Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Talking Unfriendly Experience Recently

Hi friends! We just recently purcharsed our first RV as a family and camped at our first RV park. Featherly RV Park in Yorba Linda/Anaheim off the 91. The place was nice and our Neighbor was very nice. They were also new to RV. We are very nice people and say hi to everyone. Well My fiance, son and myself probably said hi and smiled at over a dozen people and only one smiled back and said hi. The rest actually just looked at us and turned their heads like we did'nt matter. Very very rude people! No matter what it did'nt spoil our time as a family, but it was a bit disheartining for us. We plan on still hitting the road to see more many new places with our RV and hope along the way people will be a little more kinder. Has anyone ever experienced this? Safe journeys friends!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

Just as with all human relations, you will find that responses vary from time to time and from place to place.

Some days it seems that everyone has been drinking happy juice; other days sour milk.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
People are no different in campgrounds than anywhere else. You will find all kinds, so don't be discouraged. Maybe you should sign up for some rallies and get to know some other RVers.

As for us, we tend to keep to ourselves and are not outgoing. Not to say that we aren't friendly...we just don't socialize much and enjoy quiet time.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome and glad you are camping and sorry for your inhospitable experience.
I’ve never encountered that myself (3 times around the country and every state at least 3 times). However, I do have an 8 year old grandson that is way too friendly. I have seen folks shy away from his overly friendly greetings because they sense he will be pestering them too much. Typically I smile and nod. This is noot overbearing and I almost always get a positive reply. Also, look for an opportunity to assist someone. That’s the easiest way I know to make friends.
And think of this – you probably don’t want to know those grumps anyway – they saved you some time figuring them out.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you howdy me or my wife, you are guaranteed a howdy back, if we don't beat you to it.

Ken
Old 09-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Geesh! Consider where you were.

Come to Texas and everyone will say howdy.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Geesh! Consider where you were.

Come to Texas and everyone will say howdy.
I agree with this. Yorba Linda/Anaheim off the 91. Good chance many people there were residents as opposed to travelers. It is a entirely different situation. We have stayed frequently at Mission RV in Redlands. Nice clean smallish park in the thick of things. The atmosphere there is different than say a destination park, groomed just for the RV's on the move. Not really hostile but reserved and "to themselves". It may come from living fulltime in such close accomodations.

Travel more and you will find wonderful and friendly people all over the place. We all have "RV" in common so start up conversation is easy.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post
.....Well My fiance, son and myself probably said hi and smiled at over a dozen people and only one smiled back and said hi. The rest actually just looked at us and turned their heads like we did'nt matter. Very very rude people!...
Your post doesn't surprise me at all. I started camping many years ago. People were indeed more friendly in the CGs in the past. They were also YOUNGER. Now we are seeing mostly the older generations and the retired. Whether they're new campers or what, they are not the same as the campers in the past. But then, neither are the RVs. Back then RVs were good for sleeping, cooking and you had your own toilet/shower. That was about it. So few hung out INSIDE. Everyone was outside looking for things to do and meeting other campers was one of those things. Now RVs come with DVD players, TVs, radios, cable readiness, phone jacks and many campers have satellite dishes, MiFi and wireless phones.

In the past people were much more social (not much to do inside the old RVs) and and just about everyone would wave and say "Hello." They'd invite you over to their campfire. They'd stop on the CG road and start a conversation. More people would be seen out walking around and socializing in general. Camping back then was a true social event. If it wasn't raining almost everyone was outside doing something. Swimming. Cooking over a camp-stove or fire. Walking a dog or with some children. Riding their bikes. Visiting each others campsites.... it was a whole different world back then. I was shocked, truly shocked when we got back into camping 5 1/2 years ago. I didn't expect such a change. It was disappointing but we accepted it. We do usually meet at least one other retired couple when we camp but there have been times when no one was friendly. They chose to stay to themselves for whatever reasons they had. They sit alone at their campfires or vanish into their RVs at sundown. We have seen rigs pull in, hook up, level, go inside their RV and not be seen again until they leave the CG. Go figure. It makes you wonder why they leave their driveways at all.

Yes, things are very different now. It's not the "camping" of the past. Most of the campers we see are seniors like ourselves. Most want to be left alone. Most never leave their site except to walk a dog. Many wont wave back or say a word.

There are people in the CGs sitting inside their RVs watching TV or they're on their PCs or phones. They don't want companionship and have no desire to meet and socialize with others. Maybe they're there to escape an unhappy home situation (unwanted relatives living with them) or apt they rent (noisy horrible tenants next door). At least that has been our experience these past 5 1/2 years
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
And think of this – you probably don’t want to know those grumps anyway – they saved you some time figuring them out.
Someone else on these RV forums mentioned that some people go to CGs to escape from having to socialize. They work all week and have to deal with other people or strangers. They simply want some peace and quiet when they're camping. I worked full time most of my life and had to be around both co-workers and strangers whether I felt like it or not, so I can understand what may be simply the need for some "no people" time in their lives. They just want to be left alone. Understandable..........
Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Someone else on these RV forums mentioned that some people go to CGs to escape from having to socialize. They work all week and have to deal with other people or strangers. They simply want some peace and quiet when they're camping. I worked full time most of my life and had to be around both co-workers and strangers whether I felt like it or not, so I can understand what may be simply the need for some "no people" time in their lives. They just want to be left alone. Understandable..........
I have to agree with Rancarr, the DW was an educator dealing with kids and parents and I was a police officer dealing with people not at their best. Although I will say hi to almost anyone in earshot I treasure my solitude too. I don't feel we are anti social, just had enough of people over the years... LOL
Old 09-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
And some of us older folks can't hear as well anymore. We though we heard something, but maybe we didn't. Don't forget also that maybe english is not their language possibly. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
I have to agree with Rancarr, the DW was an educator dealing with kids and parents and I was a police officer dealing with people not at their best. Although I will say hi to almost anyone in earshot I treasure my solitude too. I don't feel we are anti social, just had enough of people over the years... LOL
Same situation with the DW and I. We will wave back and exchange pleasantries, but I/we go camping for the peace and quiet.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #13

We are in Virginia Beach at the moment. On both sides of us, and across the street are Canadian's. They have really made me re-think, as the reputation for Canadian's is they are rude and un-friendly. These people are very friendly and glad to be here in the USA.
The moral story is that you never know who you will meet. Some are friendly and you will remember them. Others are just the opposite and not worth your time remembering. And if worse comes to worse you can always move. Your home is on wheels.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This seems odd to me, as so far in our travels, we have mostly had positive experiences. Oh there is the grumpy old man walking the small dog at every park, or so it seems. But that is the exception to most of our friendly temporary neighbors. Maybe you were too friendly and they feared you. Hope you find more happy campers in your future travels!

JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote