Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #1

Travel Overseas

I have the opportunity to travel overseas in November and December on business. Each trip is a week long and should have 1 to 2 free days in them to see sights or whatever.

1st trip is to Bangkok, Thailand.
2nd trip is to Belfast, Ireland.

For those of you travelers that have been to these places, is there anything you recommend I do or see while there?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #2

It's been awhile since I was in Bangkok.

1. See the Snake Charmer/Handler show.
2. Try the seafood in a decent restaurant. If you like spicy food, you will love eating Thai food.
3. Take a river tour...ride on a boat with the long shaft out the stern.
4. There are a LOT of temples to see. Don't try to see them all.
5. Jewelry shops are a must-see. A good place to buy. They don't add a big premium to the gold because labor is relatively cheap. The reputable shops are government-regulated, so your chances of being cheated are a lot less than you might think.
6. Motorized rickshaw-taxis are an experience. You won't feel safe, but you will get there.
7. Bangkok is the world headquarters for most STDs.

That's about all I can think of right now.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
1. If you need dental work, Bangkok is the place to go. Much cheaper than US and the standards are just as high (had mine done there in July, EXCELLENT JOB). Can give you the name/address of the clinic.
2. Weekend flea market at one of the parks (N. Part of the Skytrain line, can't remember name of park). EVERYTHING you can imagine is sold there. Great place to spend the day.
3. Shopping for everything (except electronics, cheaper in the USA).
4. The Art Museum is excellent, and free.
4. Yes, stay away from Sol Cowboy.....unless you just want to watch the freak show. :-)
Have a fun trip...
Old 11-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Haven't been there since the mid 60's but all my memories of Bangkok are good ones, I do think if it is in Bangkok I have seen it so see all you can and take loads of pictures and remember to say Sa-Wa-Dee.

1fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #5

I used to travel overseas for work a lot. I would leave home on Sunday and come home six weeks later. When I had down time in an area for the first time, I would find a half day (sometimes whole) tourist bus tour of the area. You will endure all the forts and temples you can stand, and will stop at some real rip off stores (you do not have to buy) but you will see areas you want to go back to by yourself. You can also many times get some inside information from the bus driver about safe areas and off the beaten path gems (a decent tip helps this information flow). Enjoy your trips. Stay safe.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #6

I traveled to Bangkok for work in the early 90's. Fascinating place, very polite people. However, lots of air pollution so this may be an issue if you have respiratory problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I have the opportunity to travel overseas in November and December on business. Each trip is a week long and should have 1 to 2 free days in them to see sights or whatever.

1st trip is to Bangkok, Thailand.
2nd trip is to Belfast, Ireland.

For those of you travelers that have been to these places, is there anything you recommend I do or see while there?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fanman View Post
Haven't been there since the mid 60's but all my memories of Bangkok are good ones, I do think if it is in Bangkok I have seen it so see all you can and take loads of pictures and remember to say Sa-Wa-Dee.
If a male saying hello it should be Sa-Wa-Dee-Kap
If a female saying hello, it should be Sa-Wa-Dee-Kaa

Just a quick add-on that I was taught when I arrived.
Also, reverently placing the hands in front of you in the prayer gesture when saying hello is looked on very favorably.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #8

BKK regular

I go to BKK at least twice a year to work with my software programmer. Some things to do are great no matter where you stay (river tour but skip the dinner, floating market, temple visits). If you are near Sukumvit, eat at the Seafood Market (the new one). Very touristy, but great seafood. Can find any type of food here, mostly good restaurants. The tuk-tuk's are neat, but costly and hot. If a taxi driver volunteers to take you to a certain restaurant or entertainment center, he will be getting a commission and you will pay more. Just ask at the hotel desk. For a great room at cheap price use Agoda.com. And NEVER, EVER speak poorly of the King. Unlike the USA, they really do respect their leader.

Tags
travel