Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #15

I have never left any credit card with anyone and never would. That just seems to invite problems. Most Flying J's will pump until full so never been a problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks everyone, I have a rewards card already and going to look at the revolving card, I do not like leaving my card with anyone.
I understand some have had no problems and I haven't, yet. But, I do not like taking them chances.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I have had my CC number stolen at an expensive hotel's bar. Did not find out till about a month later when they tried to use the number in a different state at the same exact time I was using it from my home state.
Thom's had his CC number stolen while trying to pump gas, at the gas pump. He had not gone in and left his card.
I have had the fraud department of my CU call me up to ask if certain online purchases with the card were ok. Ditto for Thom.

Just leaving your card will not get your number stolen. It can be taken any number of ways.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't like to leave my CC card when fueling up instead most places will accept your drivers license to hold while fueling my CC company recommend that.

Thanks,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Another option is to have your DW, DH or anyone traveling with you take the card in and watch it. Most of these places have a pigeon hole for each pump that the card goes in so you could keep an eye on it. The problem is it is still not that hard for a crook that works there to get your card number if they really want to.

We also just leave the card and have never had a problem. In fact our CU called us on a Sunday about an hour after buying $300+ diesel asking if we had charged that much.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #20

I would never leave my credit card with anyone. Also, when we eat at a restaurant, I take enough cash to cover the bill and tip. I never let the waitstaff take my card away to do the bill.

For gas, if I can't pay at the pump, I don't use that station.

On a side note, one of the most irritating things for me is to gas up and when it is time for the pump to print my receipt, it says "clerk has receipt". Sort of defeats the purpose of paying at the pump.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #21

What is still hard to believe is that credit cards are not associated with a fingerprint. Easily done in todays technology, including ordering from a computer. When you purchase a ticket at Disney you are required to match it with your fingerprint and CC companies can't do this ???
Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
I would never leave my credit card with anyone. Also, when we eat at a restaurant, I take enough cash to cover the bill and tip. I never let the waitstaff take my card away to do the bill.

For gas, if I can't pay at the pump, I don't use that station.

On a side note, one of the most irritating things for me is to gas up and when it is time for the pump to print my receipt, it says "clerk has receipt". Sort of defeats the purpose of paying at the pump.
I basically have the same rules:

My card never leaves my sight. I pay cash at all restaurants. At the pump I use 2 cards if necessary.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
The card does not have to leave your sight to be compromised. The number can be taken right under your nose and at the pump.

There is just a gas station in LA that they were warning everyone to look at their CC receipts for the last MONTH since there were at least 2 pumps that had things added inside to take card numbers and pin/zip code info. The only way they found it was one of the pumps had stopped working ........ This just happened this week .....

Again the card does not have to leave your hands to have the number and info taken.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If for some reason I can't use the CC at the pump, my wife goes in and she shows them the card and she hold it until I signal her to pay. I am not letting some minimum wage drop-out have access to my $20,000 limit CC if they can't trust me with $100 worth of diesel.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
The card does not have to leave your sight to be compromised. The number can be taken right under your nose and at the pump.

There is just a gas station in LA that they were warning everyone to look at their CC receipts for the last MONTH since there were at least 2 pumps that had things added inside to take card numbers and pin/zip code info. The only way they found it was one of the pumps had stopped working ........ This just happened this week .....

Again the card does not have to leave your hands to have the number and info taken.
Of course, and I could get mugged too. But that doesn't make simple precautions less important.

Although (in your example) this is possible if someone has access to the inside of the pump, it is not typical. Normally, if a skimmer is on the pump, it is on the outside and visible if you look carefully enough. Some are quite sophisticated. More likely to occur at an ATM that is not a Bank kiosk.

About.com: http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/
Old 09-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My card never leaves me. If I max the amount allowed on one transaction I just swipe it again.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well after reading all this and a call to the CC company. I too have implemented a new rule! My CC will not leave me. I am not going to put myself or the CC company thought the hassle of CC fraud. Plus why should I give my money or the CC's money to some one that it don't belong to! It maybe more of a hassle at the pump, but so be it! I do understand there are other ways of them getting my CC number, but less Likely if it don't leave my hand!

Thanks everyone. Really sucks things have to be this way.

On another note my fingers are way to big to type in this IPhone!
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post
Well after reading all this and a call to the CC company. I too have implemented a new rule! My CC will not leave me. I am not going to put myself or the CC company thought the hassle of CC fraud. Plus why should I give my money or the CC's money to some one that it don't belong to! It maybe more of a hassle at the pump, but so be it! I do understand there are other ways of them getting my CC number, but less Likely if it don't leave my hand!

Thanks everyone. Really sucks things have to be this way.

On another note my fingers are way to big to type in this IPhone!
Good plan ... I've been doing it so long I don't even think it's a hassle ... not foolproof but it's a help.