Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #1

Travel to Belize???

Anybody ever been to Belize,, recently ? NO, I'm not about to go,, reading about it... But my step daughter is going as part of her University course in archeology... Just some recent reading,, I'm not good with this,,, but I have no say... Your thoughts ???? Monkey

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
She's not driving I would hope.

Mike

Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #3

I don't think Belize would be an issue. Guatemala or Honduras would be an issue, but I'm not aware of any real issues with Belize. It is a former British colony and is supposed to have a higher standard of living than most of Central America.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I don't think Belize would be an issue. Guatemala or Honduras would be an issue, but I'm not aware of any real issues with Belize. It is a former British colony and is supposed to have a higher standard of living than most of Central America.
Thanks... I was reading about Guatemala still contesting Belize, and the British has recently pulled out thier military...
Old 02-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've been to Belize on. Live-Aboard dive boat, dove 3 or 4 dives a day on their reef, but never made in to the mainland. We did stop by a small island and saw the rare red footed boobies (birds!) and some beautiful jungle. I can't say anything about the country itself, but the diving was quite excellent. Gorgeous long purple sponges everywhere...
Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Belize,
We have been there a couple times while on a cruise. We had to use tenders so we walked to town from the shipyard and walked 2 blocks turned around and went back to the ship.This was on Sundays both trips and all we saw was people passed out in doorways of Businesses from Sat night.The 2nd trip we didn't even get off the boat. Very dirty, I very much wanted to go inland. Very disappointed.
Was really a bummer because we had really read about it and really wanted to see some sites. Nope, Same as Panama, The captain pretty much told us not to go pass the gate.
NOW Costa Rica Loved it, great, go, a must, Very friendly people, felt very safe. I would tour there with a MH
JM, tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #7

I've been to Belize via cruise ship. I want to go back. Didn't get a chance to do any of the dives. Did go on a tour way out in the country - cave tubing. It was beautiful. Our guides were locals. One place I have no desire to go back to is Roatan. This island was very sad. But, back to Belize. House Hunters Intl has done several of their episodes on Belize. It appears there are a lot of Americans going. I do have an acquaintance who owns a vacation rental property there. He said it's like anywhere else - be aware of your surroundings.

Hopefully the step-daughter will make sure to always be with someone from her University group. It sounds like an exciting opportunity to study the archaeology there. Lots of Mayan ruins.
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
We've been to Belize on. Live-Aboard dive boat, dove 3 or 4 dives a day on their reef, but never made in to the mainland. We did stop by a small island and saw the rare red footed boobies (birds!) and some beautiful jungle. I can't say anything about the country itself, but the diving was quite excellent. Gorgeous long purple sponges everywhere...
Were you by chance on the Belize Aggressor? We have been on it a couple times as well. We also flew out to a land based dive resort at Lighthouse Reef Atoll the 1st time we were there. We have over-nighted a couple times in Belize City and have been outside of town to some ruins. It's the only place I have ever seen where there are posted rewards for reporting littering. That speaks volumes. My impression is; Belize City is a dump but once you get outside of the city it is beautiful and friendly. I wouldn't worry about her going to Belize. She will be in good hands and will probably have a great lifetime experience.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yup, Belize Agressor. Not sure if they are still in operation, as it was @25 years ago when we were there. But it was a great operation for sure.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were there 12 or so years ago on a dive trip to Salt Water Key about 15 miles off shore from Dangriga. Dangrigra is about halfway down the country.
Our group (25 people) took two small planes from Belize to Dangriga when we arrived, then a boat to the island for a week ,then back to Dangriga and a bus back to Belize City when we left. The dollar is the official currency and English is spoken everywhere.

The main road north and south is the Hummingbird Highway and when I was there a lot of it from Dangriga to Beleize City was gravel.

Beautiful country and all of the people I met were friendly and hospitable.
The population is only about 350,000 and had less than 300 doctors back then.
The barrier reef offshore is the second longest in the world with Australia having the longest.
If my wife could still dive we would go back in a heartbeat.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
A lot of American's going to Belize

We have taken cruises there and several shore excursions. A lot of American's have been going there, buying property. Very nice area.
We are divers and yet to have gone on a dive there yet but really want to go! Some day! We dove Cozumel just can't wait to do Belize.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Yup, Belize Agressor. Not sure if they are still in operation, as it was @25 years ago when we were there. But it was a great operation for sure.
They are still there and going strong. Last time I was on it was Christmas 07. The Aggressor Fleet has grown and has boats all over the world. I've been on 5 of them.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #13
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Belize is trying to position itself as a good place for Americans to escape to permanently. I've given it more than a second glance myself.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #14

Thanks everybody... Guess I feel better about it now....

Tags
travel