Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl

You said earlier that you are usually first in the lot. Those truckers coming later are assuming that you are where WalMart wants you to park and thus park next to you. It is common in most WalMart lots to have all the over nighters in one area.

As for the noise.. LOVE it. Better than a fan...
Ok that explains a lot. Thanks I'm a light sleeper though I'm afraid :(
Sofiatalvikw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my opion most of the truck drivers idling are company drivers and don't have to buy their deisel. I have never idled overnite except to run air cond.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVn View Post
IMHO I have the right to stay overnight in a reststop, Flying J, Wallyworld or what ever. I also have the right to move on if I'm not comfortable there. If you are looking for ideal conditions then my guess is the place for you is a CG. If you are looking to catch a nap during your travels then you will take what you can get. Truck drivers, as stated previously, are on the job making a living and are doing a job that most of us wouldn't want to do on a permanent basis so don't expect them to try to make your night more pleasurable. Last time I checked, Flying J is a truck stop not an RV stop. I'm sure there are more truck customers than RV customers so RV's are the minority. Live with the situation or move on.

Being retired means you can put off till tomorrow what you could have done today
Sorry, but being allowed to stay overnight in a private parking lot is not a right, it's a privilege granted by the lot owner.
Part of the problem now a days is that too many people feel they are entitled to do what ever they want.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
To be frank, I've encountered more rude people in campgrounds than at truck stops and wal-docking. The late night arrivals rolling in at midnight, spot/dock lights on, genset rumbling, chassis motor roaring, rolling back and forth, back and forth trying to find that perfect spot - wife yelling "left! STOP!!" and finally, the sound of the little dog barking after getting settled in. Then the inevitable biker firing up his overtuned bike at 5am to needlessly tour the campground. Not that I'm taking note.

I'd much prefer the sound of an idling truck next to me.

I always feel a bit guilty when I'm holding up a trucker -- re-fueling, truck wash, etc. I try to get in and out with as little inconvenience to trucks as possible. As someone else pointed out, they're there because they have to be, I'm there because I want to be.

Relax and enjoy your travels!
Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #33
DKO

Our family has spent many, many nights parked in the RV section at Flying J all over the country. When the weather is right we open the windows and sleep like a baby. We even learned to sleep through the announcements. "Shower number 5 is now ready...Shower number 5 is now ready." We are thankful they allow us to park while we are making time out on the road and wouldn't dare complain. Although we have stayed much less at WalMart I feel the same way about them.

DKO
Old 03-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #34

Talking Go to the RV side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofiatalvik View Post
Oh and btw. I know flying J is a truck stop that's why I made the point in my post that that wasn't for me. I've only stayed once and then I stayed away. I do however think its a big difference between Walmart and flying Js tho.
When we stay at Flying-J for the night we go to the RV side. It's always quiet and the big rigs don't park there. It's just RVs and the lots are well lit. Most of the time we choose a Wal*Mart. There are more of them and they're easier to find. Only once did a big rig pull up where the RVs were. It was almost midnight and there was plenty of space for 18 wheelers a little further down the row. I don't know why he chose to be in the middle of the RVs. 45 minutes later he came out of the store, got in the rig and left. This 18 wheeler was so noisy I could feel the vibrations of the engine through the ground. There was no sleeping next to it. Most truckers are considerate and don't park close to RVs.

Let's not forget the inconsiderate RVers who run generators all night in the parking lots, keeping others awake or forcing them to move. People are people are people.

Like you, we have to budget to some extent to take these trips and to snow-bird. We can't see trying to find strange CGs in the dark in places we've never been to. Our two GPS units are only accurate 2 to 3 times out of five. Wal*Marts are easy to find and usually right near the interstates. Why pay $25 or more just to sleep in some CG? On really long trips we will stop at CGs but that's because we'll spend 2 nights to there to rest up, dump the tanks, download our email, shower and take on fresh water if needed. But we don't take many long long trips these days, not with the price of gas.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyT View Post
To be frank, I've encountered more rude people in campgrounds than at truck stops and wal-docking. The late night arrivals rolling in at midnight, spot/dock lights on, genset rumbling, chassis motor roaring, rolling back and forth, back and forth trying to find that perfect spot - wife yelling "left! STOP!!" and finally, the sound of the little dog barking after getting settled in. Then the inevitable biker firing up his overtuned bike at 5am to needlessly tour the campground. Not that I'm taking note.
Wait till you get a bunch of raving ranting drunks pull in next to you at night, or one of those stressed-out fighting yelling couples with 4 screaming kids, a crying baby AND one or two yappy dogs. CGs can be noisy places at night also. Last but not least on the pest list, a group of teenagers with blaring lunatic music and dense pot fumes eminating from their tent or van fit to set your smoke alarm off. Ever get a contact high at 2 AM?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofiatalvik View Post
Ok that explains a lot. Thanks I'm a light sleeper though I'm afraid :(
I'm a light sleeper also. No way can I sleep if someone's generator is running, an 18 wheeler is idling or music is playing close-by. I've tried ear plugs but they don't work for me. Noise in the Wal*Mart lots for the most part is minimal. Trucks stay by themselves. Same for Flying-Js, if they have the RV lot available.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you're at the Flying J they have an area in front for the rv'ers to park. There are NO semi's in that area. Trick is, you have to be off the road pretty early to get a spot. We have never had a problem staying there. Of course there is the ongoing traffic but that doesn't bother us.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Sorry, but being allowed to stay overnight in a private parking lot is not a right, it's a privilege granted by the lot owner.
Part of the problem now a days is that too many people feel they are entitled to do what ever they want.
I guess I chose the wrong word, priviledge would be the proper word. I personally use these private lots only when I drive late and get up early. If this seems a little over the top for for you I am very sorry but I doubt very seriously if we will ever cross paths since this appears to be beneath you. Happy trails friend.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpytrkr View Post
OK, as a 25 plus year driver, let me say that the engines are not running at full speed. Reefer units have to run on trailers. Trucks run to keep the A/C or heaters running. I will agree with the person who said that is why there are campgrounds. I would like to see the average RVer having to run under DOT rules. Keep log book, not drive more then 10 hours, physical cards, and a special license. Just keep in mind that truckers are out there because they have to be, you are out there because you want to be. Are truckers loosing their manners? Well, I will say in the past years, I have noticed that the "professional coutesy" has gone down the hill. My suggestion to you is plan your trips so you can stay at campgrounds.

Regards,
I believe the OPs point was not why are they are running their engines, but rather - that when they had 300 empty parking space to choose from, why did they chose to park in the one next to the MH?

I think the answer is simply really. It's human nature to "band together" or feel that there is "safety in numbers". Truckers are people too after all - they get scared of being parked alone at night, just like any body else, so, I think, the reason they chose to park next to the MH, was to "band together" with fellow human beings. Perhaps they did not realize their engine noise would be heard from inside the RV? Perhaps they thought, living in an RV and running a generator, you'd be used to sleeping with such sounds.

I don't think they were intending to be rude or trying to annoy you, but rather I think they felt safer being parked near you.

Than when the second one came and saw both your MH and the other truck, they too felt it was safer to park along side, rather than alone on the other side of the lot. And so on and so forth. Eventually you had a lot full of truckers each of whom felt they had found a safe place to sleep for the night - feeling there was safety in numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpytrkr View Post
Just keep in mind that truckers are out there because they have to be, you are out there because you want to be.
Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyT View Post
As someone else pointed out, they're there because they have to be, I'm there because I want to be.
I too park in WalMarts and no I'm NOT here because I WANT to be!

I never intended to become a fulltimer. Until 3 years ago I had never heard the word before. It was a lifestyle that was thrown on me curtsey of Hurricane Katrina. I tell people about the flood and being homeless and and all, but not having survived Katrina, they have no idea how hard it was to go through the years following her.

Most people on here (iRV2) spend weeks, months, years even talking about plans to sell their house and fulltime. The hopes and dreams of one day traveling in an RV. Me? I never planned on not living in a house, and even after Katrina took the house I planned on going back into a house again. I never dreamed of living in an RV. I had no idea how much I would change in such a short time! I didn't have to worry about selling everything or finding a place to store stuff, because a hurricane took care of all that for me. It came through, leveled the house, trashed everything inside, and left me with absolutly nothing.

For me a motorhome wasn't a fantasy dream of adventure travels, for me a motohome was grasping at the only straws I had left to hold on to. It was a way to have a roof over my head again, a warm soft place to sleep after 6 years of sleeping on the cold hard, and often frozen ice coated ground. It was a way to survive.

I lived in a house for 27 years. Than Hurricane Katrina came dashing through and took the house with her. She hit so hard in the South that those of us who were hit in New England got completly ignored in the aftermath - in other words, no FEMA or Red Cross to help us - they were all volunteering down South. Unfortunatly an ice storm followed Katrina's tail and Maine got hit by a -48F blizzard in October, the sub-zero temps froze the hurrican water and did more damage than the hurricane itself had done. Here I am the next morning after the blizzard - me, 1 dog, and 9 cats, living under a 8x6 tarp buried under 3 feet of snow, with -48F temps. It was the coldest winter in Maine history since 1817.

I survive 3 blizzards and 5 hurricans while living under that tarp.

I lived under the 8x6 tarp/tent-thing for the next 3 years, lived in a car for the following 3 years, and finally after 6 years of homelessness had saved up enough money for a motorhome.

Originally I had planned to go back to living in a house, but 6 years without a house, I kind of can't see myself ever going back to a house now. I'll explain. See there was a short while, where I moved out of the tent and into an apartment. I moved in, thinking "At last, I'm back in a house!" Only, it wasn't that great. I couldn't sleep - I had gotten used to sleeping on the beach in a tent, listening to the waves and gulls. I got used to falling asleep as soon as it got dark and getting up at 4AM with the sun. I got used to cooking over an open fire. I got used to sleeping in a sleeping bag. I could not readjust to beds, stoves, or having a roof over my head and walls all around me. I found myself getting all clastrophobic over the idea of roof and walls! I felt like a wild animal trapped in a cage and all I wanted to do was escape and get back outside to my tent! It freaked me out, because here I was, I had spent 3 years doing nothing but "wanting" to get back in a house and when I finally got back in one I couldn't stand it because I missed the close connection I had developed with living outdoors with nature.

So I moved out of the apartment and into my car while I tried to figure what the heck I was going to do next. I knew I could not continue living in a tent full time because, well after 3 blizzards in a tent, if I had learned one thing it was that Maine is damn cold in the winter and I at least needed a way to get out of the rain and wind.

It was shortly after that I was visiting my dad and he wanted me to watch this "wicked funny dvd" he had found. It was "RV" staring Robin Williams. I watched it and it was like a light went off in my head, I was all "OMG that's it! That the answer! I'm buying a motorhome! I can have the best of both worlds, my close connection with nature, sleeping in a tent, cooking outside, and still have a place to get out of the snow and rain!

So I spent the next 3 years living in my car while searching high and low for "the perfect" (for me) motorhome. I found her 2 years in when I found a 1975 Dodge Class C, unfortunatly the owner disagreed with me and insisted she was his pride and joy and he would never sell her. So I spent another year searching and trying out motorhomes, but couldn't find one, because in the back of my head I had this old Dodge stuck in my brain. Than after last week I was doing my usual Craisglist search, and there she was: the 1975 Dodge he "would never sell". Knowing where it was, I immediatly drove all the way to his house and bought it on the spot, without seeing the inside, test driving her, or even knowing wether or not I could drive her home or would she need to be towed! LOL!

Now I have my MH and am glad I choice this life. Funny looking back though, because I was perfectly happy living in a house all those years and the thought of living in a tent, car, or rv never would have occurred to me. When the flood first happened I thought it was a bad thing, but looking back today, I'm glad it happened because it opened up a whole new lifestyle for me that I never would have considered otherwise.

I'm going to copy and paste the blog post I wrote the day I bought my motorhome:

No Hurry
or
How I Came To Live in a Motorhome

The day started like any other day. It was warmer and wetter than usual, seeing that a hurricane was currently trapped in the Gulf of Maine and spending the week flooding rivers, washing out sand dunes, and uprooting trees. It was the first day of no rain in more than a week. My first chance to go out in the garden and examine the damage. I had no idea that when I stepped outside of the house that day, I would never step inside it ever again. The house was in one corner of the farm, and the garden was in the opposite corner, over a steep hill and across a dangerously swollen brook. The farm being boarded by beach on one side and swamp on the other, with a brook crossing though it, meant even without the hurricane we live in a very wet area. The swamp could no longer be seen, as the flood waters had risen over the top of the grass, making it look like a small lake had surrounded us. I had been examining the damage in the garden less than 3 minutes when my 14 year old brother came running down the hill and across the bridge, his eyes wild with terror as he said: “There’s something wrong with Daddy and the house is full of water!” The rest of the day was a blur of police, EMTs, and ambulances. Daddy was in a coma and the house which had stood there only minutes ago, was a pile of rumble, crushed by a flash flood which had came and went in only seconds.

What we did not know was Daddy had taken out a “reversed mortgage” on the house, which stipulated, he could live there until he died or was unable to take care of it. Daddy had only been in a coma a few days when the bank came to us and told us the farm was theirs, by being in the hospital over a certain amount of days my dad had forfeited the loan, and me, my mom, my 3 teenaged brothers, 2 dogs, 3 birds, and 9 cats suddenly found ourselves not only houseless, but now landless as well.

