Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
He who travels alone travels the fastest.

We have traveled with friends when all our kids were young. There was always someone in the group who never gassed up the day before, etc

We now travel alone and seldom know where we are going exactly until the night before as we map our route. We change our minds a LOT and that doesn't work with a group.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
He who travels alone travels the fastest.

We have traveled with friends when all our kids were young. There was always someone in the group who never gassed up the day before, etc

We now travel alone and seldom know where we are going exactly until the night before as we map our route. We change our minds a LOT and that doesn't work with a group.
I am with you (not) on that one ... hehe happy trails
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #17

Tried traveling with another couple----ONCE----never again, start different times, stop different times, gas different times, etc, etc, etc.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hate traveling with others. Stop for this, stop for that, stop, stop, stop. Then I have to put up with, Hey Hot Rod or Turbo or Maniac. If I do 60mph, they do 57, if I do 57, they do 56. They always want me to lead and I spend the rest of the day looking in my rear view mirror watching them wave their Walkie Talkie out their window for me to answer them back. They of course, never put batteries in the thing. Nor do they have a working CB.
So for me now it's," see you at the campground" and we have a lovely evening together.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with Chuck. We used to ride our Trike with a group of other bikes and trikes and invariably they would be pushing the speed limit and trying to see how many miles they could squeeze into the day. Not my idea of a relaxing day on the road...!!! I like to be able to meander and stop whenever the mood strikes us....Now that being said, I do like the security of having other RV'ers with us on the road if we happen to have a mechanical issue. Many heads together can usually remedy the problem.

But I think that we will still go back to what Chuck said. "We will see you at the campground when we arrive". That works the best for us. We can get there early or late and then enjoy the camraderie of friends around the campfire. The best part is that we can retire to our own coach whenever we feel like it.

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #20

Kayjulia,

Outstanding response.

Like when we were into boating big-time; if I don't like my neighbors, I move my frickin' house.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #21

The majority of people bore the hell out of me. While I enjoy a conversation that is subject oriented, chit-chat is not conducive to my mental well being.

When George Washington died, in his notes on self improvement was something like "speak not but to improve yourself or others, avoid trifling conversation". I like that.

Another saying I live by is "While conversation improves understanding, silence is the school of genius."

Soooo - of course I travel, and boondock, alone.

Ed
USN Ret.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We almost always travel with DW's brother and his DW. We have done this for over 30 years and it works out good for us. We each have a MH and have similar interest so it works out for us.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We use to travel with another couple but they had a motorhome and we have a 5th wheel. They could eat traveling down the road,I'm good but not good enough to swing back to the 5er,fix a sandwich and get back into the cab,I think they sometime forgot this! They also like to boondock which we did 2 or 3 times when traveling with them and it was the most miserable nights ever. They live almost across the state from us and they started going to Florida for 3 to 4 months at a place not in our budget so we kind of drifted apart in the camping together thing. It was fun for awhile though,but we kind of like to do our own thing at our own pace.

Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have always traveled alone .We have taken children or grand children with us but we have never traveled with a group. DW and I have a hard enough time deciding when to leave, or which way to go, when to stop, I cant immagine trying to do that with a group. We did go to a campground where a group of friends were staying but we ended up doing our own thing. We are not into group things like potlucks (very picky about what I eat) .I guess we are just not groupies.
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #25

DW and I usually travel by ourselves because we like the freedom of deciding when to start, stop, where, how far, and how fast/slow to drive, etc. Last year we went on a one week trip with the camping club and it worked out well, so we plan on doing it again this year. Other than that we'll meet people at the campground if we get there in time. As for visiting I need to "escape to the MH" once in awhile but otherwise enjoy the conversations with others even if the conversation isn't thought provoking because I believe in the old saying laughter is good medicine
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I have never traveled with another coach and will always travel alone. I prefer that to any group travel because I have my own routine and time-lines. When on the road, I like to stop at convenient locations as my rig is 72 feet long. And when stopping for just overnight, I never look for a RV park. The only time I stay at a RV park is when I get tired of driving day after day. The stuff I want to see and do may not be what others choose so it works out the best by going it alone.

I have witnessed numerous caravans making the trek to Alaska and back. They are way too expensive and they have to stay on a certain schedule, YUK! Sorry, my schedule days are over when I retired. I took my watch off and have never put it back on. Don't need it, don't want it. My time left on this planet is limited so I am making the best use of it on my schedule.

The group travel may be great for some but my idea of a group is when we decide to settle in at one location for awhile, and we get to know our neighbors.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We enjoy traveling both ways, by ourselves or with a group- as long as the group isn't too big. We've found that the bigger the group the harder it is to come to agreement on where to go, how far to go, when to go, and what to do as we go. The advantage of traveling with a group of course is having friends along to share the laughs and experiences with and also to offer each other help if needed. Small groups (2 to 3 couples) are just about perfect.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote