Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
tornado, let's help the red cross

If we can afford a motorhome we should be able to send a few dollars to the Red Cross to help all the people who need it now.
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
True. Have you noticed all the hype about Japan and Haiti got and how little media coverage there is about disasters here at home? There is something wrong with that picture!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
More of the donated money goes to the Salvation Army assisted than the Red Cross. My bucks will go there.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #4

Why would anyone donate to the Red Cross look what they have NOT DONE FOR HAITI, WHERE DID ALL THE MONEY GO?
85Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I grew up rural Joplin area and currently live in St. Louis area. The St. Louis people are recovering from their own problems but are sending truck loads of supplies to Joplin. There are so many people without anything that just about anything is needed to care for them. I had an extended family member working on the 6th floor of St. Johns when the storm hit. She is okay as is all of my many family members in the area but many people were not that lucky. If you can not help, please include them in your prayers.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
More of the donated money goes to the Salvation Army assisted than the Red Cross. My bucks will go there.
I donate my time and my money, but neither go to the Red Cross.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #7

After going through 2 hurricanes ( Rita and Ike) and coming home to total destruction and seeing 1st hand how the Red Cross and Salvation Army is there for the needs of so many people. Just the things we take for granted are all gone. When your water and electricity is out for weeks. Just something as simple as a clean shirt and brushing your teeth, drinking ice cold water will keep you spirits up.
I never In my wildest dreams would think i would be in a position that the Red Cross and volunteers would come to our needs. These are truly amazing people. So yes, I will always donate to both without question because they where there for us and for that I will always be thankful.
Buffordt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #8

Also don't forget the pets lost, confused and hurt in this disaster. The humane society of Joplin is also taking donations. They have moved most of their animals to Springfield,MO to be able to accommodate all the displaced pets. They also created a Facebook page where people can go to see if their pet was found and taken to the humane society.

God bless all the living creatures affected by the disaster! Giving my fur-baby an extra hug tonight.
JandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well when you look at the balance sheet a motor home is less expensive than a stick house so I don't know.

I do know this: The red cross says they are the first to arrive when disaster strikes... Who do you think talks them in? (Answer, Ham Radio Opertors.. of course they do not "Arrive" after the disaster. they are where it's going to happen already, even though none of us know when or where it will happen)

Second: They will provide you with food, shelter..... and a bill for services rendered.

The salvation Army also provides food and shelter to those in need.. Note what I left off.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well when you look at the balance sheet a motor home is less expensive than a stick house so I don't know.

I do know this: The red cross says they are the first to arrive when disaster strikes... Who do you think talks them in? (Answer, Ham Radio Opertors.. of course they do not "Arrive" after the disaster. they are where it's going to happen already, even though none of us know when or where it will happen)

Second: They will provide you with food, shelter..... and a bill for services rendered.

The salvation Army also provides food and shelter to those in need.. Note what I left off.
I was not happy seeing all of the expensive whiz-bang technology that the Red Cross bought for communications that no Red Cross staffer could operate, so they tried to draft the local ham community. When we hams were told we would be doing "other duties" in addition to providing communication support, most of us passed. I was not too happy about the carte-blanche background check required, either.

I for one support the Salvation Army and I am a member of SATERN - Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network. Seeing what the Salvation Army does versus what the Red Cross does with donations, my time and money go to the Salvation Army every time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RRay.. Another issue is that the Red Cross wanted to do full background checks on all volunteers.. Now the ARRL and the Red Cross did reach an agreement on that but still. Yet another reason to look elsewhere to donate your time and talent.

I see a lot of very smart people in this thread (That is a lot of people who, as you did, say "I donate to the Salvation Army"

SATERN is good people.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Eagle View Post
Why would anyone donate to the Red Cross look what they have NOT DONE FOR HAITI, WHERE DID ALL THE MONEY GO?
Good question. In 2004 hurricane Charley hit us with 172 mph winds. Knocked my house to the ground. It took me 3 days to get to the main road. The red cross had a tent set up giving away "cups" of water. Not gallons, not ice, not food, not cloths, not medical help just cups of water.

Their "volunteers" were busy giving all the above away.... on Riverside Dr. where the million dollar homes were.... and collecting checks..... I would not give the red cross the time of day.

The only real help we got was from independent businesses who sent in all the above in trucks out of the goodness of their hearts. I wish now I had made up a list of those companies.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #13

I donate to the Salvation Army, and specifically to their Joplin effort as of late. I think they are the best at what they do. Having said that, donating to the Red Cross is certainly better than doing nothing at all.

Let me just say, I am glad I can even mention the Salvation Army here. You can not do it on RV.NET, as it is considered a "religious" post, and will either be edited or deleted.
DOTLDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Here in Alabama I have seen first hand what the Red Cross does. I give to the Salvation Army and the Humane Shelter when these horrible things happen. The Red Cross is not the same organization I worked with 40 years ago. Such a shame.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote