Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #43

Google maps uses automated cars for years. In over 5 million miles, they only had one accident and it was due to the human in the other car.

Self driving cars are the future and we're all better for it.

No need to waste time fighting it. Embrace it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #44

The median the victim stepped out of is heavily planted with trees and shrubbery. A person waiting there would not be visible to oncoming traffic.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
The NTSB has been on scene today taking pictures and measurements.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm dead set against self driving cars. How many times do you see a situation where you know a self driving car won't spot it.

A ball headed for the street with a little child chasing it.

A car coming towards an intersection at a fast rate of speed and you know it is going to run the red light.

My question is in this case where the lady was killed....who is responsible? I think you are going to see a bunch of finger pointing.
180 % opposite ...... there are SO MANY crappy drivers out there that SD has to be an improvement.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #47

In one news article that I read this morning the police have stated that Uber is not at fault. They did not say who was at fault.

For sake of argument assume that Uber updates their software so this never happens again. That implies there was a software bug (error). Should the programmers and testers that allowed the bug to get through be held liable?

As a retired programmer I have been waiting for the first fatality. I thought it would be another year or two.

I never tested with LIVE data.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:48 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
There WAS a human in the Uber car......a SAFETY DRIVER

Granted ......women was 'jay-walking' it was night time BUT NO SKID marks by 'autonomous OR Safety Driver'

Same thing happens with drivers, no skid marks. That's what crosswalks are for. Drivers expect to see pedestrians in them. Drivers are not looking for someone walking across the street at night where they are not supposed to.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
The median the victim stepped out of is heavily planted with trees and shrubbery. A person waiting there would not be visible to oncoming traffic.
THAT'S IT!!! I demand that all heavily planted medians with trees and shrubbery be immediately removed and destroyed!

Old 03-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Old 03-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #51

Whether or not your for or against autonomous driving vehicles, the sad but tragic fact is a pedestrian was struck and killed by a vehicle while crossing a roadway, not at a crosswalk or intersection at night. Those who are automatically placing blame on the Uber car, and saying this tragic event could have been avoided if the car were driven by a human driver appear to be doing so without knowing all the facts.

I haven't heard if the distance between the pedestrian and the vehicle were know at the time of the accident. But a "typical" car going 40 mph travels 58 feet per second. It will travel 59 feet during the time it takes the human driver to "see" a problem and react (in this case apply the brakes) then travel another 80 feet to stop. And this is under optimal conditions. Hopefully, the Uber car's sensors can and did react quicker. If a problem is found, maybe a better solution will be found too.

No matter the final results of the completed investigation, the pedestrian's family and the "safety driver's" lives have, unfortunately, been forever changed.

Mike H
Old 03-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
According to the information available the Police do not think the accident could be avoided. They have dashcam video. Here is a link:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03...n-fatal-crash/

Note the illogical thinking at the end of the article...
FTFY

How could the car have done anything to anticipate the actions of a woman hidden in the shadows?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:43 AM   #53

Off hand I think the Uber car probably could have seen her if she was not also hiding in the bushes, The car radar or ultrasonic sensing is better than human optics. Optical was not an option until she stepped out. That is why I find it illogical to try to blame the car. All systems have limits. The cars are better than a humans now and may get a bit better but there are many factors in play including whether to assume the pedestrian is rational and will continue to stand there or step out to commit suicide by Uber.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #54

Personally, I welcome autonomous cars. That will take the human stupid drivers out of the equation.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
Of course we could vastly reduce the accident rate by eliminating all the stupid stuff people do, but that's a pipe dream. People do stupid stuff -- always have, always will.

What's the accident / fatality rate for self-driving cars?
For people-driven cars?
Which is lower?

I ask these in the form of questions because I don't know the answers. Maybe self-driving cars haven't been subject to enough testing yet to compare them.
NTSB data shows 1.18 fatalities for every 100 million miles driven by human operated vehicles.

Google: 1 fatality per 5 million autonomously driven miles.

Uber: 1 fatality per 3 million autonomously driven miles.

So far, victory for the humans, despite their rampant stupidity and poor driving habits.

It is clear that no junior detective viewing satellite images or reading unofficial reports will be able to offer useful information regarding this incident.

An interesting point brought up is that of responsibility and liability. While shirking responsibility is a way of life for many, including the manufacturers of the software used in autonomous vehicles, it does not seem unreasonable to foresee a time when the buyers of said vehicles will be required to sign a disclosure stating that they, the buyer, will assume all responsibility for the safe operation of the vehicle. This, despite the the endless testing, research and certifications which demonstrate that the vehicle is completely safe and harmless to themselves or others.

Since we will be traveling in vehicles which are deemed to be considerably safer than those operated by humans, will insurance premiums be drastically reduced? Will insurance even be necessary?

The insurance industry certainly won't be pleased with such a development. Nor will the auto body repair shops.

How about that vehicle reported a few posts back that drove itself into a corner and stopped? Yes, perfectly safe. How will that go over in actual traffic conditions?

How many autonomous vehicles will stop when a light turns yellow while the two cars behind it are full gas to get through the intersection on a red? See it every day when I go through a questionable yellow and see a car 50' behind coming through as well.

Will these cars be able to anticipate a car swerving because they can see the driver on the phone, texting, eating or applying make up? Or preparing to make a lane change because of a slight head movement?

Right now the numbers are hugely in favor of humans and what must be taken into consideration is that many of the autonomous miles have been measured in controlled environments.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Tempe PD releases video of moments before self-driving Uber hit, killed pedestrian

Tempe PD releases video of moments before self-driving Uber hit, - Arizona's Family
Closed Thread