Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2005, 06:26 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they
carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored
lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took
hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we
weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back
when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no
99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no internet or internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! Please pass this on to others who
have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government
regulated our lives 'for our own good.'

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2005, 06:26 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they
carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored
lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took
hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we
weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back
when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no
99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no internet or internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! Please pass this on to others who
have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government
regulated our lives 'for our own good.'

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Old 02-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #3

Remember when there was ONE telephone per house. It sat in a niche in the hallway and rang real loud. You could here it from three houses down in the summer since all houses had all the windows open day and night. That was the air conditioning. You could also hear your mother calling you to supper from a block away. If she used your first, middle, and last name you knew you were late or in trouble, and everyone in the neighborhood knew it too.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:54 PM   #4

AAAHHHH, yes those were the days. And we watched black & white TV with no remote. And we never locked our front doors. In fact when it was hot you left the door open so the air would come in thru the screen door. And remember 3-4 party lines on telephone? How many other things? ....... add to it.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:08 PM   #5

Who remembers the phone number to their house when they were a kid?

Ours was ANdrew2 7761

Iv'e had a dozen since then and cant remember most but I remenber the first one! The area code covered half the state of Texas.

Radio was all AM. There was a station 500 miles away in Mexico we could here at night in Dallas County. The "X" Remember the ZZ Top song "Heard it on the X" It is about that station. Wolfman Jack was on the air and Bob Wills.

During the second or third moon landing, my grandparents were at our house and saw it on TV. They had no TV at their house out in the country. That night, my Grandpa & I went into the yard with binoculars and looked at the moon. He asked me if those guys on TV were up there. When I replied yes, he said man can do anything cant he! My grandpa was in his seventies at the time (born in 1898) and saw the horse and mule pre electric house life progress to the space age. No other generation will have that
Old 02-24-2005, 02:30 PM   #6

My phone # was 7190. I don't remember if there was an area code. Art
(Was in the 40s, Joplin, MO)
Old 02-24-2005, 04:25 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice post Lynn, but we should remember that "those lawyers and government" that you mention are really the same "kids" as you and I. I guess we could say that we did it to ourselves.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:05 PM   #8
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Great post Lynn.
WAterfall 8-0031 was the number. 312 covered most of ILL. The Nuns carried rulers up their sleeves, and you didn't dare tell dad you got hit cause he would add to it. As Archie Bunker would say "those were the days ". And if mom ever called your middle name, you started saying every prayer you could think of as you ran home . We were let out of our school rooms when I lived in Fla. and watched the blast off as John Glenn blasted off for the first trip in space. We all wanted to go to space.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:05 PM   #9

I couldn't tell you what our phone number was, but I remember my dads Mercury Comet. Getting my fingers slammed in the door of my moms Ford Fairlane and Cal Worthington was young. It was his dealership I got my fingers slammed in the car door. How about the Buick Century stationwagon with the stick on simulated wood panels. Also listening to my mom complain when we had to pay .40 cents a gallon for gas in Needles on a return trip from Kingman, AZ. To change chanels on the TV you had to get up and turn a knob. Dont forget the 8-track tapes. The CHP ruled the highways driving Dodge Magnums (440 hemi) and Dodge Polaras, and the unexpected side trip to Calico Ghost Town so my dad could get off the freeway behind the CHiPpie that was getting on to stop my dad from speeding. Oh for those days.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:42 PM   #10

LEnox 2-5709 (532-5079).

When I started college in Big Rapids MI in 1969 (yep, I'm old), the phone company was encouraging the people to dial all 7 numbers instead of the last 4 digits as they were in the process of adding another phone exchange.

It wasn't all that long ago that AZ added additional area codes to the 602 that covered the whole state.

I would go out an play with my friends and travel miles from home and be gone all day long. My parents had no idea where I was. As a teen I would go out fishing alone in Lake Michigan 5 miles off shore in a rowboat with a 3.9HP outboard. I only did that when the weather was perfectly clear, but if something had happened,no one would have had any idea where I was. We also used to ride in the back of a pickup truck going 70 MPH down the country roads.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:02 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
CHerry-5577 (1955)

and i remember that as a young tyke if i intentionally misbehaved (and I swear neither I or my brother ever did) my dad's hand would wallop us into the next century.
Just a couple months ago my 12 year old told me his teacher tells the kids that if their parents EVER lay a hand on them to tell the teacher. I can't wait to see what would happen then. What ever happened to the parents raising the kids??
And how did we all turn out from having folks who would smack the smart aleck kid?? GREAT,
and do i love my dad even though I had a few bruised sholders as a kid?? ... well, my brother and I just celebrated our parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary last week!!!! with them in Yosemite. I just got back home a couple days ago. What wonderful and loving parents!!

(And Yosemite is gorgeous this time o' year.)

Oh, and maybe I should go smack my kid's teacher, but i suppose i will wisely decide not to.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Those were the days, remember the neighborhood meetings to swap ration stamps, those who had extra stamps for batteries would swap with those with extra for tires or sugar etc.
Can remember licking and sticking stamps into booklets (like green stamps in later years) when the book was full it was turned in for a war bond.
Can remember dad putting a liner between the tube and the tire to get a few more miles out of them on the'39 Ford, did the same with thin cardboard in our shoes, there were no Dr. Sholes pads then.
How bout mom taking the top and bottom off tin cans, putting them inside and stomping on them to flatten and save for the war effort. Soon learned, if the top and bottom were left on, when you stomped on them they would lock on the heal of your shoe, then you could run down the sidewalk hollering clippie clop.
There are many memories now that I think back, but speaking of cans, can anyone remember the name of the game we played with them when there were not enough mitts and baseballs to go around?
Now those were the days.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:29 AM   #13

"Kick the Can" That was cheap fun, no toys, but still played anyway. Any women remember the rhymes we used to sing when we jumped rope? Boy do I remember a few. By the way, we are not old, just seasoned a bit

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:07 AM   #14

Well I grew up in the 70s and I am pretty sure my dad invented the tv remote control.If I remember it right I think he called it Frankie . It seems kids have had it progressivly easier over the last 4 decades.All I know is when my brother and I got a B&W tv for christmas one year in our room,we were the talk of the neighborhood.Our kids today are to spoiled.We had Pong they have video games so real looking it almost looks live.Oh well,there goes the addage I want them to have more then I did.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote