Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Troubleshooting A Roof vent/fan

Hi All,

New to RVing and we have a 26' Born Free Class C. She is in real nice shape. The vent fan above the main salon, a Fan-Tastic vent/fan with reverse and a water sensor, just stop moving. The motors whir and spin and it sounds like it is working, but nothing moves.

Before I take it apart, which will be a hassle, I wanted to see if any advice is out there on this 14 inch fan.

Thanks...Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
First of all Welcome !
Have you checked the allen set screw to see if it is tight?

onlakegaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd suggest calling Fan-Tastic and explain the problem.

Their customer service gets rave reviews on here.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/
Old 02-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
My suggestion is the same as onlakegaston's in checking the set screw on the fan. If the motor is turning the blade isn't that very well could be the problem. On my Fantastic fan, I had a heck of time breaking the set screw loose to remove the fan to clean. Finally it did break loose, I had contacted Fantastic Fan about it the removal, etc. and I too received a very prompt reply. Went to camper show this past weekend and a lot of the campers had this fan unit in them. Great fan for sure.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:14 AM   #5

Thanks, everyone. It is the dome opening mechanism/track that seems to be off. The dome motor works fine. The fan doesn't go on due to the track mechanism being unable to open or close the dome. The dome opens freely with a push up with, say, a long stick but it is off track. The track mechanism seems out of whack. I did try calling them but the long wait times have frustrated me. I will try again today.

Tom Happe
'99 Born Free 26'
E450 Ford
Old 02-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tom, may be just as easy to take it apart, etc. and take a look at it. Usually those tracks are too complicated but I can't remember for sure what it looked like when I had mine apart. My contact with them was through an email.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #7

Not sure if its the same as yours,,, but one of our "domes" came loose from the mechanism.. The small plastic wheel that connects the arm to the "dome/cover" had broken.. Took me about 10 minutes to install a small bolt, double nutted, and a couple washers. Works great now.... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #8

Thanks you members. Once I got in touch with Technical Support the determined that my dome arm had somehow disconnected at the motor end. For the cost of shipping they are replacing the motor arm and adding a new dome. FAN-TASTIC FAN is truly living up to their guarantee...this is a 1999 version and they are replacing the parts at their cost...SIMPLY AMAZING!

Tags
fan, roof, vent