Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #15

How about taking some of the Billions of dollars we give away in foreign aid every year, and use it to aid our hwy system, so tolls aren't needed at all?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #16

18.5 cents a gallon ain't enough to maintain what we have? The OVER $25 billion collected each year by the feds alone ain't enough for the FEDERAL highways?
(Not to mention the nearly 30 cents a gallon collected by state & local on average?)
Perhaps the funds should be used for MAINTENANCE instead of bridges to nowhere. Perhaps we should be bidding out contracts that don't force responders to pay $40 bucks an hour to 5 guys watching one guy work?
Then instead of raising the TAX if they need more...they determine that it is better to stop me and tie up traffic for nickles and dimes and quarters and dollars...wasting time, increasing pollution and reminding me every day of the idiocy of the federal bureaucrats.
[/rant]

Old 05-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #17

Seem politicians can't seem to find ways to cut spending, only raise taxes for shortfalls. Here in the Atlanta area they have a toll on the far left lane, "Express Lane", on I-85 north from the beltway (285) to the burbs and the price changes depending on how many vehicles are using it at any given time. More cars, higher toll deducted from the "Peach Pass" you purchase in advance. The total length of the "Express Lane " is 15.5 miles and open the entire length to traffic. Tolls vary from .10 to .90 cents per mile and at some times, like accidents the toll fee is suspended and everyone, 6 wheels and less can use it. They plan to do the same thing on I-75 north of I-285 also.
I worked for a French company for about 4 years and when I was over there the VP took us out to the manufacturing plant in Normandy from Paris and it was mostly toll road and it was not cheap! Mexico has a number of toll roads which my son said are beautiful but not many people use them, so as a result they have to raise the toll fee and in turn reduces the users even further.
Last month I went to the northwest side of Houston from the west side of Atlanta, about 1650 miles round trip and of that I was on interstate less than 10 miles total. Around 50% of that was on 4 lane road also. Lots of toll roads around Houston but I didn't venture into the city itself.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
Maybe they need to find a way to get revenue from the electric vehicles that aren't paying a fuel tax to maintain highways.
I wish all our fuel taxes did go to build/maintain roads and bridges. Here in Oklahoma the school teachers have raised so much hell about wanting more money for education (yeh, but the first thing is teachers wanting higher salaries) that the State is taking millions of dollars from the highway fund and transferring it to the Education fund. The Department of Transportation has already stated this will delay the much needed repairs of most of our delapadated roads and bridges.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:58 AM   #19

It's time to war on tax. We have taxed everything and its not spent wisely at all. We got to get rid of some taxes, and no new taxes to be added without a hearing, license and expiration date not to exceed 5 years. It's our money they are collecting, why do we insist they collect so much? I try to stay off freeways where I can. I hate the rush and rudeness of traffic.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #20

At the risk of needing the asbestos suit, I'm going to take a different tact. Of all the forms of taxation, the toll road is the most fair. If you don't want to pay the tax, you don't use the road. It's a user fee and of all the forms of taxation the most fair.

The argument that we pay gas taxes is correct, however, do we stop and fill up in every state we travel through? I take I-90 through the small stretch of Northwestern PA and never stop until I reach the Flying J in Ohio where I can save $.10 a gallon. So I've used the road in PA but paid nothing for that privilege, but I still expect PA to maintain that stretch of road.

Quite a while ago I posted a question on this forum asking if people would be willing to take a cut in their Social Security to help the system survive. There were over 500 posts on that thread and a grand total of four people said they would be willing to take a cut so the system could survive. We all want lower taxes but we don't want to lose any of our benefits. We all want better roads, but we don't want it to come out of our pocket directly. That's really kind of sad.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
At the risk of needing the asbestos suit, I'm going to take a different tact. Of all the forms of taxation, the toll road is the most fair. If you don't want to pay the tax, you don't use the road. It's a user fee and of all the forms of taxation the most fair.

The argument that we pay gas taxes is correct, however, do we stop and fill up in every state we travel through? I take I-90 through the small stretch of Northwestern PA and never stop until I reach the Flying J in Ohio where I can save $.10 a gallon. So I've used the road in PA but paid nothing for that privilege, but I still expect PA to maintain that stretch of road.

Quite a while ago I posted a question on this forum asking if people would be willing to take a cut in their Social Security to help the system survive. There were over 500 posts on that thread and a grand total of four people said they would be willing to take a cut so the system could survive. We all want lower taxes but we don't want to lose any of our benefits. We all want better roads, but we don't want it to come out of our pocket directly. That's really kind of sad.
Well said!!!!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #22

Quote:

You always hear about social security going broke. But you never hear about welfare going broke. How bout drastically cutting welfare and giving the people on SS a raise. These are and were the tax paying group to start with. But we the people put these clowns in office, so we get what we got. All they know is tax and spend. Lets cut their wages, before cutting any SS benafits. We have fourth generation welfare families now, and it keeps getting worse.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #23

Quote:

I'm sure that everyone realizes that a user tax can be the most fair of all taxes. However, the Federal gas tax is sent to Washington where there is a massive Department of Transportation bureaucracy which eats up part of the tax collected right off of the top. Then more money is siphoned off to pay for other programs. Now the remainder of our money is then "given" back to the states where it was collected in the first place.

To add insult to injury, some states receive a higher amount of road use tax funds in proportion to what they put into the fund and other states receive less in proportion to what they put in.

For example, for fiscal 2012, Iowa's contribution to the Federal Highway Trust Fund was $565 million. Iowa then received back from the Feds $460 million. Other states were "given" even less, in proportion, to what they put in. About the DOT - Iowa Department of Transportation

To be a true user tax, the Federal gas tax should stay in the state in which it was collected and not go to Washington at all.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #24

I understand your point, but the gas taxes are used to maintain all highways, not just the interstates. The tolls are proposed on only the interstates.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't like paying tolls anymore than anyone else does, but the interstate highway system is generally safer than driving on two lane highways.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #25

We won't have to worry about SS going broke, the current Administration has taken care of that. The new Health Care Act is allowing something like $700 billion to be taken out of SS over the next decade to pay for all those without health insurance. I hope I haven't hi-jacked this thread nor stepped over into politics but this does affect our taxes and health care.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Seriously? Like we already aren't over taxed! We pay more than enough tax to maintain services, but politicians don't know how to properly spend what is taken in. Electric vehicles create less noise and air pollution, so I say give them a break.
Less pollution? How do you figure that? That electricity was probably made by burning coal. Electric vehicles weigh as much or more than gasoline vehicles and put as much wear on the roadways. They need to pay their share.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
If these ya-who's in Washington had put all the gas tax money into fixing the roads and bridges when we paid it, the roads would be paved in "gold". But they put it in the general funds so they can use it where it's needed. ( Think projects having nothing to do with road's, but a lot to do with reelection.) Yea, they will bleed us more and more till we can't afford to stat the engine.........Just my dimes worth....rant now over....
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks, this thread is about Tolls On Interstates. Lets stay on topic please.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote