Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
thats why they have campgrounds.

Ditto.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #58

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Some of you are praising truck drivers like they're Gods. I've been RVing for 50 years, started out with my parents at 5 years old. In the 60's, 70's, 80's and maybe into some of the 90's. truckers were the Kings of the Road and professional drivers. Now......I certainly don't see that anymore. There may be a few couples teams that are still polite, but not many. A third of the drivers don't even speak English. Today's trucker is not what they use to be. Sure they move everything around this country....so what.....its probably one of the few jobs most of them are qualified to do.

Man, dude, you must really hate truck drivers. Why didn't you just say that we ride the short bus to school??????? For me to get my CDL, with all endorcements requires me to take 7 written tests. As far as the speaking english going, I think you need to look into the new 525 DOT rules.

I really don't know how to respond other than what I've said. It's like trying to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. You hate truck drivers, and nothing else matters. Sorry......

Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have also noticed a decline in TD courtesy. I never did a count but 1 in 22 that acknowledge flashing of lights for lane change seems right. I would think the majority of the non English speaking group would be independents and they are probably the majority in the rude group too. Buuuttt, I can't paint them all with the same brush. I know and have known some good, hardworking truck drivers in my life. They made a living the best way they could and were decent people. Here again, if the conditions aren't satisfactory, move on to another spot. Not worth the stress to agonize over something you can change.

Being retired means you can put off till tomorrow what you could have done today
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #60

Here's a question: Do you flash your bright lights in the trucker's eyes at night? Or do you blink them off? The latter is the correct move at night; bright lights in the daytime.

However, most truckers aren't expecting you to flash, so they may not notice it.

I've driven for 35 years, now. Every stupid trick I see today I saw before. Every JB Hunt joke I hear today, I heard about Roadway 35 years ago.

And you wouldn't want to know about the accidents I have assisted at over the years; some have left me bloody and traumatized for months.

I work for Toys R Us, now. Walmart doesn't like us in their parking lots. Imagine that!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

We just completed a 2000 mile trip through Arizona and New Mexico this past week. The truck speeds in those states are 75mph. I don't run my DP that fast and I stay out of the way of the trucks. I conducted an experimnet on this trip. Everytime a truck passed, I assisted them with a flashing of lights (easily done through my SmartWheel). About one out of every 22 flashed back.
There are at least two good reasons why your well intended but probably misguided "courtesy" wasn't returned. Reason number 1 is today's drivers are taught to not flash lights except for legal and acceptable practices. The reason is liability issues. ie., Truck A flashes Truck B to pull back in from left lane. Meanwhile Car C slips in front of Truck A from the right and gets sideswiped by Truck B's trailer. End result is that Car C files a lawsuit against Truck B who then blames Truck A, who was just trying to be courteous. Reason number 2 would concern your "SmartWheel" which, if it's anything like mine, will flash the high beams right in the trucker's mirrors (never a good thing), unless, of course you are using headlight on/of switch which would be the proper way to do it.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #62

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recall days of old when if you ran a gas engine at idle for like 8 hours you were loved by your mechanic,, But you could let a diesel idle till it ran out of fuel before the mechanic smiled. Today.. the reverse is often true, But I don't know about the engines in those trucks.

Now some drivers have 120 volt air conditioners installed (And heaters) and a Honda Portable (EU-xxxxi type) so it is nice and quiet. But others Well, that's how they keep warm/cool. They do not have a choice.

Usually at a "J" there is segrated RV parking,, I was at a new Loves today and parked in segragated RV parking,, OF course so was the little car beside me Now those are the folks who tick me off. .the ones that park a car or bobtail truck in the RV slot (Bobtail means no trailer, it might be a pick up or a semi tractor) That is for RV's Busses and Cars/Pick-ups with trailers. NOT BobTails!!!.

(NOTE There was lots of car parking open, the car lot was only about 1/3 full)

I should point out that at THIS Loves. Today, there was lots of RV parking too, but last time I was there it was more crowded.

In some lots I have seen "RV-ONLY" signs.. Same cars in the RV spots though.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #63

Quote:
...Everytime a truck passed, I assisted them with a flashing of lights (easily done through my SmartWheel). About one out of every 22 flashed back. ..
During the daytime somewhat true. At night? I find it's 1 for 1.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #64

I've noticed the flashes and thank yous have declined in the last 15+ years. I try to flash anybody that passes me and always give thank yous to whoever flashes me.

What I find irritating is the drivers that pull back in front of me as soon as they pass when there is no one behind them. I don't need the dirt and gravel kicked in my face when they could have waited a few hundred feet more. Then there are the ones that pass you then slow down, even on flat land. Why?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
thank yous to whoever flashes me.
Love it when they flash me, oh we're talking about something else oops.

