Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #29

Jayco Owners Club
What I remember best about Viet Nam is two things. An AK-47 round breaking the sound barrier close enough to your ear will leave a small bruise.... and.... you can fall out of a Huey.... Luckily, on the first one I was the better shot, and, on the second one I was only about 10' off the ground.

I am of the opinion that just about everyone should serve a 2-year stint. My service turned me from a non-caring, dope-smoking hippie musician into an American man with some sense and purpose. I saw the same transformation in some of my friends... and in some that didn't have to serve... just the opposite.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:16 AM   #30

[QUOTE=schrederman;2670551]What I remember best about Viet Nam is two things. An AK-47 round breaking the sound barrier close enough to your ear will leave a small bruise.... and.... you can fall out of a Huey.... Luckily, on the first one I was the better shot, and, on the second one I was only about 10' off the ground.

crack thumb! nasty sound

To your second comment, that's why I like to be the guy behind the cyclic instead of the guy in the back. We had more thingies holding us to the airframe!

Regarding the USPS and the U.S. Park Service, not everyone is cut out for military service, and there are true conscientious objectors out there (not the ex-president type) who should also be allowed to serve. Of course, if the USPS had two year "draftees", I think I know who would be doing all the work! Maybe enough of them would stay on to shake up the mess!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #31

I definitely would not want my tax dollars going to support the entire country drafted into service for 2 years. And as a former Army commander, I would definitely not want anyone in my unit that didn't want to be there. Military service is no longer for fixing problem children. Send your kids to church if they need to learn the difference between right and wrong.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
I definitely would not want my tax dollars going to support the entire country drafted into service for 2 years. And as a former Army commander, I would definitely not want anyone in my unit that didn't want to be there. Military service is no longer for fixing problem children. Send your kids to church if they need to learn the difference between right and wrong.
There's a lot more to it than learning right from wrong. They should learn right from wrong at home.
So you would rather your tax dollars go to support prisons that kids wind up in because they have no skills and no values of duty, honor, country. If the military was ever for fixing problem children they did one hell of a job in both world wars, Korea, and Vietnam! I'll take that kind of fixing any day.
I served my time in the military as did my Father in ww2 and my sons and I venture to say made better citizens out of us all.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #33

I have to agree with Schrederman. Think back to the days of men serving because of the draft. Now remember what it was like when the National Anthem was playing at a sporting event. No one was talking or walking around and not one man was wearing a hat during the Banner. Now see what it's like when the National Anthem is playing. People are talking, walking around, on their cell phones, and just acting bored with what they apparently feel is an ordeal.

The military taught many that our freedoms and way of life had a cost and that it had to be cherished or we would lose it. Now it seems like things like patriotism and sense of country are just passe ideas.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:12 AM   #34

I have some great memories of my time in Germany, I got out in 64, half my crew went in after me bought the farm in Vietnam.
I think the army reinforced whatever values I had.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
I have some great memories of my time in Germany, I got out in 64, half my crew went in after me bought the farm in Vietnam.
I think the army reinforced whatever values I had.
Those that were killed in Vietnam are missed by all of us who were there as well as their families and friends. They are all hero's. A most solemn Hand Salute to them.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless You've Been a Soldier!

Well I wasn't, but I was a sailor four years and served in the gulf of Tonkin in 1970 and 1972 Vietnam. I served on the USS America (CV-66) aircraft carrier as a machinist (MR) in the shop on broad. In 1970 during a seven month tour we lost a helicopter pilot and a co-pilot and it was tuff on most of us in the shop because we had become good friends with these two guys and saw pictures of one's young kids. My brother was in the Army as an advisor to S. Vietnam regulars. My brother got out in 1971 a year before I did. We both were discharged in California a year apart and at the airport a female college kid accused us being baby killers and decided they should spit on us and they did. Because of my Christian up bringing it was all I could do to keep from putting my fist through "her" teeth, thank God these guys coming home now are treated with respect. I salute everyone who has served. THANK YOU.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:46 PM   #37

I am proud of my fellow vets, but remain ashamed of our government - I cannot and will not ever forgive them for leaving brother MIAs behind in Vietnam...God Bless You, Capt. Albro Lundy...wherever you are...I think of you often.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
There's a lot more to it than learning right from wrong. They should learn right from wrong at home.
So you would rather your tax dollars go to support prisons that kids wind up in because they have no skills and no values of duty, honor, country. If the military was ever for fixing problem children they did one hell of a job in both world wars, Korea, and Vietnam! I'll take that kind of fixing any day.
I served my time in the military as did my Father in ww2 and my sons and I venture to say made better citizens out of us all.
Yes, I would rather my tax dollars be given to prisons for derelicts. It's a lot cheaper than putting them in the military. Besides... we want our finest in service, not derelicts. The military doesn't "fix" everyone. If you get a dishonorable, its just like having a felony record - maybe even worse. The "go to war, or go to jail" mentality was left behind in the mid 80's - it's not what was best for our military.

The role of the military is to defend our constitution. It's the role of parents to rear their children correctly and ensure they have the skills necessary to succeed in life.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post

The role of the military is to defend our constitution. It's the role of parents to rear their children correctly and ensure they have the skills necessary to succeed in life.
Thought that's what I said. Everyone has their opinion on the rest.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Here's the world according to Scot: No mandatory service of any kind, HOWEVER, if you wish to exercise the PRIVILEGE of voting, (notice, I said the PRIVILEGE, not the RIGHT), then you are encouraged to serve in one of the organizations above (there are others, that would have to be codified in law) for a predetermined amount of time, at which time you would be entitled the PRIVILEGE to vote (with proper photo ID).
I do not agree that voting is a privilege. Neither does the Supreme Court, or our constitution that has had several amendments (5, I believe?) giving specifically the "right to vote" to several classes of people in our country that were otherwise forbidden suffrage. Maybe you meant to say "qualified to exercise your right to vote."? That I would agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
...No one can vote who has been a recipient of the public dole for the 365 days leading up to the election, ie; welfare, unemployment, food stamps (EBT), etc. If it is important for you to vote, you know what you have to do.

I'm not sure why ANYONE thinks it is a good idea for people who are in no way contributing to the money in the pot be allowed to decide how that money is spent.
I am sure you are a caring person - but this statement does not come across as that. In my eyes, its the poor, the elderly, the people who can not take care of themselves, is why we even have a military. It's not a privilege to serve the rich - its a job. It's a true privilege and honor to serve the poor, because you know they can only give you their true heart felt appreciation. We have a duty to take care of those who can not take care of themselves. It's in our humanity. Unemployment is paid for, mostly, by the businesses who employ people - the same businesses that reap the revenue from their services. Welfare refers to social security, medicare, medicaid, and now Obamacare, all social systems designed specifically to take care of people who can not take care of themselves. I think you would be in a minority on this forum, telling elderly folks they lost their right to vote because they are now on social security or medicare.

Maybe, I don't know for sure, you meant to say, capable people who abuse those social support systems should not be allowed to vote? That I agree with.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #41
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exclamation Thread warning

Thanks to all for your interest and posts in this thread...BUT:

Discussions about politics NOT related to RV legislation is prohibited.

Any political posts made after this warning will be removed.

Thanks for understanding,
iRV2 Staff

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote