Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
thats why they have campgrounds.
times 8

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #72

I've been RV'ing about 30 years now (actually 40 years if you count the tent trailer) and I need to add RV'rs also "have no manners" compared to years ago. I think the blame is the change in society.
Safe Travels
Bob

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #73

Things havent changed. 20 years ago old people were complaining about you
Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #74

They had to complain because they couldn't catch me!!!
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
The fact is, truckers cannot be singled out as being "less professional" or "not as courteous" as in the past...because unfortunately that is the way society has evolved. Those of us over 50 or so can remember when society was polite and it was always "After YOU" instead of "ME FIRST!" I wish people would not make broad generalizations about any segment of the population, because that is not fair.

And P.S. I totally agree with truckers having first dibs on available parking in rest areas. They have rules that they must follow as to how many hours to drive, etc. and they are working. Most of us RVers are simply on vacation; they are making a living.
My sentiments EXACTLY!! Well stated.
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
If parking next to a running truck is your biggest problem you have led a sheltered life. I drove truck for 22 years and I will have to agree that politeness by truck drivers have gone down hill along with much of the rest of our society...take things with a grain of salt. Like one of the other folks said, the drivers are making a living and you are parked there by choice so if you don't like the noise move on.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #77

From my experience I have found the truckers very considerate on the road and in the pull offs. More so than many of the car drivers.
Dave
Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidej M View Post
From my experience I have found the truckers very considerate on the road and in the pull offs. More so than many of the car drivers.
Dave

I might add, I find truckers are very much more considerate than the typical 4 wheel freeway flea.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #79

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVn View Post
IMHO I have the right to stay overnight in a reststop, Flying J, Wallyworld or what ever.
Well, the legislature in several cities, counties and even a state or two might wish to argue with you on that. and as you may have heard "You can't fight city hall" so you WILL loose that argument.. However.. That said, I happen to agree with you provided management of the lot you park in agrees with you.

Another thought on the original post came to me a short time ago...

He is parking among trucks, in the Truck parking lot.

That's kind of like me visiting YOUR house and complaining cause I do not like YOUR taste in music..

Clearly... I have an opiton (Leave) if I don't like your music.

If he does not like the "Music" of the engines running.. He has the same option.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Some of you are praising truck drivers like they're Gods. I've been RVing for 50 years, started out with my parents at 5 years old. In the 60's, 70's, 80's and maybe into some of the 90's. truckers were the Kings of the Road and professional drivers. Now......I certainly don't see that anymore. There may be a few couples teams that are still polite, but not many. A third of the drivers don't even speak English.

I've always driven a reasonable speed, assisted them with lights during a lane change and make room for them to move over when they are being cut off or slowed down by a brain dead driver entering the freeway. Do any of them extend that courtesy now days.......not very often.

When it comes to parking at Rest Areas and other parking spots, they believe those are reserved for them and not RV'ers. They will often tell you how much they pay in over the road taxes and that's why RVers shouldn't park there. In reality, most RVers pay a HIGHER PERCENTAGE in road taxes for the miles driven than most trucks do.

We just completed a 2000 mile trip through Arizona and New Mexico this past week. The truck speeds in those states are 75mph. I don't run my DP that fast and I stay out of the way of the trucks. I conducted an experimnet on this trip. Everytime a truck passed, I assisted them with a flashing of lights (easily done through my SmartWheel). About one out of every 22 flashed back.

Today's trucker is not what they use to be. Sure they move everything around this country....so what.....its probably one of the few jobs most of them are qualified to do.

Do you suppose your route had anything to do with your assessment?

We just drove from Michigan to Florida. Based on your previous generalization, I decided to log my experience with truckers along the 1300 mile (one way) journey.

* Did courtesy flash for 35 truckers. 34 of the 35 passed and flashed his marker/thank you lights. 1 ignored.

* 8 truckers waved, gave the thumbs up or another friendly gesture as they passed.

* Talked to 3 truckers at a Blue Beacon. Nice guys... and guess what, they all spoke english!

Maybe the problem isn't the truckers afterall.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #81

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVn View Post
I guess I chose the wrong word, priviledge would be the proper word. I personally use these private lots only when I drive late and get up early. If this seems a little over the top for for you I am very sorry but I doubt very seriously if we will ever cross paths since this appears to be beneath you. Happy trails friend.
Not "beneath me", we spend a lot of nights in Wal*Marts when going to and from a destination. When we reach a destination we stay in a campground (NOT a KOA!) In fact we're headed out soon for Phoenix and have our first night out planned for a Wal*Mart parking lot.

Rhetorical question: I've been RV'ing since 1957, how about you?

Strange, on the Wal*Mart thread I'm criticized for parking at Wal*Mart when traveling and here I'm criticized because its seen as being "beneath me".
Wish you "guys" would make up your minds which way it is!!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #82

I'm sorry, Phoenix is closed. We are currently trying to burn it down.
(How come houses burn down and cars burn up?)

Wave at a trucker for me on your way.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #83

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On one trip a truck pulled into a rest ares just in front of me, there was one spot remaining, he pulled into it. Then he noticed it was marked as a handicapped RV spot. He pulled out and I pulled in. (Yes, I have handicapped plates and plackard). Had he stayed it would have been no big deal, he needed the rest and I would have gone on and found something else.

At some Wal*Marts they have RV and truck parking spots marked off, I've stayed right between two trucks. They ran their engines but it didn't bother me as all I wanted was some food and sleep, probably the same for them.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #84

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Like it or not, we all live in a very litigious society. Most large corporations have their own legal departments to protect their interests and image. The majority of lawsuits are just settled out of court because actual litigation in court would be much more expensive to the corporation involved. It doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong. What matters is the bottom line and what is the cheapest way out of a bad situation.
Man have I got a story about that but I won't hijack this thread to repeat it.
Lets just say my research showed very clearly (pictures of preexisting conditions) that my employer was right but it was cheaper to cave in than go to court.