Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Tom Clancy

A great author passed away this morning. Loved reading his books.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
He was 66.....great writer!!!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Talented writer-very good story teller.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I loved his early work like Red Storm Rising, Hunt for Red October etc. I did think his later works were less compelling. I think I read that he had no military service himself, but wrote his books from meticulous research. In any event a great loss to the literary world, and at such a young age.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #5

Did not know Tom died. Read most of his books. A very talented writer. Sorry to see him gone.

RIP Tom.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #6

Excellent story teller. Kept me enthralled for years.
drillking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm on page 549 of "Red Storm Rising" as I write this. First of his books I've ever read. Guess I'll have to look for some others now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I loved his early work like Red Storm Rising, Hunt for Red October etc. I did think his later works were less compelling. I think I read that he had no military service himself, but wrote his books from meticulous research. In any event a great loss to the literary world, and at such a young age.
Love his books.

He was once called before Congress to explain where he got the "classified" information that appeared in his books. His answer was that he obtained recently declassified documents via the FOIA and what wasn't there in black and white he deduced by reading between the lines.

There was a computer game from Microprose called Red Storm Rising which was based on the book. Tom Clancy had quite a bit of input into the game's content. It also didn't hurt that the game was designed by Sid Meier. The game was essentially a submarine simulation and a featured a number Soviet and American submarine classes from different eras. The most recent American sub class featured in the sim was the Seawolf class. What is interesting about this is that the simulation was released in 1988. The contract for the Seawolf wasn't even awarded to Electric Boat until January of 1989 and her keel wasn't even laid until October 1989. Someone I know who worked on the interior design of the Seawolf read the manual to the game and just shook his head in disbelief about the similarities in the game and the actual design of the sub. He closed the manual, kind of shook it at me and declared, "This is so close, it's scary."

Rest in Peace Tom Clancy. You will be missed.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Loved his stories. He was a great story teller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
He was once called before Congress to explain where he got the "classified" information that appeared in his books. His answer was that he obtained recently declassified documents via the FOIA and what wasn't there in black and white he deduced by reading between the lines.
There was a computer game from Microprose called Red Storm Rising which was based on the book. Tom Clancy had quite a bit of input into the game's content. It also didn't hurt that the game was designed by Sid Meier. The game was essentially a submarine simulation and a featured a number Soviet and American submarine classes from different eras. The most recent American sub class featured in the sim was the Seawolf class. What is interesting about this is that the simulation was released in 1988. The contract for the Seawolf wasn't even awarded to Electric Boat until January of 1989 and her keel wasn't even laid until October 1989. Someone I know who worked on the interior design of the Seawolf read the manual to the game and just shook his head in disbelief about the similarities in the game and the actual design of the sub. He closed the manual, kind of shook it at me and declared, "This is so close, it's scary."
On a side note about this, companies would pay for sci-fi writers to come in and discuss what things they saw in the future in their "stories". It was mostly toy companies that did this but that was how some of the biggest toys got "invented". So does it surprise me that another writer could come up this before it came out? Nope. Try reading "1984" if you really want to be flabbergasted and try to remember when it was written.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #10

Executive Order, my favorite book of all time. Well, tied for first with Lonesome Dove.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #11

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I did enjoy a few of his books ...good writer, sad loss
Rushmore2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Had already pre-ordered his latest audio book since we've listened to all of his...

But the real takeaway is that age - 66 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do what is important now for tomorrow is not promised.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
He has one more book which he finished coming out in December.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #14

"The Hunt For Red October" I can watch over and over again.... And his books also get a re-read from time to time...

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote