Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tools, high end this time

So, I have been slowly up grading some of my tools. I have moved to Craftsman professional screwdrivers and wrenches. The wrenches are the made in the USA, not the new china ones. I am very happy with them. The wrenches blow the standard Craftsman wrenches out of the water, and the screwdrivers are every bit as nice as I remember the hard handle Snap On screwdrivers being.

Next on my list would be Ratchets. I have been looking on line at Snap On, Mac and Matco. The question is, how does a home user get tools from the "tool truck" company to warranty them? I tried to get parts for a Mac air ratchet I have by calling up the local Mac tool dealer. He was supposed to stop by my work when he was in the Area, never happened. ended up ordering the bearing I needed from Fastenall.

Any home users of higher end tools have any input?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't bother with high end tools anymore because of insurance reasons. I had some Craftsman tools stolen around 25 years ago and the insurance company insisted on depreciating them, never mind they had a lifetime warranty on them. It would be different if I needed them every day on the job but for occasional use, midrange tools do just fine. I'll even buy a cheap tool for a one off job as long as it is capable of lasting long enought to finish the job. Or I'll rent.

Now, screwdrivers are an exception. A properly used, high quality screwdriver will last almost forever and won't be anywhere near as likely to strip a screw head. Same for drill bits and saw blades. It's just not worth it to buy cheap ones.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
If you want to fork out, go Snap-On straight from the truck . If you want any warranty service, you go back to the truck on your time.

I haven't got any Snap-On or other name branders myself, mostly Pittsburghs from harbor freight, which are warranty replaced at the store, if I ever manage to break one. Haven't yet.

And they've been plenty abused doing engine work and other things on my various autos.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
I haven't got any Snap-On or other name branders myself, mostly Pittsburghs from harbor freight, which are warranty replaced at the store, if I ever manage to break one. Haven't yet.

And they've been plenty abused doing engine work and other things on my various autos.
Same here. If I was a mechanic or some type professional that used the tools all the time it would be one thing, but as a part time user, I can't see spending the extra money for professional tools. I use HF all the time...it's hard to beat a tool that is on sale for 50% off, have a 20% off coupon from a magazine, get a free flashlight and included is a lifetime warranty on the tool.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have two hobbies, shooting and motorcycles. I spend a lot of time wrenching in the shop, so I will see the value of the tools. When I got the professional wrench I couldn't believe the difference. The professional screwdrivers fit better and have a better handle than the standard stuff. If all you do is minor maintenance and oil changes, the money might be well spent on high end tools. I do at least one total disassemble/reassemble a year, and build a few motors a year on average.

The main reason I'm looking for ratchets is the raised panel Craftsman has really gone down hill in quality. I hate every time I have one give up, the replacement is all ways worse than the last. Sucks for people like me, I would be willing to pay more for better tools, but you never know if Sears will keep them in the line up, and they have started to move production to china.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #6

I have a couple of friends that work in shops that the trucks stop at, so I send my ratchet repairs and other warranty stuff back that way. If you know a mechanic working in the trade, I'd go that way. Otherwise you might try just stopping and asking at a garage or dealership when the toolman of your brand stops by their shop and then try to be there at that time. Easier if you're retired obviously but maybe doable if not.

The difference between cheap tools and good tools for those you use often, or in critical areas is worth the cost. Just one rounded bolt by a cheap wrench goes a long way towards paying the extra cost.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #7

With Mac warranty you can ship it to them. I do not know about Matco, Snap On or Cornwell.

Owning a lot of old Craftsman for home use.....it stinks breaking 1 piece and having to have it replaced with the new Craftsman alternatives that are sold now
Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I broke a Craftsman screwdriver actually screwing a screw. I went to Sears for a replacement and I was told they would not replace it because they thought I was using it as a pry bar. So much for Craftsman.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I broke a Craftsman screwdriver actually screwing a screw. I went to Sears for a replacement and I was told they would not replace it because they thought I was using it as a pry bar. So much for Craftsman.
Did you ask them if they were such talented forensic investigators...why are they working in a retail store?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #10

When I owned a repair shop I had a few customers who owned Snap on and MAC tools. When they needed warranty, they just left them with me and I would present them when the truck came around.

BTW, I bought 3 used Snap On ratchets over the years from my dealer at a good discount. They were not pretty, but all have the lifetime warranty on the guts.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I almost had that happen when I tried to open a can of oil (yeah, I know, that gives my age away) with a new Shrade pocket knife. When I pressed down on the soft aluminum top of the can, the tip curled over, then broke. Obviously, the blade hadn't been properly hardened; if it was going to break, it should have snapped instead of bending. I had been opening cans that way for years and never had a problem.

I took it back to the retailer and they tried to tell me I had been prying with it. After some meaningful dialogue, they agreed to talk to the Shrade rep. When I went back to check on it, the retailer told me the Shrade rep authorized replacing the knife as a goodwill gesture but to warn me not to pry with it again. I told the retailer to tell the rep that his accusing me of prying with it, essentially calling me a liar, just cost Shrade a customer. I have not owned a Shrade since.

My Daddy gave me a nice, softsided Kershaw shortly after that. I used it for ten years, even though the soft sides fell off the last year (it was otherwise in good shape). Daddy gave me another Kershaw, this time hard sided. I've had it 15 years and it still looks brand new.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #12

I'm a retired Snap-on Tool Dealer. Most mobile tool salesmen (Snap-on Mac or Matco) find it difficult to spare the time for an occasional customer's warranty. Leaving the tool for warranty with a local shop is a great idea. Professional grade tools are expensive, quality costs$$$. Snap-on also has another line called Blue Point, most of which are made by our friends in China. They are of good quality at a much lower price.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Did you ask them if they were such talented forensic investigators...why are they working in a retail store?
Good one, Todd. (It's like those snooty sales clerks in Neiman Marcus...I want to say, "hey...get over yourself.")

We mostly buy Craftsman tools, though I'm disappointed to hear that they are being made in China now. :(

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Good one, Todd. (It's like those snooty sales clerks in Neiman Marcus...I want to say, "hey...get over yourself.")

We mostly buy Craftsman tools, though I'm disappointed to hear that they are being made in China now. :(
Craftsman tools like screwdrivers and wrenches are still made in the US. Their power tools are made overseas.

See post #4 in this thread Craftsman tools at Costco it will give you the product codes to determine where any Craftsman tool is made.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote