Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #15

I used TT again this year and I e-filed with no surprise additional fees. I get the program through Boeing Employees' Credit Union. It was $23.95. The only extra fee mentioned was if you wanted to sign up for their "hand holding" if you got audited.

The program remembers your last filing and saves a bunch of data from it. I got the refund by direct deposit within a week of filing. No complaints about TT from me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #16

Triple E Owners Club
I have used TT for many years. I do have fairly simple finances so I doubt my taxes could be any lower or higher using other methods (legal anyway). I buy it at Costco in or around Jan when they usually offer the discount coupon. As to their pricing I have never seen any bait and switch.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used TT's web service this year and paid nothing, that included a free e-file. My taxes are simple, so I was able to use the 1040ez form. I choose not to use their forms for CA state taxes, there is a free state site for that. Total for fed and state, 0, nada, nothing.

Looking at TT's site there are 4 levels for personal DIY tax forms.

1st) 1040ez............................................ ......Free, plus $39.95 for state
2nd) Standard long form with no investments....$49.95 plus $39.95 for state
3rd) Standard form plus investments................$74.95 plus $39.95 for state
4th) Standard form plus small business.............$99.95 plus $39.95 for state

The way they get you is you start your taxes for free. Then as you fill out the forms, the more forms you fill out, the more it costs when your done.
As far as I know it's a legal way to get around the bait & switch laws.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #18

Been using TT for years and i'm a satisfied customer. Bought the deluxe version this year because we started a small business. It guided me through every step of the process. I use the online version and it saves my information from year to year. It cannot get any simpler. I knew my costs up front and was not surprised at the end. Yes, the "basic" federal return is free, but once you started getting into other forms and a state return, the cost goes up. You get what you pay for, and I've been more than happy with it. It sure beats paying someone $200+ to do your taxes, and from what I've experienced, they won't find any more deductions than I can. My refund was deposited in my bank account within 14 days.
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
The cost at Turbo Tax depends on how & what state you file in. Did my son's 1040EZ using turbotax on line - Free Federal & Free NY State e-filing...

Mine is a little more complex - I use Free Tax USA - Free Federal & $9.95 for NYS.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I switched to TAXACT two years ago for the same reason. It is the cheapest one I have found.
I've been using TaxAct for several years but since H&R Bockhead bought them, they have gone down hill. I had problems with the 2010 tax year program not being able to update itself and had to manually update it myself. Not a problem but annoying.

I had a more serious problem with the 2011 tax year program. When doing my State taxes, the instructions on one line instructed me to enter my Social Security income. I did and the total tax was dramatically lower than it was the previous year when my total income was lower becasue I didn't have the Social Security income yet. What the...heck?! I checked the actual State directions and found out that it should have been taxable Social Security (all of mine was tax exempt in 2011). BIG difference! It's a good thing I'm paranoid (not to mention being from Missouri) and check things closely.

A less serious, but equally annoying, problem was when running the programs alert feature (checks for potential mistakes), it kept red flagging that I hadn't specified a country for out of country income. What out of country income? All my 1099s originated in the good, ole U.S. of A. for income from the same. It didn't affect my tax or my return but it was as annoying as a gnat buzzing in my ear and I had to waste time checking yet again to make sure everything on the final return was kosher.

Another problem was trying to get a simple answer to whether the version I had was the final version (they usually have one or more updates after the first of the year). Until I got ugly and raised a ruction, the answers I was getting back had nothing to do with the question I asked. I suspect their tech "help" has been outsourced to India.

Frankly, if it wasn't for needing the software to file electronically, it would have been faster to have downloaded the PDF forms, fill them in manuyally, print them, and mail them in. I just don't like sensitive information going through snail mail, not to mention checks. I especially wanted to get the Federal tax return done before the bickering children in Washington decided to let the government run out of money before I got my refund (they came close).

I'll continue to use TaxAct but but only because it isn't as bad as the others.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Ed,
I'm surprised that you would "lose" everything..... .
Wayne: Yes, you are correct about the online version "saving" all your data each time you log out. When you next log in, it is all still there...but unless you pay their price and file thru them, what good is it. My comment was in reference to the fact that if you do not pay their "switched" price (which I did) you will need to use some other method to prepare your return, and therefore you LOSE all the effort put into their online service.

My claim of "bait and switch" is simple and true, IMO. When I started the online process, I chose the $29.95 Deluxe (Federal only) version being offered on their site. When I finally finished the process, admittedly several weeks later, they apparently were no longer "offering" that price and my only choice was to pay the higher price or go another route. I chose to pay the higher price rather than lose all my efforts, but think they should have honored the price I originally chose. They didn't. End of story.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've used TT Dx for years. With a home business & investment portfolios with stocks, bonds, MF's & LP's in it that we drew small bits from to make the coach payments for the past years, being able to download all the dividends, sales & charges right from the financial institution to TT & have all the forms filled in in the right places is a godsend. There's no way I could keep track of all that on my own & it does cost way less than a tax accountant or lawyer. I've been very happy w/TT.

It is a shame they've got what appears to be a bait n switch sales practice. What you get charged is probably is some small print somewhere, if only one knew where to look to find it.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We've used TT Dx for years. With a home business & investment portfolios with stocks, bonds, MF's & LP's in it that we drew small bits from to make the coach payments for the past years, being able to download all the dividends, sales & charges right from the financial institution to TT & have all the forms filled in in the right places is a godsend. There's no way I could keep track of all that on my own & it does cost way less than a tax accountant or lawyer. I've been very happy w/TT.

It is a shame they've got what appears to be a bait n switch sales practice. What you get charged is probably is some small print somewhere, if only one knew where to look to find it.

Lori-
OP admits he got a special price, but didn't finish till several weeks later and the price had changed in the meantime. No bait and switch there, he just missed the low price and had to pay more or lose his input
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Was there an * or the famous "small print" disclaimer somewhere stating the $29.95 price was only for a specific timeframe, either overall or once started it must be completed & filed in a set time? If not, then I still say bait n switch.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our CPA called today and the tax return is ready. Just for grins, I bought Turbo Tax and spent several hours entering "stuff". I got my number. Sent the same info to our CPA and she saved us over a thousand dollars over what TT calculated. Seems TT doesn't know exactly how to deal with farm expenses and some depreciation expenses.

A big benefit for us is if the IRS ever has any questions our CPA deals with them at no expense to us.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used the H&R (Taxcut) as I have for years. I got ticked at TurboTax years ago due to their price ploys.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Our CPA called today and the tax return is ready. Just for grins, I bought Turbo Tax and spent several hours entering "stuff". I got my number. Sent the same info to our CPA and she saved us over a thousand dollars over what TT calculated. Seems TT doesn't know exactly how to deal with farm expenses and some depreciation expenses.

A big benefit for us is if the IRS ever has any questions our CPA deals with them at no expense to us.
More than $5k savings for us over TT. But it depends... I have a complex return and did a lot of consulting last year.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Was there an * or the famous "small print" disclaimer somewhere stating the $29.95 price was only for a specific timeframe, either overall or once started it must be completed & filed in a set time? If not, then I still say bait n switch.

Lori-
Lori: If there was any qualifer on the original price it was not made very obvious. I never saw anything about limited time offer. So, thanks for agreeing with me......

When the higher price was displayed at "checkout" aka "pay, print & file" I paused and searched high and low for an explaination. I looked in FAQs, "customer support", etc. All I found were many, many, posted questions and angry rants from others who found themselves in the same boat as me. I saw only one "answer" from TT, and it claimed there had been a price increase on 3-24-12.

I posted this thread as a notice/warning to others. I did not plan on having to make multiple additional posts explaining this issue over and over. Those who continue to believe TT is innocent of my charges can continue to use them, as I had done for years. If I had just bought the disk at a retailer as I've done in past years, none of this would have happened to me. I should have known it was too good to be true.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote