Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #15

There is jewelry (bracelet or necklace) that indicate the presence of these documents. We had a large red folder on my Mother's refrigerator with all of the necessary paperwork inside on DNR and DNT. The EMT folks were trained to look at the fridge for these. Hope Hospice is a wonderful organization.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My wife died May 16 of this year after I pulled the plug, she too had a DNR order on file but the hospital took it on their self to not follow it and because of that the force me to have to keep my promise, I would have prefer not to be the one to insure her death but a promise is a promise, so you can never count on the DNR order will be followed because I think that the medical staff worry about covering their on back side first, sorry to hear about the problems it created for you I truly understand it having just having to suffer the ordeal personally, it took my wife 2 hours of gasping for air before she finally died that was the worst 2 hours of my life, and it still haunts me today and I think it will forever

Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #17

I think a lot of the medical professionals are afraid of predatory lawyers in these situations.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
My wife died May 16 of this year after I pulled the plug...was the worst 2 hours of my life, and it still haunts me today and I think it will forever
Please accept delayed condolences.

Without trying to shred this thread to pieces...

It is sad that we allow ourselves to humanely let our pets pass on. I also realize that there are fears that allowing the same dignity in our own passing opens up fears of malicious use of that choice. NOBODY should suffer (or even possibly suffer) such a sad fate of passing.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As to your mother... Not much I can say.

As to the DNR. Legally there is nothing I can say since not only am I not a lawyer but I also have no knowledge of the rules where you (or more precisely she) is.

I do know that in many cases EMT's and Doctors have slightly different rules. Thus, you may wish to consult with professional legal help on that matter.

The only thing I know for a fact is this: One law suit betwen an auto dealer and a customer the dealer was ask "Who won?", his reply was 100% true: "The lawyers".

Think about that before you make the call.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines
My wife died May 16 of this year after I pulled the plug, she too had a DNR order on file but the hospital took it on their self to not follow it and because of that the force me to have to keep my promise, I would have prefer not to be the one to insure her death but a promise is a promise, so you can never count on the DNR order will be followed because I think that the medical staff worry about covering their on back side first, sorry to hear about the problems it created for you I truly understand it having just having to suffer the ordeal personally, it took my wife 2 hours of gasping for air before she finally died that was the worst 2 hours of my life, and it still haunts me today and I think it will forever
I am sooo sorry.
My mother was one thing, if it had been my wife, I dunno what I woulda done.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards
I think a lot of the medical professionals are afraid of predatory lawyers in these situations.
Thankfully, the ER doc was very understanding, I do not think this was the case here. /when told her there was a dnr, she call

ed the emt's back to the hospital, and they found the med folder in the ambulance, with the dnr. She called me back, and pulled the breathing tube while I was on the phone.

Mom, unfortunately, was not cooperative, and hung unto life for 2 more days.

Today, in the traditional Christian burial she wanted, she was laid to rest between her mother and her brother.
most of our family came out, and a reasonably good time was had by all.
Good night and God Bless, Mom....
Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim, we have traveled that same road ourselves. Take care and God bless.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord
First I am sorry for your loss. In my state POST and DNR forms are only holding to physicians, EMTS etc must give all support until told by a doctor to stop. I had to sign a form to that effect for my wife when she went into the nursing home for dementia. The one exception is if the patient is under hospice care requested by a physician. When I was a EMT, only the patient could deny themselves care unless they were a minor then the parent or guarding had to approve any treatment. If unconscious then the law said there was implied consent and we treated - no discussion was given to written forms in those days.
First, my sincere condolences.

When my late wife was sent home to hospice we had to have two documents. One was posted on our refrigerator for EMTs. When I had to step out a friend or neighbor would come and stay with my wife and children. I would have to tell them that if something happened to my wife do not call 911. Call hospice and they will send the ambulance. Then when the ambulance arrives make sure they see the DNR on the fridge. It is the only DNR that the EMTs could honor. The other one was for the hospital or hospice facility. it was not a fun education.