Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #43
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Bob. Interesting design. I thought they were end caps but this seems like it would work well. Don't think I want to fabricate it myself ( it wouldn't be pretty ). There have been a few good ideas here. The topper banging on the side of the MH sobered me up for one day. A few more days like that and I'll be a new man

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
When the wind blow it will push the topper support arm outward creating more clearance. The is only about a 1/4" clearance during normal movement. You can move the spacer to set clearance. You are missing part of your spacer kit. 3107198.347B this is the spacer kit number in polar white. www.adventurerv.net is the only place I could find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	21676  

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #45

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
Many times these anti-billow locks are not installed properly. To work correctly, the arm needs to be at 12:00 when the slide is in. Mine came from the factory in various positions. When I reinstalled them correctly my billowing problem virtually went away.
The instructions on ours say about 1:00 position when fully retracted. I just read them a short time ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma
When the wind blow it will push the topper support arm outward creating more clearance. The is only about a 1/4" clearance during normal movement. You can move the spacer to set clearance. You are missing part of your spacer kit. 3107198.347B this is the spacer kit number in polar white. www.adventurerv.net is the only place I could find it.
Which part is this spacer? This is what I got from Adventure. Net http://www.adventurerv.net/spacer-ki...e-p-17847.html

There isn't any photo or description.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Which part is this spacer? This is what I got from Adventure. Net SPACER KIT, POLAR WHITE - $17.64

There isn't any photo or description.
That spacer is the stop that attaches to the side of the MH. It is two pieces, one which you have and the other is an adjustable slide in piece which change the actual stop location. This is what the anti billow device, that is attached to the roller, catches on.

It is number 541 in this drawing.

I bought it blind based on the part number for dometic.

The way I adjusted mine was to have the wife extend the slide in small increments so I could adjust the clearance by rotating the anti billow arm on the awning. When I had it at the rotation angle I wanted I marked and drilled.

BTW to work on this I had to slide the awning on the tube because it had not been tacked with screws in the MH end. These things are hard to turn by hand. Make a pull rope, like a lawn mower starter, with a hook in the end. Put the hook in the roller slot and wrap it around the tube several times. You can with one hand pull down and unfurl the awning to set a pin in the axel to make it safe.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #48
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Coma. I'll call them. I need black. ( spray paint )

Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #49

I had my slide topper unfurl during high winds and ended up using large plastic tie straps to lock it in place. It was ugly but it worked, we have since replaced that slide topper because the wind damaged the mechanism. I like that the new topper covers more than just the slide so water doesn't end up on top of the slide when retracting it.

Here is the new slide topper, for some reason the dealer didn't install the cover calling it "optional" even though I found out it's included. That's a post for some other time, included the fact they forgot to install most of the set screws.

Original slide topper awning, I put tie straps around it and over the claw to force the claw to lock into the gear.

EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #50
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wish I had taken an interest in this thread back in May.

We were on our way home with 45+ mph winds coming in from the back passenger quarter when we heard the SWOOSH/FLAP/FLAP/FLAP. No traffic, put on the brakes and it sucked back in. Couldn't figure out for the life of me why it happened as we had been in those type winds before. It happened 3 more times and each time slowing down would suck the awning back in. Eventually we turned in a different direction and the winds did not bother us anymore

On inspection, my "Anti-Billowing Mechanism" was missing on the 20+ foot slide topper. It must have just come loose somewhere along the 4000+ miles and fell off. My replacement cost me $12 and some change. Hmm! Since I don't ever want it to happen again I think I'll buy a spare. You know! Spare in hand - never need it.

It is as pictured in previous post but my particular "stop mechanism (wedge)" is mounted on the vertical wall of the MH. Everyone is different depending on model. On my A&E toppers it specifically stated on the parts package that the "TAB" of the device should be at 11:00 or 1:00 o'clock when on passenger side. . So looking at the slide from the front of the MH it would be at 11:00 and looking at the slide topper from the rear of the MH it would be at 1:00. Driver side would be just the opposite, 1:00 from front, 11:00 from rear.

In my case the original holes were wallowed a little and I did not feel there was a tight fit. It was re-positioned slightly and new holes drilled for the "self tapping (yeah right!) screws. Then while someone is watching the anti-billowing device another person bumps the slide out to make sure that the "TAB" on the device clears the stop.

There is supposed to be a couple inches play so as to not tear the awning when the slide is in. As it billows out an inch or so, the tab will hit the stop. The stop could be checked by just rotating the roller, or two people, one on each end, just pull on the fabric a little watching what the TAB does.

I'm revitalizing this thread- no need to start another on the same subject - as a "MAINTENANCE" issue. From now on before a trip, and maybe while on the road, I'm going to get the ladder, reach up, and see that the anti-billowing device is not wiggling off the screws.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once again, returning home from CO, the large slideout awning began to unfurl in the high winds. So, up to the roof we went and bungied both ends of the awning to the arms. I don't know how or why but it works. I guess it puts enough tension on them that it requires a LOT of wind to make it unfurl. Just make sure when you park for the night that you remove the bungies BEFORE putting out the slides. Don't ask me how I know!
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #52

You learn something every day. I didn't know what those things were and mine were not adjusted properly!

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #53
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Eddie,

Check your manual. I just learned that some coaches have stoppers on the sidewall of the MH, and some use the topper channel, so configuration can be a little different.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
We have a loooong nylon rope and simply tie the things down (tie it around the entire slide so the topper lies flat against the slide). Have done it several times in NM in high winds. Not an automatic fix, but it definitely works.