But seriously I also give Flashes to any trucker it's just common courtesy. Just like a flick of the wrist wave to anyone in a campground just plain courteous
Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 AM   #66
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't hate truckers......I drove my work vehicle about 35000 miles a year through the Los Angeles County area, one of the most difficult places for a truck driver to manuever. Even in my work vehicle, I made room for trucks to merge and change lanes because I know what its like to drive in that traffic. Most accidents involving large trucks are caused by people in cars cutting them off.

For those that don't know, the SmartWheel, (ICC correct) turns off the headlights when they're on and on when they're off. The same with the running lights. I also doubt that flashing the lights is a legal issue that could result in a lawsuit. I didn't see that either of the two posters representing the truckers made any mention/suggestion that I was wrong about truckers believing they owned the rest stops. There are a lot of jobs in this country that require testing and yearly physicals. Mine required as much testing, but the physicals were every three years.

I'm sorry that I hurt the feelings of a few, but its just like everything else. The trucking industry is no longer a shining example for the public to see. Consequently, the few good drivers are left to defend the industry.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #67

I don't know about it being a legal issue, but any lawyer, worth his weight in greed, could find a way to use it to enlarge his wallet.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #68

Forest River Owners Club
I drove a 18 wheeler for25 years and tried to be nice to rvers. I know that some of the trucker can an a. but most are nice.On the other hand some of the rv drivers are as bad as some of the truck drivers.some of the eng. that you hear runing is the trailer eng or the eng on the back of the cab because they can not run their truck eng over 5 mins because it is the law in lot of states now.they are like us they want to be cool or warm.they have a job to do and need a good night rest so that they will not fall a sleep and run over a rv or someone else .so try to be more understanding.
thanks
t.l.t.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I don't hate truckers......I drove my work vehicle about 35000 miles a year through the Los Angeles County area, one of the most difficult places for a truck driver to manuever. Even in my work vehicle, I made room for trucks to merge and change lanes because I know what its like to drive in that traffic. Most accidents involving large trucks are caused by people in cars cutting them off.

For those that don't know, the SmartWheel, (ICC correct) turns off the headlights when they're on and on when they're off. The same with the running lights. I also doubt that flashing the lights is a legal issue that could result in a lawsuit. I didn't see that either of the two posters representing the truckers made any mention/suggestion that I was wrong about truckers believing they owned the rest stops. There are a lot of jobs in this country that require testing and yearly physicals. Mine required as much testing, but the physicals were every three years.

I'm sorry that I hurt the feelings of a few, but its just like everything else. The trucking industry is no longer a shining example for the public to see. Consequently, the few good drivers are left to defend the industry.
Like it or not, we all live in a very litigious society. Most large corporations have their own legal departments to protect their interests and image. The majority of lawsuits are just settled out of court because actual litigation in court would be much more expensive to the corporation involved. It doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong. What matters is the bottom line and what is the cheapest way out of a bad situation.

I don't believe that truckers own, or otherwise, have any specific claim on the rest stops. However, when I am on the road in a professional capacity I see that road as my workplace. Rest areas included. Like anyone else I like my workplace neat and orderly and I resent it when someone enters my workplace and messes it up. Professional Driving is one of the few professions where the workers are constantly outnumbered by, and at the mercy of the non-professional.

I will agree with you that the experience level of today's Professional Driver is in decline. There are any number of reasons for that. Over regulation of the industry caused many of the old guard to leave and retrain to join other occupations. In the last 20 years, or so, there has been an increased demand for Professional Drivers. This has resulted in CDL Mills that teach the student how to pass the test(s), but don't really teach them how to drive or teach them the associated courtesies that go with the job. You can go on line and find the CDL multiple choice question pools along with all of the answers. The end result is that the student learns all of the answers but has absolutely no concept of the theory behind the answer.

In my own case, I grew up in the industry. My Dad drove, I drove and my younger brother is still out there. So, if I get a little testy when someone speaks about truck drivers in a derogatory manner, please forgive me.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The fact is, truckers cannot be singled out as being "less professional" or "not as courteous" as in the past...because unfortunately that is the way society has evolved. Those of us over 50 or so can remember when society was polite and it was always "After YOU" instead of "ME FIRST!" I wish people would not make broad generalizations about any segment of the population, because that is not fair.

And P.S. I totally agree with truckers having first dibs on available parking in rest areas. They have rules that they must follow as to how many hours to drive, etc. and they are working. Most of us RVers are simply on vacation; they are making a living.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote