Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Two colored Pie....

As far back as I believe I can remember my mother would make chocolate pie with whipped egg topping on it and they were to die for. Me and Poppa loved these pies and mom always made two of them because one was just not enough for Poppa and me. We would go in to supper and when we finished eating mom would break out one of the ''Two colored Pie'' from the warming closet over the wood stove that she cooked on. She would set one on the table and Poppa would take the pie knife and carefully dissect the pie with the skill of a surgeon . He would carefully put the pie slices for me and him on saucers always being careful to give me just a little more pie than he got. We would then decide exactly ''who's Two colored Pie'' was being eaten and ''Whom'' still had a pie in the warm closet over the stove top. This was accompanied with much blustering, fork waving, gesturing, mean looks over your pie on your fork and the occasional offer of a fist fight out in the back yard to see who ''owned the other Two colored Pie'' still in the warming closet over the stove. It was all in good fun and we would play it to the hilt and finally Mom would get tired of the jousting and simply say that she was going to take the ''extra pie'' over to the neighbors and give away if we did not shut up. My Poppa and I were best friends and he loved me as I loved him but when it came to ''Two colored Pie'' it was every man for himself....
Time passed and grew up and I joined the Navy and Mom would always make my favorites when I came home on a pass or on leave. Yep, fried chicken, creamy mashed potatoes, boiled okra, gravy, green beans and real home made biscuit with gravy to go on them and ''Two colored Pie'' for dessert. Poppa would say,,,,,''Well sailor, it is a shame that we only have one Pie but I will see that you get a slice after I eat all I want.'' Mom would grin that knowing grin and eyeball the oven.
Mom taught Linda to make ''Two colored Pie'' when we got married but they just were not the same as mom could make …..... Mom never measured anything. Just a pinch of this and a hand full of that and a splash of milk and a couple of eggs and a dash of something else and you had a ''Two colored Pie''.... Life was good and we would invite Mom and Poppa down to our house for supper and the ritual of the ''slicing'' was reversed and the same argument as to who's pie was being eaten and whom still had one for later …...

My poppas heart stopped on him when he was 76. He simply sat down in his recliner and God came and got him and took him to heaven. It was simple as that. My world fell in on me. I seen to my Mothers needs and assured her that she would never want for anything so long as I lived. Time moved slowly and Mom had it really rough for a time. Eventually things got a little better, if you can call it that, and we resumed some sort of life without Poppa. We only lived about a mile from Mom and we were on speed dial so we could be there at a moments notice. Mom was never the same after Poppa died. The sparkle had gone from her eyes and she just seemed to put one day after the next for no particular purpose. She would invite us up for dinner and we would do the same for her. One day we went up for Sunday dinner and she seemed very happy. We had the usual Sunday feast and after the meal she brought a covered dish to the table and sat it in front of me.
''This is something you have not had in a long time I am sure so I fixed this especially for you''
I lifted the lid and there was a ''Two colored Pie''. I just looked at it but I could not touch it.
''Go ahead and cut it and enjoy it,,,,,, I am sure your Daddy would want you to do this in remembrance of him.''
I just sat there like a stone statue with a thousand memories flooding back to my mind. Tears rolled down my cheeks but I simply could not touch that pie. Mom kissed me on the cheek and said she would wrap it up so we could take it home with us.
The pie sat in our refrigerator until it finally went bad and was thrown out and it was still un-cut. Mom never cooked another one and Linda would not cook a ''Two colored pie'' because she knew how it would upset me.
Mom died of cancer one year and one month later and Linda died in October of 03. I met and finally married My Willa in 06 and she made me a ''Two colored Pie'' from a recipe that Linda had written down in the back page of her cook book.
It was my first one in over ten years and sometimes I still have trouble eating the pie without memories flooding back and tears flowing.
Silly as it may seem, I can still see me and Poppa eating pie and arguing about who's pie is getting gone and whom still has a ''Two colored Pie''' in the warming closet above the old wood stove.

Such was the life of a small boy that grew into a man that still loves ''Two colored Pie'' and can finally eat it now....

Parents mold the future generation with love, spankings, gifts, advise and ''Two colored Pie'' if you are lucky..........
Nuff said for now I guess.....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Man o Man Seajay! Your stories sometimes hit close to home. Keep on writing, I enjoy every one of them!! Dennis.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Great story Seajay. You lived the American Dream. Many would be envious of the family life you enjoyed.

I remember growing up in a neighborhood where neighbors knew each other, values guided your life, dinner was served at the table not in front of the TV. Long before computers, video games, texting and a myriad of other distractions that keep family members in different rooms.

I remember dad bringing home our first TV set, what a big day that was. One TV in the living room and dad was the only one that was allowed to "monkey" with it as mom or I would likely "knock it out of kelter".

Life seems so much better in those days. Dad gave you your work ethic and mom gave you compassion. I have so many fond memories growing up in those times.

Dad worked, mom stayed at home. She was always there when I got home from school (after walking 2 miles up hill in both directions). I would do my homework and my chores then outside to play. One of my proudest days was when my wife no longer had to work and could stay home, not that she doesn't work hard at home, I am the envy of every husband I know, DW does all the lawn work and at least a 1/3 of the remodeling.

Dad has been gone for sometime, mom is still with us. Bought mom a house close to us, so we can be there for her, like you did for your mom.

I think this is part of what drew me to RV'ing. Everyone is together enjoying life at a much slower pace. Time to talk to each other face to face, not on Facebook or Twitter no need to text each other everyone is right there.nDon't get me wrong I'm all for technology and the advances we have made as long as we realize life doesn't revolve around them.

Just late night ramblings.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That whipped egg topping (You whip egg whites with some sugar) is called Merrainge by the way... I've made it many times.

Lots of "Snow" to top a pie or better yet baked Alaska with and not much cost though it does take time.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

I just love to read about your life Seajay. Keep the stories coming.

Linda
LinCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #6

Where I come from, the toppings is called "calf slobber".
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DANG! How did my keyboard get all wet?!?

Seajay, keep telling your stories. They help us to keep "life" in focus in this totally unfocused world.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Down for the count

SeaJay
Ya got me again, I'm down for the count.
Life back when we were small was good, no great, back then we didn't think much of it, but today we all wish we could go back-if only for a short time.
I went back to be with my wonderful Mom a week before she went to be with the Lord, we talked about fishing and my using all her good forks and spoons to dig in the yard, she talked about how I almost drowned after she told me not to swim in the pond.
Mom left us a week after I got home, both of my sisters were mad at me because I didn't come back for the funeral, but like I told them I got to hug her and travel that wonderful road of life, while she was alive, which meant more to me than any darned old funeral.

Seajay Keep on keeping on old friend, don't ever stop writing.
Larry and Rita
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Seajay---what a wonderful story--It brought back memories as my Mom used to make the same pie. She is in a nursing home now so all I have are the memories because as much as I have tried I can never make it like she used to. Thank you so much for your great stories. I really enjoy reading them and please keep them coming.

Pat
Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you seajay

Now I have to change my shirt - it's wet with tears. I sure miss my Mom and Dad as well. Sometimes we need a reminder of how great our life has been. We were both real lucky guys to have great loving parents. So many have not been as lucky as us. Having been in the military, I had deployments into some very sad situations in this world. I have seen real sadness, hunger, and pain. We are truly blessed to have had such a wonderful upbringing. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks again Seajay. Amazing what memories "pie" will bring. Our family pie was lemon merrainge. Mother could sometimes be convinced to fix one for us. I am the baby of the family, my sister a year older, and brother still another year. If we had convinced mother to make the pie, we would get to grate the lemon peels. What an odd ingredient to use to make such a wonderful pie. After grating enough peels, we would get to keep the lemons. We would slice in half and each get a saucer with sugar on it (y'all remember sugar don't you). And take out to the country road in front of the farm and settle into the bushes on the shady side of the road and dip that lemon half into the sugar and lick. Oh my it was so good. I can taste it now.

And speaking of tasting now, tomorrow is my mom's 92nd birthday and I just spoke with sister and she said they are going to Turnersville to the volunteer fire department for some barbeque. Fundraiser to help with the expenses of fighting wild fires this season in Texas. I was just going to call Mom and wish her a happy birthday tomorrow but the thought of a lemon merrainge pie has changed my mind. Turnersville is the old farming community where I lived until almost 8 years old on a farm that my dad's mom and dad owned and it will always be the place I call home. It is about a two hour drive for me to get there. I believe I will drive up tomorrow morning and eat some barbeque and visit with old people I still know and hug the neck of my mom and sister.

See what you did Seajay! thank you so much for the pie story.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #12

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Mom's 91 and Dad has been gone almost 25 years. My Mom's 2 colored pie was to die for as was her Lemon pie. We were lucky as kids to live in the Arkansas country side. Your stories bring back such tender memories and some feelings of guilt for my shortcomings.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #13

Great post chocolate pie was a favorite when I was a kid. I also liked coconut pie but didn't like coconut. My grandmother would make me one without the coconut. I still have the old pie safe which now serves as a china cabinet.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Great post Seajay, as usual.
I was going to send you PM, but the link is missing.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote