Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #29

Triple E Owners Club
On a recent trip our Garmin 250 took us to the Library... the street sign said Library, this way, and so did the Garmin. Then about two miles later the Garmin told us we had reached our destination... It was a quiet spot out in the country.. The Library was actually only 200 feet from the turn and we missed it because we saw the Fire Hall on the opposite side of the road.

On another call, it took us to Albertson's Grocery Store. It was a condo parking lot! The next Albertson's was vacant, but you could see the imprint on the stucco from the removed sign.

After that, I learned to look at my planned route before I trusted the GPS.

Recently I have tried Geocashing, and the Garmin takes me to within ten feet of the hidden cache. All is not lost.

VI Roamer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #30

My GPS also told me twice on different camp sites they were down the road on the left but turned out they were on the right. but still wont leave home without it.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #31

My Garmin Nuvi has a mind of its own, low overheads, non existent exits and wrong way on one way streets. Its all part of an expensive and sometimes useless GPS. The hardest part was being told a whole city (Cambridge ON) didn't exist while displaying the downtown street I was on! Navteq make the maps but the GPS maker provides the software. Emporia Kansas, new traffic circle, stopped because it seemed I was driving into oncoming traffic. Rear-ended, wailing & nashing of teeth, GPS didn't even know it was there. The GPS is a help but I simply don't trust it!
Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #32
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been using this GPS for a few years now.
Only trouble I find is me when she says turn I sometimes turn after the correct turn and travel down the wrong side of a river road or wind up in dead end and have to unhook a pop-up we are pulling to get out of the dead end.

Still gets us to destinations and its getting as old as I am.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #33

Hey people. You are not buying the $10,000.00 military version that is accurate to +/- 2 feet. You are buying the $200.00 civilian version that is accurate to +/- 10 feet. So occasionally the 10 foot error puts you on the wrong side of the road. Add in for the knuckle draggers that plotted the road locations on the map in the first place and you will occasionally get great big whopping errors. It is still way better than trying to unfold a 5 foot map while cruising down the interstate. It also doesn't get distracted by a pretty girl while watching for the exit number BTW it is pretty good at reading street names in the dark too. I would get one just for the last reason if I didn't already have one.
Glen41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I just have two big road atlases that have high detail maps of ALL the roads (Including the US forestry service roads). So far, I've got one for Oregon and one for Washington (Took for ever to find one by the same company without having to order it online).

If you were to take the pages out and assemble them you'd need a Gym floor to make the map.

There's a nice index on the back of the book that tells what pages a chunk of the state are on.

Wouldn't mind a nice GPS as a secondary, but what is really needed is a map database similar to the google maps system where people can log coordinates and what not as well. Updates for free
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think you have to use some common sense with a GPS. I use one for both work and pleasure. I will always check what the GPS is telling me against written directions that I have received. One of the best uses I have found for GPS, was when I broke down with the semi one night on I-8 about 10 miles from Gila Bend,AZ and was able to get a phone number from the GPS to repair facility in Gila Bend. My dispatcher only had a number for repair shop out of Phoenix. Saved me a lot of time and money that night.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #36

My wife Dawn had GPS on her cell phone it was ok but it did not recalculate.

So when we were in Chattanooga Tn. this past April bought a Garmin at wal-mart we we really like it. So far it has been good takes us where we want to go.But we do not put all our trust in it.
2005 Cardinal 35CKT,2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke,CC,4x4,5" Dual exhaust,Hypertech powerchip 111 stage,Firestone Airbags,25K Airsafe Hitch,125cc Yamaha scooter,250cc Lance Scooter.Basset Hound (Shorty).
Charles & Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #37

Planning my route to the rally, I used mapquest and printed a copy. Actually driving, I watched my GPS routing. Driving W on I 70 everything was fine, until my GPS tried to route me onto I670 to the Columbus airport, then onto OH 335 N. Must have been the shortest route instead of the fastest. I had checked mapquest with my Motor Carrier's Road Atlas to verify accuracy. My conclusion_ a GPS is handy, but only if you already know the the route is accurate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #38

I have the Delorme Street Atlas 2009 running on my netbook. I like it. The 3-D view doesn't work because of the slower processor. Nice big 10 inch screen and it is a bit more powerful than most GPS units. It's a little unweildy, but I'm slowly going through the online training guide and it is showing me how to tell the computer to do what I want.

I have still had it:
Tell me the interstate exit was a left instead of a right (which I knew it to be).
Recalculate my route, even though I had followed the directions it gave me
Tell me to go wrong way onto a one way street

I simply ignore it when it is being dumb to me. Of course, that is because I have already studied that atlas. If I don't agree with its calculated route, I force it to change. Right now, i have it set to avoid State Roads, forest roads, one way streets, small roads. Basically, anything that is not a major highway. This keeps me to the interstates.

I have lost all faith in Mapquest after it dropped me on a goat path in the middle of nowhere.

I switched to google maps which was VERY nice for a while, until I had it also drop me in the middle of nowhere while towing a Uhaul trailer. I was not happy about that one.

So, that's when I went out and decided on the Delorme software for the computer. For a few dollars more, it came with the GPS device. Since I already had the Netbook, I decided to just make it my GPS. Total cost: 80 bucks. Saved myself some money over a navigation system.

I will take my first trip tomorrow with it as my main navigational tool. We'll see how it goes. It is a trip I am already familiar with, so I'll be able to get a feel for how well it actually performs.

Anyone else out there with the laptop version instead of the GPS?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone used Microsoft Streets & Trips with a GPS?

I just bought the 2009 edition and hooked my Garmin Legend up to it with my home PC and the interface seems to work ok, but not sure how it's going to work in the MH with a lap top?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRVer View Post
I have the Delorme Street Atlas 2009 running on my netbook. I like it. The 3-D view doesn't work because of the slower processor. Nice big 10 inch screen and it is a bit more powerful than most GPS units. It's a little unweildy, but I'm slowly going through the online training guide and it is showing me how to tell the computer to do what I want.

I have still had it:
Tell me the interstate exit was a left instead of a right (which I knew it to be).
Recalculate my route, even though I had followed the directions it gave me
Tell me to go wrong way onto a one way street

I simply ignore it when it is being dumb to me. Of course, that is because I have already studied that atlas. If I don't agree with its calculated route, I force it to change. Right now, i have it set to avoid State Roads, forest roads, one way streets, small roads. Basically, anything that is not a major highway. This keeps me to the interstates.

I have lost all faith in Mapquest after it dropped me on a goat path in the middle of nowhere.

I switched to google maps which was VERY nice for a while, until I had it also drop me in the middle of nowhere while towing a Uhaul trailer. I was not happy about that one.

So, that's when I went out and decided on the Delorme software for the computer. For a few dollars more, it came with the GPS device. Since I already had the Netbook, I decided to just make it my GPS. Total cost: 80 bucks. Saved myself some money over a navigation system.

I will take my first trip tomorrow with it as my main navigational tool. We'll see how it goes. It is a trip I am already familiar with, so I'll be able to get a feel for how well it actually performs.

Anyone else out there with the laptop version instead of the GPS?
Glad your Delorme is working for you. i had an early version and it was simply awkward to use. My navigator dropped it and my laptop in the map box and just used paper maps instead. Most of the mapping programs are from Navteq including Mapquest. This means the same faults are repeated over & over no matter whos name is on the GPS. Like you, I don't trust anything on the display. Have been sent the wrong way to many times!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Remember folks the GPS maps are made by humans and humans make mistakes. The maps were not made on the groung they were done by Photogrammetric methods on a stereo plotter from photographs and most of the maps many years ago. The paper maps produced accuracy of plus or minus 40' now add the 5 meter cof the present GPS unit and you can see where I am going. Most of the time the maps are much much better. Now add to this routing where again a human must code dirrection on millions of lines and again you can see where I am going. Off the beaten path plotting is less accurate and even sometime in newer and high use areas but for the most part the GPS units and thier maps are wonderful added to the navigation we already know. Remember every pice of data IE; store gas station what ever must be coded and for instance for US RVers RV parks who gets the data for the coding possibly the owner and what does he use to get this data. So all in all I'll keep trusting my 365wt but with a grain of salt. Now to the geocaching because the geocachs are placed with the gps system one would expect the accuracy to be as good as the person and sky view and costolation at the times of plotting so it shoujld be better than the map getting you to the geocash location.
OH just for funs, this was my job before retirement and the first gps unit(portable) I saw operate was in 1984 was in a one ton van had an antana about 36"x36" and looked like something from space. The gps unit itself was the size of 10-20 desktop computers of today and it took 2 hours to get a location and was stationary only.

LEN