Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

To TPMS or not TPMS....

... That is not the question!

I know there has been many conversations here regarding TPMS both pro and con. I thougt I would share a recent set of events that really highlights some pros and cons of not having and having a tire pressure monitor system. Hopefully it will help someone else in a strange way.. Lol

Chapter 1:
As my sig states I drive and tow a 2015 Rubicon which has a built in TPMS from the factory. About two weeks ago I am crushing down I4 in central frorida my TPMS starts going off telling me I am losing pressure in my right rear. NO WAY, I just left home, but it keeps going down so I get off at the next exit and sure enough tire going down. I pull it off, inspect it.. Nothing. No hole, nail, screw, nothing. I go ahead and change it and back on my way I go. I take the tire to my my local guy and the valve stem started to tear on the back. Weird, but don't think much of it. TPMS does it job and saves the day!

Chapter 2:
A few days later the wife and I load up to head up to the Gatornationals towing the Jeep. Leave home, drive about 15 miles to a supermarket on the way to grab a few things. Before we leave I do a walk around check and even have the wife check the lights (forgot before we left home). Everything is great and we are on our way. We get about 8~10 miles down the road and this guy comes flying around me waving me over! I pull over on the side of the narrow road we are on, he gets out and tells me I have a flat! NO WAY... I have a Tire Minder TMPS in the RV that monitors the RV and the Jeep..... And then it hits me! The tire minder allows me to "disconnect" the jeep from being monitored while I'm not towing it. Guess who forgot to reconnect it when I hooked up the jeep! I get out and it's the left rear on the jeep.. Shredded!! I will post a picture later. I change it and again we are back on the road. My message here.. If you have a TPMS system, be sure the damn thing is on and configured properly, cause the one time you don't? It could of saved me a tire!

Chapter 3: ~~ I know right!!!
So we make it up to the Nats about two hour ride, no other issues, but I get to thinking. What are the chances of having two tires go down in four days! I mean these are 35" Toyo AT's with under 10k miles on them. So I get to looking at the tire that blew on the way up and sure enough the valve stem on this tire is separated in the back, just like the one four days ago. I check out the two front tires and holy crap these valves stems are doing the same thing. Now I'm starting to worry as we are leaving the Nats and heading directly to the keys towing the jeep. No way I would pull this thing six hour the way these things look. I make a bunch of calls and the managed to get a tire shipped up and all the values stems change to little short metal valves stems the next day. It took all day to get it done and it was raining so we didn't miss any racing and it is good to go, problem solved!

However, here is my theory on this whole ordeal. The tire minder as with many other TMPS uses screw on style senders that screw directly onto the valve stem. It is my belief that the weight of these sensors is what caused the failure of the valve stems. The spare I had mounted on the back had the valve stem installed at the same time as all the others, but was in perfect shape (my placebo). I believe the centrifugal force of the wheel in motion was enough to force these stem out ever so slightly and over time began to tear the rear of the valve stem.

So at the end of the day my advice is this.
~ Get a TPMS they will save your butt!
~ If you have a TPMS make sure it's on and configured properly before leaving!
~ If your system utilizes screw on sensors, you should SERIOUSLY consider getting metal valve stems!

Sorry for the long post, but had to tell my story and hope that someone else doesn't fall victim to similar issues.
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree that TPMS should not just an option for your MH. While they won't warn you about a blow-out. They will tell if you are losing air or overheating a tire in time to take step from it becoming a bigger problem. A tire that is shredding can do unbelievable damage to your MH.

You didn't say what brand TPMS you have but most will have different types of sensors and they are different in weights too. That may be a temporary solution.

When I last replaced tires I had metal stems put in.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:38 PM   #3

I run the Tire Minder from Minder Research Inc. TireMinder® TPMS - The #1 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) in America - Minder Research Inc.

Their sensor only weigh like 4oz., but must have been enough. Here are a couple pics.

And the culprit.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nice "rim protector" in the picture above! Wheel looks great.

TST recommends not using the sensors on rubber stems, just solid metal ones for exactly the reason you found.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

I much prefer Pressure Pro
Old 04-01-2016, 05:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I much prefer Pressure Pro
How would they be any different?

The metal valve stems have been discussed many times before, I guess the message isn't getting out.

Now does anyone know of a good source for stainless steel valve stems?
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:56 AM   #7

I have TST sensors 5 plus years, had new tires and valve stems replaced 2 years ago, last year I had 2 valve stems fail. One when it was parked in the garage, the other on the interstate in a construction area.

I picked up metal valve stems just need to get them installed.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Nice "rim protector" in the picture above! Wheel looks great.
And that's exactly what it did. Remarkably the rim or Jeep didn't sustain any damage. Luckily the guy stopped me when he did or that might not have been the case.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #9

+3 on metal valve stems. On the Equinox, we couldn't find metal valve stems but we did install reinforced rubber valve stems which are as rigid as metal stems.

On my PressurePro, when the towed vehicle is away from the truck/trailer, those sensors on the towed vehicles go quiet without having to "disconnect" them.

Would not be with a TPMS. Had a piece of road shrapnel cut the right from Equinox tire. The alarm got us to the shoulder of the road with 10 lbs still in that tire. Tire was gone but the rim was still in fine shape.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
I've had Pressure Pro since they were invented. Never had a problem with the standard rubber valve stems.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #11

I think ultimately its not so much what TPMS you run, but it really depends on the vehicle and the angle of the stem itself. My after market wheels certainly have a more outward lean on the stem then the stock wheels do. It would make sense that the longer more angled stem would be prone to failure by extra weight on the tip. A more vertical stem would not have that pull, or as much of it.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #12

Here are one's like I put in. I off road some, so the shorter the better!

http://www.gemplers.com/product/1713...160401125600:s
Old 04-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #13

Gorilla makes several types, but they are not stainless and will rust. Be aware that the real short VS402 may not have enough clearance for the sensor, it didn't on my wheels. I used the VS401, with the nut outside, but they started to rust.
Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know the brand, but mine are nickle plated brass.