Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW They will also not deliver to the inner row of apartment complexes where they stagger one row behind the other. I had that happen when I shipped something to my son.

From my perspective they are usually OK but seem to have some issues with losing sight of the truck or taking very long to do a delivery. Probably because they are very time constrained.
This is an incorrect statement....they will deliver packages to wherever the apartment is located....even if they are staggered and the inner unit or on the top floor of a walk up
There is no problem with the package car being out of sight..that is why all are equipped with numerous locks
They do have a problem with leaving a package on a porch in a multiple address building...out in the weather and in plain sight....this is a security concern....
Chuck > 32 years of these concerns @ UPS

chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #16
mff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I find it interesting that we are talking about a company that has delivered millions if not billions of packages. I have used UPS for years without any problems and never ran into a rude employee. Maybe I am just lucky? BTW, I have no personal or professional relationship with UPS.

DITTO!

Old 12-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #17

We have no issues with fed ex uses or ups as they are competing for customers so usually one call will get that package on a truck the next day or address changed to your next stop.

Private companies like office depot where a private person tents a u haul truck for a day and they deliver to wrong house and wrong name and claim language barrier but delivered....

Had them personally deliver to my work with a verification of I'd only....
Old 12-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #18

FWIW I heard an interesting story about a USPS package yesterday. The fellow shipped it with the label written in Cursive. When he tracked it for a week of wandering around he went to the local PO who had a picture taken and emailed to the local Post Master. He had a label printed at the site that had the package where it was then properly routed and delivered. The USPS no longer handles cursive hand writing. It must be printed or hand lettered for the scanners to work.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I have never had one problem ..........
Yesterday afternoon(Christmas Eve) our phone rang........Fedex.......answered it, a nice lady asked for directions to our home.........she stated the driver could not find our address.........I explained the directions(Very easy) I asked if the drivers/trucks were equipped with GPS and she said yes......
I wonder how he could not find my home but "Any" Pizza delivery person does not have a problem? It was of course very busy and a lot of new part time drivers for the Holiday I suspect. She said if he could not find/deliver it that day, that they would be back out on Saturday............I told her "I hope my wife's Christmas Present" is not what is on your truck! 1 hour later(5pm) the driver pulled in and left it off! I hope he got home in time to enjoy his family like the rest of us! Thank you Fedex!
Old 12-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
... The USPS no longer handles cursive hand writing. It must be printed or hand lettered for the scanners to work.
I have to disagree. I address, in cursive, every birthday, anniversary, Christmas or other card I send. USPS has no problems delivering them.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I have to disagree. I address, in cursive, every birthday, anniversary, Christmas or other card I send. USPS has no problems delivering them.

Lori-

Problems do occur. I received a Christmas card addressed (in very good cursive writing) to me at Parris Island, South Carolina in April of the following year. It was postmarked in Rekjavik, Iceland, despite having a USA ZIP code and standard 1st class postage. It still had a $100 bill in it from my parents. We all had a good laugh over it.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post

Lori-
You can disagree but ask your local Post Master what the official policy is.

FWIW I can see why the mechanical scanners cannot read cursive. F mailed one of the flat rate envelopes so it was probably not hand scanned. Given that they schools often do not teach cursive any more it is just a matter of time before it will die out.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had no problems in sending,or receiving letters and parcels addressed I cursive script. Maybe they are pre-scanned
kicked out, and then sorted by hand.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #24

DITTO..DITTO... I have been using UPS shipping services both personally and professionally for 30+ years and they have very seldom missed there expected delivery time. Their logistic metrics are awesome when you take into consideration their daily volumes especially around the holidays.

Not that they don't make mistakes...but so do I!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've always had good experiences with UPS, but they have recently introduced a "hybrid" system called Surepost (I think). The package is picked up by UPS but it is delivered to the USPS sorting center closest to me, and USPS completes the delivery. UPS tracking ceases when USPS get the package and I then have to track it (using the same tracking number) on the USPS web site. I had a package shipped last week which got to the USPS office 5 miles from me in 2 days, then took another 5 days to be delivered, with no tracking updates. Amazon and B&H Photo have been using this service for their "free shipping" options.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
1. Amazon is really pushing their "Prime". I swear,that they take specific actions to delay or slow down shipments in an effort to get you to sign up for Prime. Which I refuse to do. The statement about using USPS as a co- carrier is one example.

2. I am a retired Supply Chain manager, we spent $6-7 mill a year on freight. UPS is far from perfect, but my years of experience, they are far better than the competition. Now with that said, location, location, location is important. One city in the country will have excellent service from brand X, And brand. X 300 miles away can be terrible. I have had ships with freight sink, a truck driver with critical parts killed at a truck stop, Airplane crash, and all kinds of weather stories associated with freight. Yep new employees, mad employees any given time a shipment can go wrong.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #27

Shipping by both UPS and FEDEX have been a problem for us lately and just lately. UPS couldn't deliver due to an incorrect address last month we ended up never getting that package and it was returned to sender. For Christmas, FEDEX had our granddaughters Christmas present in the delivery center on 12/17. The shipping history shows the package out for delivery everyday. Most days the status showed "no attempt made" other days showed "customer unavailable or business closed"????? Other days showed "inclement weather". Well, it did rain a day or two. I had to call the vendor with my sad story of an 8 year old girl that only wanted an American Girl doll for Christmas, that may not get it while the shipping company sat on it for over a week! Not sure if they intervened, but thankfully, it was delivered late on Christmas Eve and Christmas was saved.

I think they are getting more business than they can handle faster than they expected. We're using USPS when we can for awhile.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #28

As I... I typically address envelopes in cursive and to date have not had a problem.

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote