Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The point of the "soak and shake " test is to compare the Expensive RV Brands with the the on-sale-at-Walmart brands, not to make a definitive comment about how long it would take either to actually come apart in the black tank.

Only gas station restroom brands take more than a handful of seconds to dissolve.

The real secret to a problem free black tank is water, and plenty of it. Swoosh!

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #16

I agree with Ralper. We owned a tag along and two coaches same TP brand. Never a problem. If you leave dump valve open the water leaves the tank quickly and the solids stack up. This creates the problem. Dump when close to full and then add some water. Never leave tank dry except when winterized.

CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #17

Senior Chief is right.
We use it and we are very satisfied.
Try it for sure
Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use the Scott 1000 & the Extra soft. But only the 1000 has on the package septic safe.
Both go through a Sewer Solution small hose with no problem. Using that I only dump every 12 days.

From Scott web site.
SCOTTŪ offers you three bath tissue options that dissolve four times faster than the leading brand! Try SCOTTŪ 1000, SCOTTŪ Extra Soft or SCOTTŪ Rapid-Dissolving bath tissue.

Just for a weekend or 1 week stays the regular 3" slinky is used and almost any make of roll paper shouldn't be a problem when using plenty of water.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Toilet Paper;; My little world experiance;; I worked in 2 different sewer treatment plants. I'll tell it like it is...( So this may be scencored, and taken off that's OK..) the sewer when it Goes it to the septic tank The waste floats on top Of the liquid The waste is what needs to be pumped out as it will not go away; the liquid goes into the drain field. Which is a drain pipe buryed in gravel to help the liquid disperse;. That all works fine Tell the disposeable toilet paper that is desolved flots it to the drain field, It will block it up like concrete. When the water is removed it goes back into the paper state; Now the treatment plant. They filter ultralite Exedra;; untill the water is pure and in human consumption form. However In the treatment process that paper was allways troublesome. The biggest problem is People don't realize that by putting it down the toilet it does NOT go away; That is only the Begenning;;; Life is good;; Use whatever suits you best;;
Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #20

Yes any TP will do. We have a septic system and just use the same TP as in the house. Haven't had an issue at home or in the MH
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #21

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Toilet Paper;; My little world experiance;; I worked in 2 different sewer treatment plants. I'll tell it like it is...( So this may be scencored, and taken off that's OK..) the sewer when it Goes it to the septic tank The waste floats on top Of the liquid The waste is what needs to be pumped out as it will not go away; the liquid goes into the drain field. Which is a drain pipe buryed in gravel to help the liquid disperse;. That all works fine Tell the disposeable toilet paper that is desolved flots it to the drain field, It will block it up like concrete. When the water is removed it goes back into the paper state; Now the treatment plant. They filter ultralite Exedra;; untill the water is pure and in human consumption form. However In the treatment process that paper was allways troublesome. The biggest problem is People don't realize that by putting it down the toilet it does NOT go away; That is only the Begenning;;; Life is good;; Use whatever suits you best;;
That makes a lot of sense. My DW always uses the septic friendly stuff which I can't stand. Now I have a reason to go buy the good stuff. I put the bacteria in my septic every month and I've not had a problem with the tank BUT I have noticed my drain field seems to be getting smaller... No more cheap stuff to plug up the drain field. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #22

Of course everyone is free to adopt the standard practice in Mexico and some other countries. Do not put TP in the commode, instead use a plastic bag to collect it.
Personally we use any brand/type TP that we prefer, and never experience a black tank issue. We do begin with 5G of water in the tank after it has been emptied, and use adequate flushing water.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
30 years with regular toilet paper and never a problem. Use any paper you want.

Let's not make this too complicated. If they had their way marketeers would sell you special RV water, RV clothes, RV coffee, etc.
OMG, Your RIGHT!

Most "RV" products I find are simply over-priced, "simple" products.
Granted there are some products that aren't available anywhere but an RV dealer or outlet, like awnings or some patio lights.
But as for all the chemicals they offer for your water tanks, who needs them. A squirt of cheap dish soap works wonders. (not in your fresh water tank, of course)

When I wanted bearings for our 5th wheel, a common bearing not only used in the auto industry but on some RV axles also,... was about $120 at an RV place, $90 at an auto dealer and $36 when buying just a Timkin bearing. Go figger.

Come to think of it,... TP may be a different matter.
michigancamper
Old 05-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Use any brand you want! The hype over RV safe TP belongs right where the TP ends up! If you do the traditional "TP in a glass of water and shaken" thing...just remember...driving your RV hard enough to shake that much is not going to happen. It's unrealistic.
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #25

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
Up until about a year ago Scott tissue had on the back of the wrapper Spetic Safe and RV Safe, for some reason they took the RV Safe off the wrapper.
And yes do the test. Just about ant single ply is RV Safe.
I think this is because Scott now markets what appears to be the same paper in a wrapper that says RV Safe and which costs twice the price. I discovered this because someone at Walmart had left a package of the RV stuff on the shelf near the regular paper. I think they brought it over to see if it was the same; it does seem to be.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #26

Sam's brand.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_N_Terry View Post
Use any brand you want! The hype over RV safe TP belongs right where the TP ends up! If you do the traditional "TP in a glass of water and shaken" thing...just remember...driving your RV hard enough to shake that much is not going to happen. It's unrealistic.
Not a problem if you drive I-10 through Lousianna or anywhere in California. You can use corncobs, those roads will dessolve them.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always felt that they supplied waxed paper in public toilets in Germany and some other European countries- . We learned to carry our own when traveling.