Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Toot ..... Toot....

TOOT TOOT......

In our travels me and Willa notice a lot of small boats in canpgrounds we visit. There are Porta botes, Zodiac, Sea Eagles, canoes, kyacks, and a mired of inflatables and row boats of about every shape and size and they all have one thing in common. THEY ARE SMALL AND RELATEVILY HARD TO SEE. (I include my boat in this list as well)

With this in mind I shall relate what happened to us yesterday in Sabastion Inlet here in Florida.

Me and Willa was happily trolling for Blue fish in the inlet. We use a system whereby Willa is looking aft and I am looking forward and we communicate as to location and speed of all craft approaching us from either direction. We were chugging along at about four knots and Willa informed me that there was a large boat approaching from our stern at about ten knots. He was ''mushing along'' with his bow high and his stern leaving a three foot wave behind. One person in the boat and he was ''fiddleing with something'' in the boat. (probably a cell phone). We held our course and figured he would pass us on the left as prescribed by rules of the road. Willa watched him as he approached and warned me that he was speeding up and she didnt believe he had saw us. Before he got dangerously close I gunned the 6 HP motor and turned port and got out of his way with a little room to spare. He never varied his course and passed ''port side to'' about ten yards from us. Had I not changed our course, HE WOULD HAVE RAN RIGHT OVER US AND NEVER SEEN US. As he got along side he looked up and seen our small boat and he immediately shut down his power and made a hard right, away from us. He looked at me kinda sheepishly and waved. I just smiled and waved figuring he was probably a EX Marine or something and immediately forgave him for his error.

''That could have been ugly''

''yep, real ugly had we not seen him''...

MORAL TO THE STORY ..........

CARRY ONE OF THOSE CO2 BOAT HORNS if you have a small craft that you use in waters with larger boats. You are small and hard to see and people tend to not notice you because of your size and the height you have from the water.

I will go to Wallyworld today and get one to go in the boat and keep it handy. Also, use my system of one watching backwards and one watching forward for approaching large boats that probably will not notice you. Always be prepared to take evasive action immediately if necessary and do not call someone a bad name if they come close to you because they may come back and ''run you over'' for the fun of it.

Be safe on the water cause I can not afford to lose a reader........

Lets all call someone important and ask that our troops come home today......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I would have had DW just to holler at him like she does at me sometimes. Piercing pitch that no horn could reach.

Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #3

I sailed out of Bridgeport Ct One day we went out but it was too foggy to go far so we turned into a small cove. I gave ny brotherinlaw's wife a small bell to ring to cover signalling in fog.Seeing a large powerboat coming strait at us I got out the air horn to get his attention.He looked at me and asked what I was doing in the channel.Just then the fog lifted enough for him to see the shore a short distance in front of him.If I hadn't stopped him he would have run aground.He slowly turned and headed back to the channel and back to New York.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #4

A flare across the bow works too.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #5

You should have let them marines on your big boat "back in the day" learn to drive then you wouldn't have to dodge them in your old age. hehehe
Simper Fi
Old 02-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Toyboattoyboattoyboat!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #7

One should always keep a watchful eye out for others while in Sebastian Inlet. It is one, if not the most dangerous inlet Florida has. There has been a lot of improvement to the inlet since the bridge was built, but at times vessel traffic can be heavy and the inlet can get very rough. Peak tides can be quite swift and when the tide is in the opposite direction of the wind, it can make things down right treacherous. In the past, there has been a few 35 footers swallowed in that inlet.

The air horns could help, but I sure wouldn't depend on 'em. Lots of fishermen are doing 'other' things to prepare for fishing and are otherwise distracted from watching out for others...then there's all the noise from those powerful diesels. Not exactly a safe environment... careful out there. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Big truth in that statement Bob. It is a very busy inlet from about four pm till just before dark and you are dead right about the traffic and the ''rip current'' deserves a lot of respect when you are in a 12 foot ''fold up boat'' with a 6 hp on the back . Me and Willa have a system that works well... She faces aft and I face forward and we use the ''compass rose'' for boat locations relevant to us. We find that if we stay ''outside'' the bouys that we are relatively safe, some of the time, maybe...... When the Blue Fish are running you can catch them by the ton in that inlet.

