Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #1

VETS Shopping at Exchange

For you VETS of the non-retired variety-

A buddy just sent me an article from our local paper that said veterans will be able to shop at the online exchange tax free come Nov 11. Have any of you heard this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Read the same thing in our local paper. Since we have 3 bases near by, must be true.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #3

Curious how this will shake out. Is the BX any cheaper than, say, Amazon?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have been eligible since I retired 24 years ago and probably haven't been a dozen times. It is NOT a bargain. There are a few things that are like Waterford crystal and some stereos, but overall just not worth it. The only real advantage is no taxes. Even when I was active duty we didn't shop there much.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #5

My wife works for the VA and Exchange has some good prices and at least in our case if we pick them up at the VA Hospital there is no sales tax. Selection is limited on a lot of products as when we where shopping to by both a all-in-one for home and a laptop for travel we couldn't get any of the models/brands we wanted. So good deals if they have the products you want.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #6

According to the local article, new people are running it now and don't want to loose any more to amazon. Said they are bringing pricing more in line. I hope so for all our service people out there!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
This is true but it is only available at the on-line site. You cannot go onto a base to buy in the PX unless you already have on base privileges. I have checked the on-line site for a few things a long time ago but didn't notice a great savings. It is just one more place to check before buying from Amazon.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If you wish to check it out, you have to be verified as a veteran. There is a sight to go to.
It is VetVerify.org I am a member of Together We Served, and got the info from that site. Don't know as I have not added my name to the first 18,000 that are now using it. You do have to shop online and there is NO TAX as a veteran.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
If you wish to check it out, you have to be verified as a veteran. There is a sight to go to.
It is VetVerify.org I am a member of Together We Served, and got the info from that site. Don't know as I have not added my name to the first 18,000 that are now using it. You do have to shop online and there is NO TAX as a veteran.

https://www.vetverify.org/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #10

To me, the Commissary is a good deal. The Exchange not so much.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
To me, the Commissary is a good deal. The Exchange not so much.
Agree. The PX/BX system is hurting. The prices are high. Using clothes as an example, they are all marked down a significant amount but they are so highly priced to start with, it's not a bargain. As a result, customers go down town where they can get mark downs on perfectly satisfactory items that are less expensive to start out. Commissary sells at cost plus 5%.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #12

I am retired from the USAF and also Walmart. As a member of Walmart management I had a store literally at the from gate of Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, NV. We always had people in uniform shopping in the store, a lot of them stocking up the unit 'country stores', the unit 'snatch shop' if you will. The reason? Cheaper prices for the exact same things sold in the commissary. They had to pay sales tax on non-food items, per Nevada law, but the typical soda, chips, candy bars, etc were much better deals at Walmart and tax exempt.

Do I shop at the base? Depends. I get a 10% lifetime discount on most things at Walmart but the commissary, in general, has better quality meat products with a better selection. Almost everything else is cheaper at Walmart AND I don't get hit with the commissary surcharge. The surcharge jacks the price up so you pay almost as much as the state tax.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote