Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Everybody has their bad day! Nuff said.

Sammie

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #16

I will try to explain why it is not so good to drive 700 miles in one day by describing my trip this summer. I started out on June 1, going to the Tetons and Yellowstone. I wanted to get there in 7 days and averaged 450 miles a day, only to find that Spring had not yet sprung in the Rockies and there was snow, hail, and cold rain every day for the first two weeks. When it got above 40 degrees F, it changed to mud. To add to the unpleasantness Fishing Bridge did not have electicity and my refer would not work on LP. So I had to go to Cody to get it fixed. While that was not on my original plan, that was when my luck started to change. I was forced to slow down. The drive out of Yellowstone to Cody was the most beautiful road of the trip so far. We pulled into the Pondarosa Campground and found that was the best so far. We contacted a repair guy recommended by the staff and found him far above just honest. We then learned that there was an indian pow wow scheduled the next day at the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum. That was when I figured out that you have to put up with the bad parts to get to the really good ones. We stayed in Cody for a week. We went back to Colter Bay and the sun came out. From then on until we got to just south of Phoenix AZ life was good but by then a little pain in my left leg would not go away. I limped for 2 more weeks until I could get to my Dr. who put me in the hospital with a DVT aka blood clot. Which gets me back to 700 miles a day. Sometimes you make your own luck. Doc said I dodged a very big bullet and I would have to stop driving 400 miles a day. Bad things happen when your pushing it beyond your capacity and are in a rush. During this trip I also learned that many are driving from one contract job to another. I hope you are all safe and take your time to get to the next job. Remember that the most important destination that you have to get to is not the next job but retirement. JMO. I could be wrong.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
I think most of us have had our bad days. I know I sure have. We will pray for you.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
For anyone reading this thread, Seajay embellishes a little bit and the above post is embellished only in the names of the places he stopped, like ""Roys garage, tanning parlor, cafe, beauty shop and welding shop", but ever incident he described actually happened to him. It's a good thing he won that $500 dollars, (and he did) because with out that he would not have had any good luck at all.
I did forget one thing....... Wayne the Marine was having a knee fixed and I wanted to suprise him with a ''custom carved walking cane'' I am a wood carver and sometimes I do pretty good. Since Wayne the Marine kept it a big secret that he was having a ''part'' replaced his wife finally told me about the upcoming surgery. I was really pressed for time and I wanted to do him a ''special good job'' on the carving of the fenial. I would work on it every day and I was happy with the results until I woke up one morning and discovered that the flamin fenial was split right down the middle ...... I said shux real loud because I had no more dry wood to work with. I packed the crack with epoxy glue and finished the job but it definately aint my best work but Wayne seems to be very proud of it.
Anyhow, that was just another ''thing'' that went wrong on my trip to ''H$*).....

Lets all thank a vet for our freedoms...... They risked their lives for us.

More later when I think of something worth writing .....me......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
I will try to explain why it is not so good to drive 700 miles in one day by describing my trip this summer. I started out on June 1, going to the Tetons and Yellowstone. I wanted to get there in 7 days and averaged 450 miles a day, only to find that Spring had not yet sprung in the Rockies and there was snow, hail, and cold rain every day for the first two weeks. When it got above 40 degrees F, it changed to mud. To add to the unpleasantness Fishing Bridge did not have electicity and my refer would not work on LP. So I had to go to Cody to get it fixed. While that was not on my original plan, that was when my luck started to change. I was forced to slow down. The drive out of Yellowstone to Cody was the most beautiful road of the trip so far. We pulled into the Pondarosa Campground and found that was the best so far. We contacted a repair guy recommended by the staff and found him far above just honest. We then learned that there was an indian pow wow scheduled the next day at the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum. That was when I figured out that you have to put up with the bad parts to get to the really good ones. We stayed in Cody for a week. We went back to Colter Bay and the sun came out. From then on until we got to just south of Phoenix AZ life was good but by then a little pain in my left leg would not go away. I limped for 2 more weeks until I could get to my Dr. who put me in the hospital with a DVT aka blood clot. Which gets me back to 700 miles a day. Sometimes you make your own luck. Doc said I dodged a very big bullet and I would have to stop driving 400 miles a day. Bad things happen when your pushing it beyond your capacity and are in a rush. During this trip I also learned that many are driving from one contract job to another. I hope you are all safe and take your time to get to the next job. Remember that the most important destination that you have to get to is not the next job but retirement. JMO. I could be wrong.
You are right. Sometimes, we loose sight of what is important. I was amazed at the number of people who want to speed through Yellowstone. Relaxing and enjoying the trip (and I also agree with you that the drive between Yellowstone and Cody is one of the most beautiful that we've had) is important.

We had another trip that could have been a trip from hades. We dropped our RV off at the chassis factory in Gaffney, SC for a major change to add anti-sway bars front and rear. It was supposed to take 10 hours. When we got back to pick it up after 12 hours, they told us that they had two techs working on it and that it would take 16 hours. When they gave it back to us, it was 6:30pm (in Nov), it was pouring down rain and if we started to travel, Atlanta was 1.5 hours away in the direction that we had to go. Because of the delay, we had to push hard the next day. So I ended up driving a vehicle with a massive chassis change that was never read tested 600 miles through intermittent rain and through Atlanta the next day. We pulled into a CG in the dark (across a one lane road that was also the breastwork of a dam) just West of Jackson, MS. I wanted to get out and kiss the ground.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Just remember no matter how bad things were, they probably will get worse.
From Paul Harvey:

"There's no reason to worry. Nothing's going to turn out all right."
Old 08-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #21

Y,all made us feel better! A,int so bad after all. Thanks!!!
cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Any time you feel things havn't gone well, just go rent the movie RV with Robin Williams. You will feel better. Watched it a few nights ago.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sure hope I never get to one up anyone in this post
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Sure hope I never get to one up anyone in this post
Some time I will post the story of our first trip in the MFH (Motor Home From Hell)
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote