Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #1

Try Searching

Is it just me or do other people find it annoying when you get a reply to your question that is along the lines of, "did you try searching?" or "there are a number of good posts on this topic, try searching".

I personally find it an insult when someone immediately assumes that you didn't try to search already. If I found my way to irv2.com in the first place I obviously know how to find information on the internet.

Irv2 isn't plastered on every billboard on the way to and from work. How do you think I found this site in the first place???

I think it is far more polite and makes for a better community when people offer something more meaningful than, "try google." It goes without saying that if everyone answered questions in that manner there would not be much of a forum to search.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rshackleford,
I have a different view. I find way too many posts where the author could not have possibly done an iRV2 or Google search. Why do I feel this way? Because that is what I had to do to find the author the answer to their question(s)! Sometimes I'll reply with the link. Sometimes the search was so simple that I'll reply with the suggestion the author do a search on "XXXXXXX" and they will find their answer.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
This was such a hot topic on RV.net a few months ago that it actually changed the way folks do business! Thread's closed now, but it really did make a difference.

Consensus over there seemed to be that it's rude to just tell folks to "do a search!" without offering at least one helpful suggestion or link...one rarely sees such stand-alone answers there any more.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

Wow, that thread does have some interesting comments.
I find that most posts are not definitive, they are opinions, not facts. So a search rarely returns a black and white definite answer, therefore a littler dialog helps with the understanding.
I will add that i spend a lot of time on forums and irv2 generally has a very low frequency of, did you search, replies.
This forum is one of the best for finding good info and has the best community.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
If I want dry definitions, I will search.

If I want interactive responses from people who have "Been there..Done that" I will ask the forum.

Responding to a post with "try a search" is NO help at all, except to help that people feel superior.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #6

I will either provide a link or provide the specific words to search on in "..." because I know the thread name.

If that upsets them, I give up.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is rarely a question or problem that hasn't already been posted. I always search first (google search of this forum, link at top of every page). Some posters with great info and knowledge will not respond to every post or they are no longer a member of this site. Check how many times posts on tires, tire pressure, tire monitors, oil and filters, Norcolds, etc. have been asked and answered (and beat to death).

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Post away! If you get the "Google It" response give it the same effort as the guy who wasted the bits to write it.

Dick
Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #9

Just Curious

I've been on many forums and fairly new here so had a couple of questions.

1. Is "go look it up" an acceptable answer to a question here?
2. Is "we've talked about that a hundred times" an acceptable answer here?
3. Is "I told you so" an acceptable response here?

The reason I ask, seems to me these forums are here to answer people's questions and enlighten people. Not slam the door on them and not make them look stupid.

I know of other forums there the questions I asked above are not only acceptable, but are the norm.
VetRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #10

I always have done quite a bit of research prior to posting including reading threads on this site as well as others. When i post it its because my specific question wasn't answered, our I have a different opinion and want to discuss it, or i just have been searching using the wrong set of key words.
In all those cases, a specific link or a suggestion to try a different set of keywords is very helpful. The reply of, try searching, is not.
I generally try to give my fellow community members the benefit of the doubt and assume that if they have a device that allows them access to this forum, they probably know about Google, so suggesting that they search is an insult to them and a waste of my time.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #11

VetRVer.... I will help answer your curiosity. On this forum it would be most appropriate not to answer than be contrite. We strive to be polite and responsive to any concerned query. Many of the forum users struggle to put into words the issues that they are having with their rigs and if we can give support and direction in a positive nature these RVers will return that kind of attention when addressed. With that stated...there are those who answer in a demeaning manner and offer less than reinforced response... YUCK!
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetRVer View Post

The reason I ask, seems to me these forums are here to answer people's questions and enlighten people. Not slam the door on them and not make them look stupid.

I know of other forums there the questions I asked above are not only acceptable, but are the norm.
Don't judge this (or any information sharing forum) by the words of a few. Some folks are just rude when they get on a keyboard.

As for me, when a question is asked that has already been discussed, I will post the link where the topic was discussed.

If you have a question, ask away. Someone will jump in and help you out.

Just my $2.00 (used to be $02, but I am now allowing for inflation).

Jim
Old 07-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:

Generally, forum members here will assume that you have already tried to look it up and failed. I have noticed that many here will repeat answers to commonly asked questions AND provide a link to past threads on the topic. This is not as common on other forums I am a member of.
Quote:
You will get that answer sometimes, along with links and a readers-digest version rehash of the topic. I've never seen anyone here be rude about it.
Quote:
If the shoe fits....
Quote:
Only YOU can make you look stupid. The above can be avoided by doing a little research ahead of time on your topic, and following the advice of those more enlightened than you.
Quote:
I know. Isn't it refreshing to have adult conversations with adults who behave like adults? I have, more than once, asked a question that I know must have already been asked and answered here. Never have I been made to feel stupid for asking. Sometimes time is of the essence, and its faster to just ask than spend hours reading. It's nice to know you won't be handed your head for doing so.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My first instinct was to reply "We've already talked about this a hundred times, go look it up.", but I couldn't bring myself to do so.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote