Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Traeger Grill / Smokers

Curious if anyone is using the Traeger PTG grill, and their opinions about how it cooks and performs. I suppose the other Traegers would perform similarly. The PTG is their smallest version and pretty portable, with a cooking area a tad smaller in size than the Weber Q100 or Q120.

Have a pretty good collection of grills and smokers so far. Thinking about adding another to the arsenal.

For the RV, Coleman Roadtrip.............eh....it's good...Go to grill for higher volume when we're tailgating.
Also for the RV, Weber Q120.................LOVE it. Perfect size for smaller meals.
Home, Big ole Char Broil Red, 4 burner that's no longer being made...................love it and it's a beast.
Bradley Electric Smoker..................love it because it goes low enough to cold smoke anything, including cheese, but has a hard time getting much over 220 inside.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
For home use I have a MAK 2 Star wood pellet smoker-grill but I wanted a pellet smoker-grill for the RV. I am using a Traeger PTG which I modified with a PID controller. I mastered the PTG before we left for the road and love it. You can check out many of my PTG cooks/recipes at my smokin' Blog Here's a couple examples ... 1st photo shows the size of the PTG compared to the MAK 2 Star. It's perfect for 2 people and/or on the road.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thanks so very much!! Awesome pictures. So how's the PTG do for getting a sear on steaks.

Is the clip and temperature probe mounted to the grate part of the new PID controller. I've heard it's gotta be pretty short to mount in the stock location. Or did you mount it there because it makes the grill work better somehow.

Nevermind last question. I see the probe is attached to the external thermometer.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

I have the Traeger jr, great unit and does everything I need it to do. I modified mine by adding a second level rack which allows 4 full racks of pork ribs. It's small enough to throw in the back of the truck and take with us. If you have any questions be happy to answer.
RvSipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvSipe View Post
I have the Traeger jr, great unit and does everything I need it to do. I modified mine by adding a second level rack which allows 4 full racks of pork ribs. It's small enough to throw in the back of the truck and take with us. If you have any questions be happy to answer.
A Traeger Jr is a nice size for the road and at home for 2 people RvSipe. Unfortunately my Vista 26P does not have the storage space for one That's why I opted for the PTG. It's only 43 lbs and it fits one of my compartments.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
Thanks so very much!! Awesome pictures. So how's the PTG do for getting a sear on steaks.

Is the clip and temperature probe mounted to the grate part of the new PID controller. I've heard it's gotta be pretty short to mount in the stock location. Or did you mount it there because it makes the grill work better somehow.

Nevermind last question. I see the probe is attached to the external thermometer.
The PTG can reach temperatures of 500ºF and a few friends on cooking/smoking forums sear steaks with their PTG. I tend to do more Low-and-Slow and roasting at 350º - 400ºF range. I modified the PTG with a PID controller cause I prefer tight controls when cooking.

The PID uses a thermocouple which I mounted in the RTD stock location.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
papa peter, does that use the same wood pellets that I use in the stove I have in my basement for heating the house?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
papa peter, does that use the same wood pellets that I use in the stove I have in my basement for heating the house?
No. They probably look the same, but the heating ones are not designed for cooking and might have additives or impurities in them. Traeger says (in multiple places) to only use their pure hardwood pellets. Which are available in many different woods. I currently have Hickory, Mesquite, and Apple in stock.

Oh yeah, I just got my Junior last week. I've used it for or five times now, and am really happy with it. Did some great baby backs on it, as well as roasted chicken and some burgers. Doing tri-tip tonight.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
No. They probably look the same, but the heating ones are not designed for cooking and might have additives or impurities in them. Traeger says (in multiple places) to only use their pure hardwood pellets. Which are available in many different woods. I currently have Hickory, Mesquite, and Apple in stock.

Oh yeah, I just got my Junior last week. I've used it for or five times now, and am really happy with it. Did some great baby backs on it, as well as roasted chicken and some burgers. Doing tri-tip tonight.
You are correct FlyingDiver. I agree with you 100%!! I would NEVER use heating pellets in a Wood Pellet BBQ Smoker-Grill. Only food grade. Depending on where you live you can find BBQ pellets at around $10 for a 20 lb bag. Most pellet grills will use around 1 lb per hour.

Food off a pellet smoker-grill is fantastic Let me know when dinner is ready ... smoking a meatloaf tonight ... Check out my smoking/cooking blog for pellet grill recipes on the Traeger PTG and MAK 2 Star
Old 07-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tri tip tasted great, but was a bit overdone. The Traeger cookbook said 45-50 minutes, and when I checked at 35 they were already a bit overtemp. :( Flavor was great, however, and I just need to check them sooner and/or turn the temp down a bit.

Going to see if I can find a nice brisket this week. Easy to do when we're in Texas for the winter. Not so much here in Northern Michigan in the summer.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Trip tip tasted great, but was a bit overdone. The Traeger cookbook said 45-50 minutes, and when I checked at 35 they were already a bit overtemp. :( Flavor was great, however, and I just need to check them sooner and/or turn the temp down a bit.

Going to see if I can find a nice brisket this week. Easy to do when we're in Texas for the winter. Not so much here in Northern Michigan in the summer.
You might try smoking the Tri-Tip at 180º-225ºF for an hour and then bumping the pit temp to 280ºF until the internal temp reaches 145ºF (125º to 135ºF if you like it rarer). Let it rest under a foil tent for 20 minutes and carve against the grain. Good luck with the Brisket!!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, I think I'll try the slower method next time, rather than the high heat method in the Traeger book. Thanks.