Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #1

It's official: U.S. is in recession.
Economy began shrinking in December 2007, panel declares.
This is the Headlines tonight on the nightly news and MSN. I say, "No kidding where have you folks been the last year". I have personaly felt a downhill battle with my businees since late November of last year and I know I am not alone on this. I have been wondering why our leaders have all been saying evrything is OK, the economy is "Fundamentally Sound". HUH? It looks like our fearless leaders finally got their head out of the sand.

Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #2

It's official: U.S. is in recession.
Economy began shrinking in December 2007, panel declares.
This is the Headlines tonight on the nightly news and MSN. I say, "No kidding where have you folks been the last year". I have personaly felt a downhill battle with my businees since late November of last year and I know I am not alone on this. I have been wondering why our leaders have all been saying evrything is OK, the economy is "Fundamentally Sound". HUH? It looks like our fearless leaders finally got their head out of the sand.

Bob O
Old 12-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Do you think the election had anything to do with the report timing?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #4

Personally, I believe that the American economy is fundamentally sound. There are some in our country that no matter how hard you try, and no matter what kind of check you send them, they will be broke or out of work. I doubt very much if anyone who works and lives within their budget (ie; paycheck) is having too much trouble. But then again there are some that feel sorry for people making 100 thou and up per year, with no education, that are losing their gift jobs.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #5

GaryKD, I'm sure it had nothing to do with the election. It always takes at least a year for the experts to see something right in front of their noses. Ha! Ha! Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:26 AM   #6

I am relly happy that things are great in some parts of the country for some. Most of the people that I know or talk to here in South Florida are hurting right now. They are not the ones looking for a "hand out" and they are not the ones that have no education that make "100K" and up. They are everyday responsible small business people and all of their employees who are having the difficult time right now. It is the trickle down effect that has taken over here. There are literally tens of thousands of homes for sale due to greedy people caught in the housing bubble that burst,flipping houses for a huge profit overnight. That is what has affeted us most here, along with thousands of forclosed homes due to shady mortgage deals in the mix.
Most of the people I know have had thriving businesses until this last year and are strugling now due to a slow business environment. It will be some time before this area recovers along with California, Nevada, Arizona to name a few. Just my two cents.

Bob O
Old 12-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #7

I am afraid that things are going to get much worse before they get better. I like to visit with small shop owners when we travel and they have been telling me for the last two years that things are getting bad. My late step father in law always judged the economy by watching the help wanted signs at fast food restaurants. If they were looking for help, the economy was O.K. and if they were not hiring, the economy was sinking. I started watching and there may be something to his way of thinking. Peace!
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, for some good reason, my little business is having a much better year than last year.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #9

Gramps, Maybe things are beginning to pick up, we all hope so. Good luck in your "little business" Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Mick . . . fundamentally sound? Do you have investments? Do you see the businesses going under? Tried to get a loan lately? How can you say it's sound? What do lazy people have to do with legitimate business owners losing their rears? I'm confused!! Or are you just playing on McCain's words?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mick:
Personally, I believe that the American economy is fundamentally sound. There are some in our country that no matter how hard you try, and no matter what kind of check you send them, they will be broke or out of work. I doubt very much if anyone who works and lives within their budget (ie; paycheck) is having too much trouble. But then again there are some that feel sorry for people making 100 thou and up per year, with no education, that are losing their gift jobs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mick, I'm confused by your post. Where do I sign up for one of these 100K no education gift jobs? Are some overpaid, sure but I don't understand the implications of your post. Could you clarify?
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Education? I have an Eighth Grade and wonder what I can make with a High School Education?
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #13

We have been in Branson this same time for 6 or 7 years. We have never seen so many people shopping. On Saturday you could not even get into some of the shopping areas.
As for how much can you earn with a high school education, our neighbor's son is making $15.00 per hour after graduating in 2006. He loves to work and will do any kind of work his employer ask.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #14

I'm sure there are some on this site who think now that fuel is going down everything is back to normal. So long as their annuities are producing an income they are unaffected and think everything is OK. There are a lot of reasons why this economy is hurting and both political parties can be blamed. What frightens me most is that it is possible for this country to come a part if a large number of people( not even a majority), simply stop believing in it.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote