Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
But if they spoofed the number the number on your redial won't be the right one. I get them often from the same area code and prefix as my number. Someone left me a voice mail a few weeks back that he'd missed a call from my number. I didn't make that call.

It got so bad on my cell that I just made a ring tone with 30 seconds of nothing and made it my default. Then everyone in my contact list got a custom ring tone. So if someone calls that's not in my contact list the phone just doesn't ring. It'll be in my missed calls, and I'll see it. And they're welcome to leave a voice mail. But there's no more stopping what I'm doing to look at the screen, decide I don't know them, and ignore the call. My phone ignores them for me,
The number that shows up is not the number they call on or you call back on. How could they call me on my number when I answer it?
Google has an app that you can spoof a number with. Saw that on the local news.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #16

I answer- "county morgue" Things go silent then if its a live person. Most of the time its just a robo voice

Seems most robo machines are looking to hear "hello" but if you say "ya" you get silence then hang up. I've stopped almost all of my robos by not answering calls I don't know. If its a friend or important they'll leave a message.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #17

I've gone for days without getting a single spam call. Then I'll get five in one day. There's no rhyme or reason.

I got one from my wife not long ago, ring tone and all, and she was sitting there next to me -- not calling me.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
Ask them how to get alot of blood out of white carpet, about two to three gallons. They get real quiet.
Charliez---- from Tom Mabe? love that CD very funny
Old 04-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #19

The junk calls coming my way seem to recordings. I block a lot of calling numbers.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
The junk calls coming my way seem to recordings. I block a lot of calling numbers.
I think you're wasting your time blocking numbers. These days the spammer's computer software doesn't know the last spoofed number used to call you. They just spoof another number next time. You can't block them all.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
the robo calls lately have been horrendous

block their number and an hour later they call back same name but new number

its unreal, worse is the caller never answers...
this morning i started calling them back
The problem with robocallers is that they're spoofing using real phone numbers, including mine. I've had several callbacks who missed the robocallers but saw my # in their phone log. I always apologize and explain what's happened, but spoofing is illegal. Sometimes I just play along until I get transferred to a real person, and I ask them for their company name and number so I can report them to the FCC. That's when the name-calling starts😁
Wwdnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #22

I got a text from someone last week. It said to "text me right away.".
I didn't know who it was, so I replied with the usual "Stop".
I got a response! "Who is this?".
I told him that he texted me first, and that he had a wrong number.
End of story. NO!
He texted me a couple/three days later. "No way I could have texted me first. I work closely with the FCC. Screen shot this conversation so I can start an investigation.".
Guess which person who "works closely with the FCC" got themselves blocked real quick!
Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #23

If it is a live person after their intro I say "may the fleas of a thousand camels invade your armpits".
They usually hang up, sometimes laugh!
Dave Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #24

I got a couple of calls from someone who alleged that he was from the gas company and was on his way to shut me off unless I gave him my credit card number to pay my bill. I am a full timer but have multiple rental properties and the tenants pay their own gas bill. I asked him which property, I have several. He hung up so I hit redial. I reached the gas company’s customer service center. He was really using their number in his caller ID. The gas company said they don’t call beforehand, they just come out and disconnect you. They advised me that this has been happening and they can’t get them to stop using the gas companies phone number. I gues even the gas company can get hacked.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #25

I have a pre-paid phone and don't want waste minutes. Unless the number is in my caller ID I usually don't answer and only call back if they left a voice mail. Of course I never answer a call while driving no matter who it is. I call them back when I can pull off the road somewhere.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I got a couple of calls from someone who alleged that he was from the gas company and was on his way to shut me off unless I gave him my credit card number to pay my bill. I am a full timer but have multiple rental properties and the tenants pay their own gas bill. I asked him which property, I have several. He hung up so I hit redial. I reached the gas company’s customer service center. He was really using their number in his caller ID. The gas company said they don’t call beforehand, they just come out and disconnect you. They advised me that this has been happening and they can’t get them to stop using the gas companies phone number. I gues even the gas company can get hacked.
Gas company wasn't hacked. Someone just spoofed their phone #.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #27

My favorite ways of responding to nuisance calls are:
  • Answer "FBI Major Fraud Unit. How may I help you?"
  • Whisper "It's done, but there's blood everywhere"
  • Let them go through their entire spiel, then say "I'd love to buy your XXX, but my lawyer says I shouldn't do anything until this pesky bankruptcy thing is out of the way."
  • "My mommy bought me new underwear. They say Sunday, Monday, Tuesday...." they usually hang up before I get to Wednesday.
EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #28

We still have a land line. Pammi just doesn't want to get rid of it.
Got a call on it today, from myself!
Caller ID said Phil Perrin and the house lines number!
I didn't get to answer it in my initial shock, but, as luck would have it, I called myself back in about 20 minutes. I'm good like that!
This time I answered it and the good, but still robotic , voice told me that it was Microsoft and that they'd been trying to get ahold of me!
Uh, bu bye, no time for scams today!