Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Fact: There is a right way and a wrong way to hook up the cables

Fact: perhaps 1% of those hooking up cables do it the right way

Question: What do the other 99 do wrong?

Answer tomorrow.
The majority of people connect the negative terminal of the jumper to the negative terminal of the dead battery instead of to a ground remote from the battery. When the battery cable touches the battery terminal a spark is created, caused by a combination of a difference in voltage potential and charge between the two batteries, which has the potential of igniting hydrogen gas generated by the dead battery which was created by the prolonged current draw when continually trying to start the car.

Actually the cables should be connected to the dead battery first with the final connections made at the assisting vehicle.

Okay, what's the prize.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #30

I find it real interesting that the OP seems to be degrading of someone who supposedly did not know how to do what he needed, whether they did or not, when I have not seen any affirmation here that the OP knew how to do what he was asking of those "rednecks". If he did, he missed a chance to teach these "rednecks" something to enlighten them further. Knowledge is good only when it is used and/or passed-on.

Regardless of who knew what in this instance, as Jeff Foxworthy says, there are rednecks EVERYWHERE. The same could probably be said for "jerks".
Old 05-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey, you guys got it.. Though it is OK to hook one end of the "Ground" cable to the battery (usually the good battery) the last connection made and the first broken have to go to something away from the battery.. The reason is there is a very good chance of causing that jumped battery to gas, The Gas productd is 2 parts hydrogen to one oxygen which is the exact ratio you need to make a very loud noise when the connection is broken and a spark happens.

And when that happens.. I, for one, do not want to be there.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #32

All you have to do is hook up wrong and have a battery explode to say you don't know how to do it.With the attitude of HEY REDNECK COME HERE AND JUMPSTART MY TOAD THAT I WAS TOO DUMM TO NOT LET THE BATTERY DIE.
I guess it is an attitude problem.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Hey, you guys got it.. Though it is OK to hook one end of the "Ground" cable to the battery (usually the good battery) the last connection made and the first broken have to go to something away from the battery.. The reason is there is a very good chance of causing that jumped battery to gas, The Gas productd is 2 parts hydrogen to one oxygen which is the exact ratio you need to make a very loud noise when the connection is broken and a spark happens.

And when that happens.. I, for one, do not want to be there.
John,
The only gas I know that is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen is dihydrogen oxide or H20(water).
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
And it could all simply be how these "rednecks" where approached in the first place that made them lose their memory.
Right on.
I was born in and live in the South. I guess most people would call me a redneck. Once when I was fishing in my 16' boat a big 30' boat full of "northern" people came racing towards me and almost capsized my boat. The captain then shouted at me "hey you, where can I get some gas we are almost out" I pointed down to a canal and said about 3 miles that way. Didn't tell him the station was closed for vacation...... A redneck will help anyone who treats them nice and fair. It's when you demand their attention with little respect that they won't help. I guess everyone is like that...
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
cant even believe it ! i pull in to waldens campground toads dead i ask somr guys in there with big dodge ram trucks for a jump they tell me they dont know how to hook up ! im laughing inside now ! total rednecks ! told them to for get it ! got some kids to jump me ! we left there anyways raining out ! most unfriendliest campers ive ever met ! first time for every thing !
Well, you seem to be unaware of punctuation making your post almost unreadable.

Just being picky. Maybe I am retaining wine.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I was brought up in Philadelphia, in the 50's redneck was as derogatory a term as cracker, honkie , white trash and the "N" word for black folks. What has caused people to embrace the description?
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
ok maybe we call them the good ole boys ! just sayin i had never met a unfriendly bunch there was 3 of them ! cmon lets get real ! it was rain they were done eating ect ! i guess we could just say they didnt like me !

Obviously they were lawyers.

Hold up folks---some of my best friends are---------------
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #38

hondo122,

'cause those of us who are rednecks don't much care about the opinions of those who use "redneck" as a derogatory term...

liz
Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #39

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
According to Jeff Foxworthy...the definition of a redneck is "a glorious absense of sophistocation."
Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #40
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Isn't it a term of endearment?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #41

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
With the attitude of HEY REDNECK COME HERE AND JUMPSTART MY TOAD THAT I WAS TOO DUMM TO NOT LET THE BATTERY DIE, I guess it is an attitude problem.
Yeah, us "big Dodge Ram truck" driving rednecks are sensitive to stuff like that....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #42
doc

Appalachian Campers
"i guess we could just say they didnt like me ! "

Gosh, wonder why?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote