Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #1

Trying to help my brother.

OK ... as I'm typing this, it sounds pathetic, even to me! BUT it's ALL real ... if my brother didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have ANY luck. TRUTH ... his car stalled on train tracks some years ago, he was hit by an oncoming train and he lived to tell about it!

Can people give me some outside of the box jobs that an unemployed manufacturing line person can do?

My brother, Paul C., age 51, has been out of work for almost 2 years. He was born with a problem with his leg and is somewhat handicapped, (as in standing for 3 - 4 hours, out of the question), and does NOT collect disability. His wife has SEVERE vision problems and he has to drive her to work and pick her up from work. Why she doesn't take the bus? I don't know. Blind people take the bus and subway train.

He was working security guard type work after getting layed off. It seems even that has gone away. Paul does NOT know how to work a computer ... at all. What DOES he know? I can't really say ... as he explained it to me ... all he was required to do was to 'hit the green button'.

Hopefully, someone out there has some creative suggestions I can pass on to help him in his job search. Thanks everyone!

Mariel & Joe W
24' Eclipse Attitude, '97 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins diesel, with TWO AWESOME kids of the 4 legged variety ... Kong (Yellow Lab) and Coco Chanel (German Shephard Mix)
marielw824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
One of the manufacturing positions that requires limited or provided education is electronic assembly. It is usually preformed sitting down working at a bench. Most jobs do not pay well, $9-14/hour but usually include benefits. These types of jobs are located in specific pockets of the country. You may want to do a search for electronic assembly jobs.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks!

I hadn't thought of electronic assembly. I googled such jobs in Massachusetts .... all over and a lot came up. Great suggestion. Thanks again. Mariel
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #4

Have you checked with any of your local charitable organizations such as Good Will, Salvation Army or like types? Quite often they hire handicapped persons, of course pay isn't all that great. Also Here in Las Vegas, I've noticed where Lowe's have some handicapped persons on their payroll.

Hopefully your brother will find some relief from his unemployment in the near future.

Best regards and God Bless.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mariel,
We live in different parts of the USA, so I don't know if these suggestions will work for you.

1. Delivery driver (my state does not require a CDL for a car or van size vehicle.
2. If he can get a CDL, school bus driver, or a delivery driver (larger vehicle than #1.)
3. Home pest control (here we call them the bug man).
4. Delivering newspapers, penny saver, etc.
5. Repair/maintenance of appliances (lawn mower, snow thrower, refrigerator, dishwasher, etc). Work a deal with the employer for training.
6. Repair/maintenance of HVAC systems (not installations, just repair/maintenance).

Wish him good luck for me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #6

Great suggestions

OK ... didn't remember your name ... but DRIVER .... pizza delivery driver! That's definitely a possiblity. My brother and I WILL be having a discussion later this week. I hope he is open to these options. Thanks again! Mariel
Old 12-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
5 years ago my kid brother (31 years old) found himself unemployed. He's not handicapped, but definitely under-educated and without many marketable skills. He took a part-time gig delivering pizzas for Domino's. He worked hard, worked his way up, and currently owns his own Domino's franchise.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #8

Big Dan ... that is AWESOME for your brother! I told my Hubby about your post ... he looked at me and said ... "that is NOT Paul .... he will never get his own franchise". I have to agree ... Paul wants to work ... but that's all. He is Archie Bunker in a world that left Archie Bunker in the dust MANY DECADES ago ....

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have an "employment commission?" One that everyone goes to to register for jobs? They usually will test an individual and then notify them when positions come available. It is up to the individual to make an appointment with the organizations/firm hiring and present them with their resume.

Is he a veteran? There are many veteran organizations that hire the physically challenged. As stated, there are charitable organizations that hire the physically challenged. They pay may not be the best, but it is better than nothing.

If he is unemployable by definition, why is he not drawing a compensation from the State?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote