Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I use Garmin Road Trip to route my trip on my computer then download it to my GPSs. That way there is no surprises or dirt roads that I don't want to take. I like to know the route I'm going in advance and use the GPS to give me advance warning of turns, distances involved and time of arrival.
Exactly my thoughts. My only comment is that it isn't always easy to tell of if the type of road has mis-labeled and what that mapping program says is a paved road is really a dirt one. We've only seen that a couple of times. We use Street Atlas, running on a laptop so it is really more of a mapping program than a GPS to start with. I plan the routes and then go to a low level of zoom, tracing each road and turn. It sounds much more tedious than it is. Street Atlas also has a pretty good back on track feature. No matter what I tell in planning (except driving into a place that I marked "route avoid"), the program simply recovers and finds a new way to the destination or next stop. It is THEN that I really have to watch what it does. Decreasing the zoom level to let me look more at the "big picture" seem to help a lot.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #16

All in all it helps a lot. my brain works slow and in traveling I forget exits, roads,turns, you know . Also It stops a lot of fights with the wife. we look at the map
then set the darn thing and off we go.then were both ok if we are lost. I would not be with out one

claude m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:58 AM   #17

I treat mine like Reagan treated the USSR. Trust but verify.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #18

We recently came home to Charlotte from west Arkansas via Atlanta. While traveling down US 78 in Alabama,"Sassy Sally"(as we call the GPS) kept telling us to turn off the beautiful new highway onto the business route! It was really irritating! Luckily,sweet Pammi Sue had Mapquest up on the mobile internet and IT was telling us to keep on the way we were going. Modern technology,yep. Wonderful stuff.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I trust my GPS more than I trust the wife reading a map!

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery man View Post
We recently came home to Charlotte from west Arkansas via Atlanta. While traveling down US 78 in Alabama,"Sassy Sally"(as we call the GPS) kept telling us to turn off the beautiful new highway onto the business route! It was really irritating! Luckily,sweet Pammi Sue had Mapquest up on the mobile internet and IT was telling us to keep on the way we were going. Modern technology,yep. Wonderful stuff.
That sounds like a case of the map in the GPS not being up-to-date - that's not a problem with the technology. We have that problem every so often with our Garmin - the maps are about 4 years old now and we're too cheap to pay the $80 they want to download new maps so we just live with it.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #21

I am on my 3rd GPS. The first 2 are history or to be more exact Trash Can Foder. My latest is a Garmin Nuvi 650. I call it Estella. It claims some cities don't exist, tells me to go East when I should go West. On more than one occasion it has claimed there was an off ramp on a major 4 lane highway (Ontario 401) when there isn't one. It can't find streets in south Texas that have been there longer than I have. It is so bad I researched where the map program came from. It turns out Garmin (& others) buy map info from 'NAVTEQ'. Navteq also supply the map info for 'MAPQUEST' but I suspect Garmin buy outdated & or unverified map data.
I can DL map data from MapQuest to my Garmin Nuvi and have done it but after a while I begin to wonder why bother to use my inacurate Garmin when Mapquest does the job on its own without any hassles?
It is realy infuriating to have the device tell me to take the wrong city bypass on the Interstate and then keep insisting I should follow the 'Recalculating' signals that will take me exactly nowhere. The Nuvi 650 was a very expensive device but it was truly a waste of money.
Garmin is not ready for Prime Time!
Old 04-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Hmmm....I'm pretty "old tech" since I use a Garmin StreetPilot 2620 in my truck and a 2610 on my motorcycle. I can count the times either has mis-routed me over quite a few years on the fingers of one hand. That's as good or better than the factory nav systems in my wife's Toyota Highlander or my Acura 3.2TL-S. No complaints here.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Living in a 'tourist area' there are a lot of rescues done in this area. Tourists get a rental car in Vegas with a GPS and drive up here to the high desert to see Zion or Bryce Canyon national parks. The GPS (all of them) is famous for routing folks out into the desert on jeep trails. During the summer folks have died following the directions a GPS shows them. Most are from Europe or Asia and have little understanding of the dangers of the desert country. It is not ignorance on their part just bad GPS info.
I have a friend on the Utah Highway Patrol that says he has learned to say "You are under arrest" in ten different languages.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 AM   #24

I'm Lost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Hmmm....I'm pretty "old tech" since I use a Garmin StreetPilot 2620 in my truck and a 2610 on my motorcycle. I can count the times either has mis-routed me over quite a few years on the fingers of one hand. That's as good or better than the factory nav systems in my wife's Toyota Highlander or my Acura 3.2TL-S. No complaints here.

Rusty
I truly wish my Garmin was more than a pretty display. When it works it is just great. I have learned not to trust my GPS at all. I expect a GPS to fumble in major reconstruction zones but I just couldn't believe my GPS would insist I need to travel north and then turn around and head south in Harlingen Texas on a stretch of Expressway 77 that has been in place for more than 12 years. I pitty a stranger trying to follow the directions when the GPS takes them right past their starting place everytime they start out on a trip.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Your comments are among the reasons that a number of us Garmin StreetPilot users haven't "upgraded" ( ) to the Garmin Nuvi series.

Rusty
Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Your comments are among the reasons that a number of us Garmin StreetPilot users haven't "upgraded" ( ) to the Garmin Nuvi series.

Rusty
My Garmin Nuvi 255W works great. It came with the 2009 maps. I have used Garmin's website and downloaded a couple software updates including Garmin's new EcoRouting feature that was just introduced.

I also have 1000's of my own RV related POIs on an SD card that the 255W can access.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you're happy with your Nuvi, that's great. Obviously, not everyone is (see posts above).

Rusty
Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I agree with everyone here. I think the GPS is great but... I have learned to check it against other routing software. Setting it up properly is important. Using your head is important too. If it's taking you on some back road, turn around and go back.