Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

Uber 'autonomous' car kills women

Last night in Tempe AZ an Uber car in 'autonomous' mode WITH 'safer driver on board struck and killed a women pedestrian as she was pushing a bicycle across a busy street........NOT in a cross walk
Uber car was traveling at roughly 40 mph---no skid marks
Uber has suspended ALL 'autonomous' operations

New it would happen..just sooner then I thought.
Especially with a 'safety driver'

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/t...-fatality.html
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #2

We don't have enough information yet to know if the accident could have been avoided by a human in the same situation.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
We don't have enough information yet to know if the accident could have been avoided by a human in the same situation.
There WAS a human in the Uber car......a SAFETY DRIVER

Granted ......women was 'jay-walking' it was night time BUT NO SKID marks by 'autonomous OR Safety Driver'
Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm dead set against self driving cars. How many times do you see a situation where you know a self driving car won't spot it.

A ball headed for the street with a little child chasing it.

A car coming towards an intersection at a fast rate of speed and you know it is going to run the red light.

My question is in this case where the lady was killed....who is responsible? I think you are going to see a bunch of finger pointing.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post

It doesn’t matter to me these cars cannot see far enough ahead and make human decisions, I think I see someone up there a few blocks trying to cross the street, or is that a dear up there standing in the ditch I better be prepared to stop. Stupid ideas these cars. [emoji107]
Old 03-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That too scares me. Reports are coming out that many semi's within 5 years will be driver-less. 80k pound loads buzzing down the roads without humans in control is science fiction to me.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 03-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
That too scares me. Reports are coming out that many semi's within 5 years will be driver-less. 80k pound loads buzzing down the roads without humans in control is science fiction to me.

Complete stupidity!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm 100% for self driving cars.. I can't wait for the day when this works all the time.

There will certainly be a point where self driving cars will do far far better than human drivers, and I'm ready for that! It's gonna be a while though.

The lady crossing the street could have been hit by anyone.. in order for her to get hit by a car, she MUST have stepped out pretty close to a moving vehicle no matter what, otherwise she would have made more ground and been out of the path before the vehicle arrived at her location... that's my thought anyway.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
Old 03-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm dead set against self driving cars. How many times do you see a situation where you know a self driving car won't spot it.

A ball headed for the street with a little child chasing it.

A car coming towards an intersection at a fast rate of speed and you know it is going to run the red light.

My question is in this case where the lady was killed....who is responsible? I think you are going to see a bunch of finger pointing.

Exactly.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #10

I agree with Finance we don't have enough info yet. Yes there was a safe driver in the car but who knows they could have been having a nap. Also who knows if the lady didn't step out with no time to react no matter if there was a driver or not.
Sad to hear and I don't trust them yet but I'm sure it is the future.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #11

Autonomous cars are here and they will prove to be safer than most drivers. Self driving cars don't take their eyes off the road, fall asleep, or answer cell phones. I work the sugar beet harvest in ND every fall and their tractors and combines are Auto Steer, the farmer just rides in the cab to monitor the computer screens, the equipment drives itself perfectly and dosen't miss a row. Even planes use Autopilot. New technology is scary, it's suppose to be that way.
Imagine when man was first introduced to new technology called fire!! talk about a scary experience for them.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #12

With 100% self driving cars there won't be some moron running the red light. Might not even need red lights if the cars can talk to each other. Should make traffic flow much better overall.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #13

Over 30 thousand people die every year from car crashes in this country. Of course we are all safe drivers in this forum.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Instead of driverless cars they should focus on teaching people to drive like they used to.
If people find that driving is too boring and they need to text and do other things to fill their time they should have to ride a bike. Oh wait,someone will invent a driverless bike.
Closed Thread