Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Traveling with kids

I'm not new to traveling. I drove over the road for a number of years before I settled down, and we travel twice a year from Ne to Ky to see my wife's family. For the first time next summer we are planning on pulling our fifth wheel. We have 6 kids. They don't all travel with us at one time. We only have room for 6 in the truck.
Now I read all kinds of posts about traveling with pets. I lknow most of rvrs are older and retired. Im just waiting to see what happens when I pull in and my bunch of kids that have been pent up all day in a pickup truck get out and start burning energy.
I have already been to camp grounds near home where the little old lady next to us was getting upset about the kids. They are ages 16 to 3 with one on the way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #3

Our son & daughter grew up with multi-week summer RV excursions. And Christmas & Easter. They learned very early on how to be very energetic kids & still respect the camping experience of others. I always knew where they were and what they were up to. Under no circumstances would they have been allowed to disrupt the experience of other campers. They have a love for this lifestyle instilled in them that is manifested to this day. What I see a lot of now days is parents that seem to absolve themselves of any responsibility for their kids' actions, and kids that think they can do as they please. By all means take the kids RV'ing all you can. But please remember they are still your responsibility. Not mine.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

Good for you, it is nice to see families enjoy camping together. Just curious how you choose who goes and who stays ?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
......Now I read all kinds of posts about traveling with pets. I lknow most of rvrs are older and retired. Im just waiting to see what happens when I pull in and my bunch of kids that have been pent up all day in a pickup truck get out and start burning energy.
I think that depends on how they burn that energy and how much YOU help direct that energy to positive burning. If you turn them loose like wild animals and they're loud and screaming and running through people's campsites, you may well run into trouble with the CG owners. Some parents, and I have seen this more than once, practically ignore their children at a CG... allowing them to do anything they please with no restrictions. The parents are busy doing their own thing, whatever that may be.

Quote:
I have already been to camp grounds near home where the little old lady next to us was getting upset about the kids. They are ages 16 to 3 with one on the way.
Not just little old ladies will get upset with undisciplined children. Young campers aren't always willing to endure them either. They're your children and it's up to you to keep them under control and find things to do with them to help them run off that pent up energy. Don't inflict them on other campers.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

nI drug mine while there in the truck !! Lol. No not really . Just tell them where they can play and can't , have them do some chores to help out
Old 08-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Ours grew up camping and rving as long as you keep them busy they were always ok . But they grew up doing outdoors stuff. Young kids need that experience in life that's a good thing. Everybody has to start somewhere and learn ,sometimes people forget as they age. Kids will be kids as long as they know between right and wrong that's where you come in. Enjoy them while there young it goes quick.
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't over think this. In my experience, large families have better behaved kids than smaller families. They have to in order to survive. LOL As long as your kids are respectful and not completely out of control, most of us old retired folks will not only put up with them, but enjoy their company.

One other thought. Recently we observed Gram and Grandpa spend two weeks at the campground with NO electronics! At first the kids complained, but soon they were riding their bikes, reading, walking, going fishing everyday with Grandpa, coloring, etc.

At the end of the two weeks I asked the girls, if they enjoyed themselves. They had a ball, and no electronics!! I am not advocating a complete ban, but less use may really help the kids experience camping.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Don't over think this. In my experience, large families have better behaved kids than smaller families. They have to in order to survive. LOL As long as your kids are respectful and not completely out of control, most of us old retired folks will not only put up with them, but enjoy their company.

One other thought. Recently we observed Gram and Grandpa spend two weeks at the campground with NO electronics! At first the kids complained, but soon they were riding their bikes, reading, walking, going fishing everyday with Grandpa, coloring, etc.

At the end of the two weeks I asked the girls, if they enjoyed themselves. They had a ball, and no electronics!! I am not advocating a complete ban, but less use may really help the kids experience camping.
Great post !!! So much now days is focused on electronics,,, not so much dealing with "people"... In my day , (I'm 54) , I was in Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, went to summer camp,, had a great time with other kids And grown ups,,, sleeping in nature, sitting around a camp fire,,, etc... I think things would be better if we got back to our roots, but of course that won't happen... Take your kids out camping, and teach them the basics of life, how to treat people with respect, it will come back to them in a positive way....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Good for you, it is nice to see families enjoy camping together. Just curious how you choose who goes and who stays ?
The kids in order of age from my first wife go boy girl boy girl. So take boys one year then the girls the next. The 2 babies with my second wife are both boys. They go every time being that its wife no 2s family we visit.

They are all pretty well behaved. Loud at times like all kids. I think that lady we had trouble with was just bitter. Maybe she don't have grand kids. Or maybe seeing my kids reminded her how much she missed her own.

I have taken the kids camping (rving) since they were very little. at local campgrounds. We never had anything i could trust going cross country until now. We are looking forward to our first trip next summer. We are headed to KY this xmas so we are going to scout out where there are campgrounds.

jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel