Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #141

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey-KE7LBB View Post
Not all of us have bad manners!

I'm the guy who dims my lights about a mile or two before I need too for approaching traffic and don't click the brights on until traffic in front of me is 1/2 mile ahead.

I also yield to and move over for anyone who is in a bigger hurry than I am and hesitate passing others if I don't see much time being saved and especially when windy. I know how it feels when the "super truckers" blow your doors off in a snowstorm and I hate it!!

As for parking, Wal-Mart and ANY truck stop in the country will keep a light sleeper looking for a freebie awake at night. They aren't trying to be rude... They just need sleep like you.
My kind of truck driver, wish they were all like you Mikey, thank you for being considerate of other motorists.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
My kind of truck driver, wish they were all like you Mikey, thank you for being considerate of other motorists.
Thanks for the thanks

I stick to these values even while driving my personal vehicle.

I'm not an "over the road" trucker, but I do travel many miles of interstate and two lane highways at night. I have noticed a sharp decline in courtesy recently. Reluctantly, I still try to do the opposite. Many people run with the high beams on all of the time!! I say a few choice words under my breath and deal with it.

I've noticed that the radio is mostly silent and fellow drivers seem to have forgotten about the courtesy flash when it's safe to return to the lane after passing. I know when I have enough room, but it still feels nice to have someone assure you that you really do.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #143

With the rush rush of traffic, deadlines getting harsher, restrictions from Government, it is a wonder any of the truckers will talk to us at all, but somehow they come thru when needed. They all aren't bad. Just the normal "few bad apples"that any organization has.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
I have been RV motorhoming for over 40 years, and I have been assisted by truckers innumerable times. Maybe I have been just lucky, but I have never met a trucker who was not friendly. I have been offered the use of tools, parts, and physical assistance. We have in turn offered beverages and assistance when needed. When pulling through a rest stop, if a truck is blocking a lane, without asking, I have seen truck drivers move their rigs to accommodate others.
They work hard at a hard job. Let's not paint an industry with a broad brush.
Happy trails.

DITTO.....
Some (not all) truck stops have an area just for RV's to park away from the trucks..... Go in and ask!!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #145

Texas Boomers Club
IMO, I'd rather put up w/ the noise.....knowing that the driver is getting much needed rest. Otherwise, they'd be pushing themselves on the road and possibly eventually cause an accident because he's is not as mentally alert had he stopped and rested for a few hours. (I know there are laws and logs but we all know that not everyone walks a straight line all the time) Basically, you're both there for the same reasons - to REST, not for the peace and serenity and beautiful views! If you're there to save money only, then don't forget that you get what you pay for. Next time you're in a CG, take the time to enjoy it even more knowing that you won't have a big rig parked next to you at night.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #146

I'm strictly a "right lane @ 65mph max" kinda guy..they're out there making a living.. I try and stay out of their way unless I just can't help it. I've found 99% of the truckers are great on the road. I stayed 1 night in a truckstop in Gaffney, SC after a 12 hr day of driving 2 summers ago... and got very lucky.. the place was HUGE and had separate RV and truck parking which made for a pleasant nights sleep. Only problem is, I can't recall the name of it ! LOL ! On the other side of the coin, I have been behind RVers who fuel up, then sit at the pump and wash every window on the coach AFTER they're done fueling, then check the oil, kick the tires, walk the dog, etc.... so some of us RVers are JUST as discourteous to one another as we claim others are to us....keep it in mind...
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #147

Monaco Owners Club
Have you considered a possible better title to this thread is:

"Automobile drivers have no manners."
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #148

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVn View Post
IMHO I have the right to stay overnight in a reststop, Flying J, Wallyworld or what ever. I also have the right to move on if I'm not comfortable there.
Though there are a few governments that may well argue with you (Anti-overnight parking ordiances for RVers)

Very well said, Very very well said.

If you don't like the parking spot.. MOVE.

Most Flying-J's have segregated RV parking.

Now why I re-read this thread.. The topic is trucker manners,, The O/P parked in "Trucker land" and is offended that the truckers acted like truckers, He should have parked in RV-land instead, Though I do, on occasion, see mannerless truckers parking in RV-Land. But back to why I'm posting.

Just finished a drive from the south end of Kentucky (TN side) to Wilmington Ohio (About 40 miles east of Cincy)

I tend to drive 55-60, thus since KY is a 70mph state truckers pass me, I flash 'em over, ONE, excactly ONE thanked me.

Once I hit the ohio state line I maintained my speed (Though the legal lmit dropped to .. Well, what I was driving) still truckers passed me, over half of them said "Thanks for the flash over".

Wonder what (Other than my direction of travel (East instead of north) changed?

Pulled into Wilmington, got gas, got food, went to Lowes and ask for permission to spend the night (Got it Manager told me to park at the far end of the lot behind Staples.. GUESS where I was already parked,, Yup, right there) Picked up a few things I needed for the MH, And next morning opened the RV park where I had reservations (Opening day at the park, I was first in line at the gate).
Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #149

Living in Oregon with kids & G-kids in Maine and Florida we travel both coasts. It seems to me I get more "thank you" flashes on I-5 than I do on I-95. Just my opinion.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #150

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy y'all,
When I was moving ourselves to the ranch 350 miles, I made 17 trips with a 1985 Ford E150 van and a 16 foot 'covered-wagon' trailer, with a cut-out of Barney the Dinosaur holding my trailer license plate... Most return trips were after dark and the truckers began calling me Barney.. That old van had the brightest halogen headlights I've ever had on a truck and when I'd 'flash'em' over the truck drivers would holler on the CB "Dim'em dammit, Barney.." and I'd holler back, "They are on dim.." and they were!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #151

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow I'm new to the site and for the most part have found it very good. But with eveything it has its dark side! There are alot of post that didn't even address the ?s Being new to RVing my first stop was at a walmart, and yes I parked by the semis WHY because ithought thats were I had to park. As for your ?s you have a few good answer Welcome to the USA
Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofiatalvik View Post
We've parked in a flying J once and being crammed between a hundred trucks who all had their engines in all night was not my idea of a good nights sleep. But lately when we've parked in walmarts we've started out by our own and after a few hours there will be five trucks all parked RIGHT next to us with their engines on full speed.

We've even made a point of not parking at the farthest side of the lot to avoid this but it seems it doesn't matter. When we've been parked next to other RVs we never keep the generator on all evening or all night to avoid disturbing others but this does not seem to apply to truckers.

Several times I've considered moving to the other side of the parking lot because we've suddenly found ourselves surrounded by big trucks.

Why do they do this? Don't they have any manners?
Why would anyone in their right mind pick a truckstop to stop and spend the night and expect all the hard working truckdrivers to stop their engines and let their loads spoil just so you (who should not be there in the first place) can get some shut eye. Saying truckdrivers have no manners is like saying all RVers are stupid.... especially the ones that stop in a truckstop end expect everyone to do what makes you happy, get off your highhorse and goto a campground!!!!!! Some people still work for a living.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I tend to drive 55-60, thus since KY is a 70mph state truckers pass me, I flash 'em over, ONE, excactly ONE thanked me.

Once I hit the ohio state line I maintained my speed (Though the legal lmit dropped to .. Well, what I was driving) still truckers passed me, over half of them said "Thanks for the flash over".

Wonder what (Other than my direction of travel (East instead of north) changed?
I'll chime in on this one...

If it was a high beam "courtesy flash" at night, it has a tendency to blind someone looking into the mirror and is rather unwelcome at times since most pickups towing anything makes the low beams shine brightly in our mirrors all of the time. Day time flash or low beams being momentarily shut off at night will give you (almost) all of the thank you flashes you are seeking.

If there isn't a positive response when these conditions are met, I'll have to side with you on the rude trucker thing
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
Have you considered a possible better title to this thread is:

"Automobile drivers have no manners."
Well said!

I wear all 3 hats here and I find myself cussing at all of my fellow travelers at some point in time... Most of them don't have anything in-tow!