Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Thumbs down Trip from hell

hi all! just finished the trip from hell. left Amarillo for a new work camper job in Hurricane Utah. first my bride of fifty years left the sink covers where the slide hit the drainage pipes and tore out the whole system. then we slipped in some mud during a thunder storm,hit an embankment.backed out after toad removal and pulled off the generator cap. gen came out with it and and bent rail. so it sticks out about a foot. drives better with out the cap?? there is more but will stop for now. 700 miles that day.a tired cord wood. bye.

cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll say a prayer for you!

mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just remember no matter how bad things were, they probably will get worse.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From here on down it is all up hill--------------------------
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Life's luck is bad, until you hear about someone else's luck in life.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
The positive: you lived to tell about it!
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
just remember like ones health you probably wanna keep your own problems after listening to others, good luck!
Joels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by cordwood View Post
there is more but will stop for now. 700 miles that day.a tired cord wood. bye.
700 miles in one day
Most I ever did was 500 miles with zero problems and I was beat after that.
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #9

Speaking of the trip from hell....made a really bad decision to go to the beach. It was so HOT we couldn't leave the motorhome. Now we're back home and it is so hot we can't go outside. If this is what hell is like, I'm gonna be good from now on!
Travel RVing is a website devoted to living the RV lifestyle to the fullest.

<a href="http://www.travelrving.com/">Travel RVing</a>
Travel RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of us smiled when we read this. Not because we think your problems are funny. Because we have all been there. Tomorrow is a new day.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry about your luck. It is unfortunate to have a series of problems like that.

Often times, problems are what you end up making out of them. We blew the transmission in a rental RV in Grand Island, NE at 4pm on a Friday afternoon. The rental company wanted us to wait there (maybe a week?) until the repairs were made. After some arm twisting, they found us a replacement - in Rapid City SD but we had to be there by noon on Saturday. We hastily unloaded the RV in to the only rental vehicle left, a minivan, food and all. We drove all night and ended up in Rapid City by 10:30am. The replacement RV had issues but we were able to park it in the KOA and use a bus tour to see Mt. Rushmore, etc.. On Monday, we got the problems fixed with the replacement and spent another 8 days going to Devil's Tower, across ND and into MI.

That turned out to be a terrific vacation even with the several days of problems. We had a grand time and saw a lot of wonderful things. I hope that you will end up with a similar result in Utah.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
A real trip from HELLL

This has already been posted earlier but here are the high lights.
We decided to go to Vegas to meet some friends for gambling, drinking, gambling, taking in a few shows and maybe a buffett.

We left home from NC heading west on I40. Somewhere around ''Horse shoe'' the starter died on the coach and I put on a new one while it was raining in the parking lot of an Advance store, while lieing in a drainage ditch with water running in the ditch about 3 inches deep. $135.oo

Along about ''Pea Vine'' i noticed that the trailer that we had my wifes custom built car on was ''running corrked''... I stopped at "Roys garage, tanning parlor, cafe, beauty shop and welding shop and had the crack in the trailer repaired with his welder ..... $150.oo

We made it to Canyon Duchet and the camp ground was full. the lady at the gate told me that I had no tail lights on the coach or the trailer. I said ''shux''.......She let us boondock in the parking lot. Next morning I fixed the wiring on the trailer.

That nite we got a call from a friend that we were suppose to meet in Vegas telling us that her husband had been killed in a hang gliding accident and could we come on out to Upper Lake, Calif.

We drove straight thru to Upper Lake and spent over two weeks with her. I presided at the ''celebration of life'' that they gave for Bill.

We had pre purchased tickets to see Bet Middler in Vegas and the were non refundable.........Probably 500.oo for each couple. I said shux....

Willa and I started home and decided to go by Vegas. We made it to Sams Town and the rooms would not slide out. I said ''SHUX'' ... The house batteries were shot and I bought more from ''Honest Sams Battery Town, Beauty Parlor and Video rental.......... $175.oo

We saw a add on tv that nite that Bobby Venton would be down to Laughlin in three nites ......$150.oo for two tickets on the Visa Card

We took Willas custom built car for a ride down to ''Red Rock Canyon'' and on the way home, the steering failed,,,,,..... I said ''SHUX REAL LOUD''
I paid a guy to take us back to Sams Town camp ground to get the trailer and the coach.......$100.oo

Four hours later I managed to get the car up on the trailer using a pair of vice grips to turn the steering box on the car to ''guide it''. there were several ''SHUXES'' and ''DAGGONES''. in this episode

We called for a refund on the Bobby Venton tickets and they said ''NO REFUNDS''........ I said shux again and gave the reserved tickets to a Canadian couple visiting the USA for the first time .......

We decided to just head for home and when we got back to the west side of Denver,,,,,,,,, the trannie stopped shifiting. I said ''SHUX'' REAL LOUD........

We boondocked in the parking lot of the garage of ''Clem and Jim'' for ten days waiting on a new trannie for the coach. they would take us to the store for supplies and we dumped our gray water in their parking lot with their permission ..................$4000.oo for the installed transmission.

We pulled out and the next day it started showing. Big, wet, heavy flakes. Lovely, Just ''Flaking'' lovely....

We made it over to Memphas Tenn and were excited about being close to home in NC when my cousin called. It seems that there had been a land slide on I-40 and both lanes would blocked for three months. I said ''shux''again........

We took a big 200 mile ''dog leg'' up thru Tenn. and over the mountain on a road that Dannel Boone used to explore the west on. It was wider than a drive way but more crooked. The semi trucks coming the other way is what made it fun. When we came out in NC a High Way patrolman told me that we were not suppose to be on that road due to our width. I said '' shux'' again and he let us go....

We got home and the house furnace would not come on so we slept in the coach for two nites till I got the house furnace fixed.....$300.oo

The only bright spot in the complete trip was that I won $500.oo with a ''Royal Flush'' in Sams Town playing Texas Holdum'......

I, Seajay the sailor man, to claim the worstest trip from ''HECK'' and I challange anyone to beat it.

Unlike some of my stuff THIS IS TRUE.......

God bless our troops and keep them safe .
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For anyone reading this thread, Seajay embellishes a little bit and the above post is embellished only in the names of the places he stopped, like ""Roys garage, tanning parlor, cafe, beauty shop and welding shop", but ever incident he described actually happened to him. It's a good thing he won that $500 dollars, (and he did) because with out that he would not have had any good luck at all.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
We found Amarillo Texas to be just plain bad luck for us! On our one big family trip to get the daughter and three grand kids virtually off of the street. we discovered four of the seven tires on our M/H were bad and broke the bank. We borrowed our way to Phoenix and back only to lose the rear universal joint just outside of Amarillo AGAIN!! While parked at the wrong part of the parking lot of the Amarillo Walmart, we discovered that people there use the parking lot as a short-cut around the traffic light and just cut across that aisles any which way! After observing several near miss head-on accidents around our RV we "retired" to a quieter corner of the parking lot. We'll try to avoid Texas all together from now on!!

1982 CrossCountry - NW Indiana
Ford Electrician
Built WITHOUT your tax dollars!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote