Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #1

Tools and storage

How do you all store or arrange your tools and storage in these travel trailers? Mine are currently taking up all the space in the back seat of my truck, shoved in drawers, on a bunk and so on. I'm thinking of buying or constructing a shed and hope the lock is enough to keep them safe. But then what do I do with it when I'm off to another campground or job?
I also spend most of the year in the trailer chasing jobs to earn a living. And since I like to do things myself I have accumulated 4 tool boxes, 2 duffle bags, 6 or 8 drill, driver, bit sets, battery tools and the list goes on. I'm thinking I might want a floor jack or ramps to service my truck. These tool boxes are heavy too. I guess what I'm getting at is I don't have a real good way of storing or organizing these tools, saws, screws, and gadgets. What do you guys do? Im so disorganized!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello and welcome to IRV2, This is what I bought Craftsman Mechanics Tool Set: Tune-Up, Repair and Rebuild with Sears and it has it all that I need to travel with, a couple of extra things added to the tool set though.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaredoDave View Post
How do you all store or arrange your tools and storage in these travel trailers? Mine are currently taking up all the space in the back seat of my truck, shoved in drawers, on a bunk and so on. I'm thinking of buying or constructing a shed and hope the lock is enough to keep them safe. But then what do I do with it when I'm off to another campground or job?
I also spend most of the year in the trailer chasing jobs to earn a living. And since I like to do things myself I have accumulated 4 tool boxes, 2 duffle bags, 6 or 8 drill, driver, bit sets, battery tools and the list goes on. I'm thinking I might want a floor jack or ramps to service my truck. These tool boxes are heavy too. I guess what I'm getting at is I don't have a real good way of storing or organizing these tools, saws, screws, and gadgets. What do you guys do? Im so disorganized!

Dave, did you ever consider trading in the truck for a step van to pull the trailer with?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe a truck utility bed with storage compartments. Keeps the tools arranged and handy and with you on a job.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #5

I've presented the van idea to the wife but the look I got wasn't positive. Thanks for the input tho. I'm leaning towards the truck bed box but I was more wanting a way to get to the tools without hopping in the back of the truck or having to take them with me to the stores or malls due to thievery. I just bought a 3 ton floor jack and a small welder and I'm not sure that would fit in a truck box. With my ever expanding tool collection I'm now starting to think that a sturdy shed type storage thing that would easily break down and stow in the pickup bed when moving.... Thanks for the ideas. I definitely need different tool boxes too to sort all the different tools I have - keep the ideas coming, I appreciate them-
Dave-
Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #6

Hi Dave, have you thought about a locking hard tuneau (?) cover for the truck and a slider in the bed? Just a thought as that would shield your good stuff from prying eyes. Another idea would be to remove the back seat of your truck and hard mount some smaller tool boxes back there in place of the seat with maybe have enough room for your welder. I would then suggest a rolling dolly system to move your stuff around as you're working. Just some ideas. I know I would be lost without my Craftsman boxes. Let us know how this turns out for you.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
I am like many men a 'Tool Horder' and tend to have way too much for such a small trailer (large teardrop). The tool kit resides in a large tongue box with a whole lot of other stuff so is limited. What you need to do is be specific which tools need to go to fix trailer and tow vehicle sorts of problems and I include fuzes, wire, connectors, VOM, screw driver that takes different bits and nut drivers which fit the screwdriver (eliminate nut drivers) and a socket set with sockets that fit fasteners on the trailer and not much else. I also carry a torque wrench and lug nut sockets.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #8

Problem with portable storage is just that portable.

You could get a Contractor job box, very secure, and "Sony portable" ...the old days...put a handle on top of the 26 inch TV and it is "portable"

It can be chained to your trailer in camp, then with a lot of work be placed in truck for transport

Low profile should be available for 5er
Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Comparing A Royal Low Profile and Standard Height Service Body - YouTube
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #10

Wow- what a nice set up - I love the low profile idea as I am short in stature. I'm might look into this as an option. Probably an expensive option but definitely in line with a tool hoard like myself. Nice.