Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a much loved brother in law who passed away about a year and a half ago. He worked for a company called Yankee in Saskatoon Saskatchewan and he was working on his third million mile safe driving award. His premature death was devastating to my younger sister, her girls and the whole rest of the family.

Vern was the most conscientious driver I have ever met and he never ever had an accident, at home or at work and I followed some of the crap posted by people on this board topic and really can't believe what some have written. he has relayed some of the problems he had with drivers and how many accidents he was witness to, most caused by drivers who shouldn't be driving.

I have yet in my sixty-six years met a rude trucker and this comes from a member of a family that owned a truck stop in Sault Ste Marie On. for a good portion of our lives. I have witnessed truckers stopped at horrendous accident scenes assisting police and paramedics while Joe Q rubbernecked his way past causing more grief than they were worth.

May the detractors never need the assistance of one of these people they so eagerly trash. All these drivers are doing is attempting to make a living.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #86

After reading this I reached the conclusion that when I pull into a rest area or truck stop everyone should leave so I can have a quiet time.If I ask at wallyworld where to park noone else should park in the same place.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #87

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
I will be traveling this spring, and im sure i will have a trucker pull next to me if i happen to stop to sleep at a rest area. Now i have a hard time sleeping in silence, I normally have a fan and tv on. So when i am at a rest area I would probably sleep better with their engine running. LOL as weird as it sounds. And I would also probably feel a little safer too.

I could never feel upset or frustrated with a truck driver. I give them 2 thumbs up. They have a hard job, well hard to me because I believe it to be hard behind the wheel for many hours. Also they deliver so much goods for us. food being the most important.

I too cannot sleep in silence. I have to have my box fan running at night, not for the air, for the sound. Also have to sleep with a CPAP. So if I did boondock somewhere overnight, I'd have to run the genny to sleep at night.

I sometimes am envious of those who can sleep in deafening silence, but I can't do it.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #88

I'm a light sleeper. Even my min-pins snoring will keep me awake. Never could sleep with a radio on.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #89

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
EelKat, yours is an inspirational story, I would like to welcome you here and wish you the success you deserve.
x2 EelKat
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #90

Thanks guys for all the great advice. I know now that I'm a complete idiot to have written this post. I'm going to address it one last time and then leave it be and you can all keep trashing me as you wish.

1. If any of you would have read the entire post, or even read the whole subject line, you might have seen that it ends with a question mark and not an exclamation mark. This means it's a question and not as most of you have suggested a statement. My post boils down to one question: when parking at a HUGE parking lot with plenty of spece to go around, why do the trucks have to park right next to me? Even now I find it hard to see how this question could upset so many people. And so far only two people have read the post and actually answered the question. One said it might be because they thought this was the designated area to park as I was already parked there and the other suggested I'd try Cracker Barrel for a quieter stay.

2. If you had read the post you would also have seen that I made a comparison with a Flying J. Saying Flying J IS A TRUCKSTOP and that's why i DON'T stay there. It's specifiaclly designed for trucks. As far as I know Walmart is NOT a truckstop, and that RVs and Trucks are EQUALLY welcome. Having said that I've NEVER said that trucks are or should not be allowed to stay at WM. All I asked why was why we had to be parked right next to eachother.

3. I try to treat people with respect and I expect the same in return. That means I try my best to not bother or disturb other people, whether it be truckers, rv:ers or anyone else. For me that means for example I wouldn't park next to someone and keep my generator running. Having read your replies to this it seems like most of you find it soothing to be parked next to an idling diesel truck engine. So maybe the truckers who parked next to me just tried to be nice and give me a better night's sleep? (again with the question mark) I've never stated that truckers have worse manners than anyone else, but the only ones who has disturbed me when I'm on the road are truckers so I ASK, why is this?

4. Some of you suggested that since truckers have a hard job being on the road, they should have other priviligages than other people and more of a right to do what they want at WM than others. Well, my job is being on the road too. I don't have a home, my RV is my home. I might not put in as many hours a day as a trucker does, but my job requires me to be on the road all the time. And don't tell me to get another job, I'm here on a visa that is specific for the work I do and I'm not allowed to say park my rv and work in a diner or something instead. So according to this, my job is worth less than theirs and I should not be entitled to be treated with respect? I know many here RV as a form of vacation but I'm not one of you. Which takes me to the next point...

5. I cant afford to stay in Campgrounds every night, not even a night a week. My option to parking in Walmart is being parked by the side of the road which is often not legal as well as not safe. I wish I could park in CGs every night but I'm happy if I can make ends meet and pay for gas and food. I don't have a nickel over to put in CG stays. I only stay in CGs the times when my battery is about dead and I have no other way to charge it.

6. No I wasn't looking for sympathy, I was looking for an answer to my question, I also wasn't looking to get completely trashed by people not even bothering to read my entire post. This is supposed to be the friendly RV forum... well could have fooled me.

7. You say I should like it or move on. And I have moved on several times - to a different spot in that HUGE parking lot. I just wanted to know why I should have to do that. When there's plenty of space for everyone. You say it's like coming to someone's house and say you don't like the music? Well since when did the trucks own the WM parking lots? i'm just asking. Why can't we all just treat each other with respect and give each other some space?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #91
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofiatalvik View Post
Thanks guys for all the great advice.

Why can't we all just treat each other with respect and give each other some space?
Please consider this take what's posted on any board with a grain of salt none of it's worth being upset about.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Please consider this take what's posted on any board with a grain of salt none of it's worth being upset about.
After 7 pages of being trashed I just felt like I had to make some things clear. That's a lot of salt right there... :(
Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #93

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofiatalvik View Post
After 7 pages of being trashed I just felt like I had to make some things clear. That's a lot of salt right there... :(
Relax.

Everybody apologizes for hurting your feelings.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #94

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Sofia,
As you say you are here on a visa, I see you are not a citizen of this country and do have a problem understanding our values; one of which is STANDING UP for one another!! While FREE is a term meaning without servitude or remuneration it also means give respect and understanding... Which is what we try to do on these forums; well, most of us do!! Some
'truckers' are very uncaring & obnoxious; usually having Confederate battle-flags on their radiators, but even they will stop if they see someone in trouble!!! As others have explained in their comments; most engines HAVE TO RUN for various reasons and that's why there are TRUCK STOP PARKING LOTS!! They aren't doing it to cause you problems.. Ear plugs are a good way to stop extraneous noises...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not "beneath me", we spend a lot of nights in Wal*Marts when going to and from a destination. When we reach a destination we stay in a campground (NOT a KOA!) In fact we're headed out soon for Phoenix and have our first night out planned for a Wal*Mart parking lot.

Rhetorical question: I've been RV'ing since 1957, how about you?

Strange, on the Wal*Mart thread I'm criticized for parking at Wal*Mart when traveling and here I'm criticized because its seen as being "beneath me".
Wish you "guys" would make up your minds which way it is!!
Sorry Mr.D, I started this so I would like to appologize and move on. My original post was meant to emphasize the point that you have a choice to stay or move on if the conditions do not suit you. My point is that we all have the same priviledge of using these overnight stops so we shouldn't think that they would all be to our liking. BTW, I was a mere 9yrs. old in 1957 and all we could afford was a tent. Happy traveling and I hope your trip to Phoenix is pleasurable and by all means be safe.
Being retired means you can put off till tomorrow what you could have done today
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #96

Jayco Owners Club
Sofia, your English is phenomenal. Welcome to the USA.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean
Howdy Sofia,
As you say you are here on a visa, I see you are not a citizen of this country and do have a problem understanding our values; one of which is STANDING UP for one another!! While FREE is a term meaning without servitude or remuneration it also means give respect and understanding... Which is what we try to do on these forums; well, most of us do!! Some
'truckers' are very uncaring & obnoxious; usually having Confederate battle-flags on their radiators, but even they will stop if they see someone in trouble!!! As others have explained in their comments; most engines HAVE TO RUN for various reasons and that's why there are TRUCK STOP PARKING LOTS!! They aren't doing it to cause you problems.. Ear plugs are a good way to stop extraneous noises...
I knew it would bite me in the ass to admit I'm not a citizen. If you too would have bothered to read my post through you'd have seen I'm not questioning truck stops or saying that truckers are evil in any way. I'm just asking why they have to park right next to me. It's unbelievable how you people think its fine to put someone in place without bothering to read the whole story. I have no problem understanding standing up for one another. I have a problem understanding why people can't respect each other. Like I said. There's plenty of space. Thanks for your considerate note.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #98

Monaco Owners Club
Over the years I overnighted several times during my travels in Wal-Marts and FJ. It only happened less than 5 of 10% of the time that truckers parked close to my MH during the night, running their engines of Refer.

Most of the time I've noticed in WM that truckers were arriving late in the evening. I wonder if you've noticed that past 6 or 7 pm, most truck stops and rest areas are full and truckers cannot find a spot to park. You've certainly noticed when you leave early in the morning that you see alongside the Interstates, trucks parked in the entrances or exits of rest areas and also on interstate's, on and off ramps. I guess that there's more and more trucks and not enough parking spots for them.

Over the years I found that most truckers are good mannerred and friendly.