what it is today, it is nice to reflect back and realize that so little of what we see today wasn't here forty-five years ago. The ideal climate being probably the largest reason that attracted people to the area when Los Angeles began expanding south.

In asking, "Was it a good place to live then"? Yes, and it still is. Without having the perspective of were all this all came from, or what it was like back then... You just either like what it is today or you don't. Personally, I wish it had never changed, but that is not being very realistic. Just imagine Orange County without any smog.... why, then there were no freeways. There were no freeways because we did not have so many people in cars, always seeming to go somewhere different than the place they are at. We did not have any gangs, no drive by shootings, "and drugs" hadn't even been invented yet. It was a much easier time to get along and be friends with everybody. The biggest duty the Costa Mesa police force had at the time was cruising around looking for the hooligans ditching school' for the day. Playing "Hooky" was probably the worst thing we ever did. Long Beach had "The Pike" (located where the Convention Center is now... burned down), an amusement park with all the rides, roller coaster, tattoo parlors, and it was a favorite place to go when skipping school.

What is most distinctive between then and now are the people. Interestingly, it used to be that all the gardeners were Caucasian, same working in the Rubbish Services around the county. Then, both the rich and the poor seemed to meld together in to one society. Different from today, where affluent people live all over the county, then there was only Newport, the Highlands area of Corona Del Mar, and Peralta Hills that people with lots of money lived. Maybe it was the affluence of our society that created a vacuum by which the migrant workers came north to find work, now becoming the largest segment of our population.

In conjunction with the higher prices of houses today..... Probably the one other big contrast between then and now................... In the sixties, a person could fill up their ten gallon Volkswagen gas tank for less than $3.00, and amount that today will buy just over a gallon. "Gas Wars" between the stations were a regular occurrence, and the retail price would range from .23 to .29 cents a gallon...... Diesel was 15 to 18 cents, but farmers only bought that stuff for their tractors.

............ YES,,,, IT WAS GOOD BACK THEN

Yet, we must keep things in perspective. Then, I grossed all of $400.00 a month, had no debt, and paid cash for all my cars. Now, I gross considerably more, but buy my vehicles on time for a sum of three times an amount I paid for my first home in 1971. I remember my first pay day (cash in a little vanilla envelope) in the Army in 1969, all of $116.00..... And that was for the whole month of January. Today I drive a nice motorhome that would take over three months of military pay to fill up the diesel tank, and two years income to make one payment.

I guess it really isn't about how much anything cost, or the monthly payment, just can we afford them. I would never have dreamed back then to be able to obtain what I have today.

I friend once joked (while I was in ICU recovering from a heart attack), "Walt, stay in debt, and you will live forever"..... Because you know, the people you owe money to will not let you die until you get them paid off.

Walt / Julie Darden

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #67
Well Put Walt.....well put
PhilnJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #68
Do you remember the CANDY CIGARETTES ???

Wasn't that in the late 40's and early 50's ??

iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #69
Our first number was HOward3-1097. I remember my aunt getting a B&W TV with something called "UHF channels". Channel 50, WKBD out of Detroit used to broadcast the races from Mt. Clemens Speedway, (Now it's Gibralter's, a huge flea market). This was the main reason to get the TV. I remember playing outside all day and like was said before, nobody worried about something "bad" happening to you. I remember getting hit by my Dad, one time. That was enough. Didn't want or need any more. There was no counting one....two....three to get the children to do something. It was a snap of the fingers, and you jumped, NOW. I have been in several places, where the parents actually disciplined their kids, instead of letting the kids walk all over then. This was usually a stearn talking to, or even a swat on the butt. A few times, I have actually walked up to the parents and thanked them. You could see the look on their faces as I approached, like Oh no... but they are shocked to see someone with the same ideas on child rearing as they have. When I was raised, this used to be the norm....What happened?
F-250 Powerstroke
31' American Star 5th wheel
SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #70
WIndsor6-4232 In Levittown, PA. One of the first suburban developments on the East coast it was a safe place for kids in the 50s. Summers were heavenly. I remember:

Spending all day at the pool without UV-30 protection.

Riding my bike with my girlfriends for miles, toting fluffernutter or balogna sandwiches after Mom made us "go out and stay out" until dinner time.

Chasing fireflies and playing hide and seek in the hedges until bathtime.

Sunday's roast turned into at least three different meals by Friday which was Fish Day, of course.

Begging to stay up just a half hour more on Friday nights-to READ!

Checking the Legion of Decency list on the bulletin board in the hallway before heading off to the Saturday matinee. Cartoons, Newsreel, Gene Autry episode, first feature, 2nd feature then stay to see it again All for 50 cents plus a dime for Jots or Raisinets.

Franks and beans for Saturday night supper then polish the shoes for church. After bath put on a long nightgown and learn to waltz on Daddy's feet to the music of Libarace and Aurthur Murray's Dance Studio.

Shining hair, perky hat, clean dresses and white gloves for church. Then off for a drive to Valley Forge or other historical park.We took turns each week to see which of the four of us sat in the front seat.

Those drives and summer camping vacations led to today's fulltime RV life and historical storytelling. Could Mom and Dad have known what an education they provided with the simple things?

Swimming in the flood water after a hurricane made a pool out of the dip in the street.

Selling Girl Scout cookies door to door and winning the prize for most boxes in 1957 (110 boxes-$.45 each)

Even the bad stuff had some good memories;

Getting Polio shots- on my birthday 3 years in a row! Then having Mom take me for ice cream to make up for it.

Measels, Mumps,and Chicken Pox Miserable except for staying home from school and an extra Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames or Trixie Beldon book when Dad came home from work!

Ooops! This could go on forever. Fun Thread!

The Marcie half :&gt

Marcie,Jim & Clancy

97 Winnebago Adventurer
taletellers is offline   Reply With Quote