There was a big ''Kill'' today from the RED TIDE thingie. tons of Silver Fish about 6 inches long on the beach. Guys were scooping them up in five gallon buckets. Gonna be a real ''stink'' in a couple of days.

You guys be safe and we will try to do the same ...

God bless our troops and our Veterans
Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a lot of folks out on the water without a clue about the rules of right away. everyone operating a boat from a dinghy up to a 30'er and larger should have to take the Coast Guard Seamanship course and pass a test before that are let on the water.

We had a power boated come close to running us down in a channel (dealers paper tag) and he did not have a clue.

Ken
Old 02-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sure SeaJay will remember this story (may have been there).

"This is based on an actual radio conversation between a U.S. Navy
aircraft carrier (U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln) and Canadian authorities
off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. (The radio
conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on
10/10/95 authorized by the Freedom of Information Act.)

Canadians: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South to
avoid collision.

Americans: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the
North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15
degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again,
divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.
Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND
LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE
ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS
SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES
NORTH--I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH--OR
COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call."

Now, snoops says this is probably not true, but given my experience with sailors - I think it probably did happen.

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have one of those inflatables, a man kayak. On larger, speedboat lakes I'll stick closer to the shore areas away from motorboats. I like it because it folds up into a duffel bag and inflates in 5 minutes. This will be the 4th season I have owned it. This summer 4 of the 5 week long vacations will be either river or lakeside sites.

The first year I owned it we were camping at East Harbor State Park off Lake Erie. That summer, the gas prices spiked and you should have seen all the people fishing off their boats in the marina, not wanting to pump $4+ fuel.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
I would have had DW just to holler at him like she does at me sometimes. Piercing pitch that no horn could reach.
Why would Willa be yelling at you?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been ''messing with '' boats since about age 12. I have great respect for boats and the situations you can get into with them and it is amazing how fast you can go from a happy fishing trip without a care in the world to a life or death situation where major decisions must be made in seconds with your life in the balance. BEEN THERE ...... DONE THAT...... NOT FUN. Three things must watch when you go ''boating''......
The weather. It can sneak up on you and smack you on the butt before you can spit and it always comes from where you aint looking. ....
The current.... In new waters rip tides can throw you a curve from left field and leave you wondering how the heck you got into this situation and how the heck you are going to get out of this situation......

Other boaters.... yep. Some seem to think that ''THEY'' have the right of way because of their ''size'' whether it be large or small. No one seems to remember that boats DONT HAVE BRAKES.... and they dont stop on a dime. One more thing.......BOATS STEER FROM REAR, NOT THE FRONT LIKE A CAR. WHEN YOU TURN A BOAT, THE STERN (BACK) TURNS.......
In all my years of boating I have had three really close calls. All were close calls without incident save wet pants and rapid heart beat.
One more thing...... Everyone knows that Sailors enjoy a cool one on a hot day but I beg each and every boat driver PLEASE, DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE A BOAT. You can kill another person just as dead in a boat as you can in a car.

Anyhow,,,,,,, Be safe on the water and dont hit nothin but the shallow bottom if you must hit something .....

Lets all send a special thanks to our troops and our veterans for their service to this nation........
Old 02-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This is a false story - Clue "A"
Quote:
"This is based on an actual radio conversation between a U.S. Navy
aircraft carrier (U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln) and Canadian authorities
off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995.

False Story Clue "B"[quote] Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call."

Regardless of this
Quote:
"Now, snoops says this is probably not true, but given my experience with sailors - I think it probably did happen."
If you knew proper Canadian Newfie Language the last part would actually read
Quote:
Canadians: Lor tunderin Jayzuse this here be a lighthouse der bye!
A few of you will get this and have a chuckle.

« G force | Rentals »