It would be another 2 months before Daddy would be pulled off life support, because his medical insurance said they refused to pay another day of the $13,000 a day machine my dad was hooked up to. We were not given a choice, we were simple told one day by the doctors: “We took him off life support last night, because his insurance was cut.” By some miracle he continued breathing on his own, and would be in the hospital another 6 months. Nearly a year after the flood, he was sent home and found out what had happened. Now disabled, barely able to talk or walk, my dad, a life long poultry farmer, suddenly found himself crippled and living in his car.

Meanwhile, my mom had gotten a divorce, remarried and left taking my 3 little brothers with her. Me? I have Autism. I was 30 years old. I had never been to school, never driven a car, never really had contact with humans outside of my family, and had barely spoken a word most of those years. I had been removed from school at age 8, told I was too retarded to be worth teaching anything to, told I would never amount to anything, never drive a car, never have a job, and college was out of the question. No one attempted to teach me any of those things and my childhood, teen and young adult years, had been spent gardening, and rescuing animals.

Fortunately we still owned part of the land, as my dad had divided it up before taking out a mortgage. Here stood the last remaining barn and enough land for me to pitch a tent, only I had no money and no idea how to get any. The concept of a job had never been taught to me. I built a tent out of a 8x6 tarp, and that is where I would live for the next 6 years, including through 3 blizzards and 5 more hurricanes. I was alone for the first time in my life. My dad was in the hospital and who knows where my mom had run off to. By October 2006 I had my first job, at age 31. By December I had my car, a $900 1992 Volvo 240GL, which I have since found out was so cheap because it has a bad habit of falling apart, usually while driving down the road. Though I had the car, I was not yet able to drive it, but it was a place to live in on days it was too cold or wet to stay under the tarp.

I discovered that if I had a college degree, I could get a better job, so college became my next goal, though to jump from Grade 3 to college 27 years later, with no schooling since I was 8 years old, meant I had a huge challenge to hurdle here. Math was than and still is, my biggest challenge, but I finally received my GED in December 2010 and my driver’s licence August 2011. September 2011 I started my first semester of college at YCCC. I transferred to SMCC in the Spring 2012. I had now completed nearly everything the psychologists had said someone with my kind of Autism would never do: I had a job, I had and was driving a car, and I was in college. The last step was to be able to live on my own, in a place of my own, without the help of shelters, soup kitchens, and food pantries. I had to move out from under the tarp and find a place to live. This has troubled me for the past 6 years. See, while I can work, my Autism limits what I am able to do, and also limits who is willing to hire me. The result is I make $7.75 a hour for only 14 hours a week, which barely pays the $40 a week gas I need to get to college, not to mention the constant repairs needed to keep my car running. Thankfully I can eat at the college for only $5 a meal, otherwise I’d still be eating only 1 or 2 skimpy meals a week at soup kitchens. I can barely afford to eat and drive to college, how can I afford an apartment when prices are more per week than my income is per month? After searching high and low for a solution, a solution presented itself one day when visiting a relative and watching Robin Williams (than) latest movie: “RV”. My tarp-tent is pitched on the boarder of The Powderhorn Campground. I spend each summer surrounded by thousands of RVs in all shapes and sizes, but I never once thought of them as anything but vacation vehicles. I had never been inside one, and I had no idea that nearly 20 million Americans live in them full time. I could not afford a house. I could not afford an apartment. I could however, if I saved enough money, eventually afford an old motorhome. It took me three years to do it, but I finally saved up $4,000 and set out to find myself a motorhome.

Yesterday, February 21, 2012 was a very big day for me. A milestone. Yesterday I bought a 22 foot 1975 Dodge Sportsman F40 Class C Motorhome. Her previous owner, a race car driver, had used her as a rally car, and painted her to match his race car, a Sublime Green 1970 Dodge Charger. He called her “No Hurry” because she moved so slow and never seemed in a hurry to get any place. She is bright fluorescent, metallic lime green, with flat black racing stripes, and covered sides and back with race car sponsor stickers. Inside she has NASCAR decor and a 2 inch thick shag carpet. And now for the first time, I am at school today, as a person who is no longer homeless. My house may be small, just 22 ft long by 9 ft wide, and it may be on wheels, but it’s a house, none the less. Once again I have a bed and a toilet, a full kitchen, a dinning room, there’s even a bath tub (a rare thing to find in an old RV). A place to wash, a place to eat, a place to sleep, and for the first time since I started college, I can do my homework at home, no more coming to college early and staying late, trying to get all my homework done all in one day! And more importantly it’s warm and dry. Everything is small of course and being 40 years old it has it’s problems, but still, it’s a house and for the first time in 6 years, I can finally say, I am no longer homeless.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #40

OMG!!!
Never saw that hijack coming...
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I guess it's all a matter of you get what you pay for.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"Truckers Have No Manners" - Talk about an over generalization much???

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote