Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #169

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
What source is this from? That has to be considered. CDC is sponsored by government. So is FDA. Again, the idea of 'profit' rears it's head...
Who are the 'experts' on the 'chat'?
From ABC News:

Myth 1: The flu shot causes the flu*
Flu shots tend to be given at the time of year when respiratory viruses run rampant anyway, so it shouldn't come as surprise that some people catch a respiratory bug right around the same time they receive the vaccine. Also, because it takes about two weeks to build up immunity to the virus after receiving a shot, some people may get sick with the flu within that timeframe.
The viruses contained in the flu shot are dead and can't give people the flu, according to experts at the CDC. The most common side effect from a shot is arm soreness, they tweeted. For children given the nasal spray form of flu immunization, the most common reactions are a runny nose, wheezing and headache.

*Myth 4: People who are allergic to eggs can't get a flu shot*
This is a common myth since current flu shots contain strains of the influenza virus grown in eggs.
The experts on the chat noted that a reaction to the shot by someone with egg allergies is rare.
"You should only avoid getting a flu shot if you have a severe allergy to eggs," tweeted Dr. Thomas Sandora, an infection control expert and epidemiologist at Boston Children's Hospital.
A recent Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology study backs up this thinking. In the report, Canadian researchers followed 367 people with egg allergies who received a flu shot. None had a serious reaction to the shot, not even subjects with a history of developing anaphylaxis after eating eggs, and only 13 reported mild symptoms after the shot, such as hives or itchy skin.
However, that's not to say it never happens, so if you are allergic to eggs, check in with your doctor before taking a seasonal flu shot.

From CBS News:
Myth: Flu shots cause autism

Some flu vaccines contain thimerosal, a mercury-containing preservative that has been blamed for health problems, including autism. But studies have shown that the low doses of thimerosal are harmless, causing nothing more than redness and swelling at the injection site. Numerous studies have shown no link between thimerosal exposure and autism.

Each of us is free to decide what sources we can trust. Some believe everything on FOX to be a lie and some decide the same with everything from MSNBC. Many believe scientists on global warming but discount scientists on the safety of flu shots and vaccinations. As I stated before make your own decisions and give me the courtesy of letting me make my own.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #170

Hmmm, from the 'media'. Ok. Thanks
You don't need our courtesy to make your own decisions though, you have that right to believe and do what you want, within the law.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #171

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Regardless of peoples opinion on immunization the fact remains do we want to give our employers the right to force you to take it? The OP question."

That is how the discussion started but it turned into an anti flu shot debate.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #172

Here in Niagara we had an incident where people that lived in a religious community came to visit friends and unwittingly spread the flu virus which resulted in a small outbreak that hospitalized several innocent people.
This was because they weren't vaccinated due to their beliefs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
Hmmm, from the 'media'. Ok. Thanks
You don't need our courtesy to make your own decisions though, you have that right to believe and do what you want, within the law.
Isnt that what this post was about. Should the nurses be fired for refusing the shot? Everyone has drawn their own conclusion but do we still have the right to choose or should your employer have the right to override your choice?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #174
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Insofar as painting all vaccines with a broad brush, I'm old enough to have grown up when polio was a real threat - one of my friends in elementary school was left a paraplegic from a polio infection when he was 4 years old. The change was obvious when the Salk vaccine came out in 1955 followed by the Sabin vaccine. I for one am thankful for those vaccines that effectively eradicated polio from America!!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Insofar as painting all vaccines with a broad brush, I'm old enough to have grown up when polio was a real threat - one of my friends in elementary school was left a paraplegic from a polio infection when he was 4 years old. The change was obvious when the Salk vaccine came out in 1955 followed by the Sabin vaccine. I for one am thankful for those vaccines that effectively eradicated polio from America!!

Rusty
I respect everyones contributions to this thread as I enjoy reading everyone opinion even the ones I don't agree with. I'm not against vaccinations and have received them. Certainly for such dieses as polio. But I feel there may be some risks associated with vaccinations too. So for me the flu isn't worth the risk. I feel we all should appreciate the right to make that choice. Hence lies the rub. Still a matter of personal choice.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
But I feel there may be some risks associated with vaccinations too. So for me the flu isn't worth the risk. I feel we all should appreciate the right to make that choice. Hence lies the rub. Still a matter of personal choice.
I have no problem with your position - that's certainly your choice. I didn't take the flu vaccine for many years and didn't get the flu. I've taken it at my doctor's insistence for the last few years and haven't gotten the flu. I'm not sure what, if anything, that proves.....

Rusty
Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #177

Quote:

I have no problem with your position - that's certainly your choice. I didn't take the flu vaccine for many years and didn't get the flu. I've taken it at my doctor's insistence for the last few years and haven't gotten the flu. I'm not sure what, if anything, that proves.....

Rusty
Exactly doesn't prove anything. could be working for you and not causing any adverse effects. I assume i'm a few years younger than you and can fight off the flu just fine. So to me, why risk inserting anything foreign into my body for the convince of something minor (to me) like the flu. No disrespect. But as I get older and where the flu could kill me I may take it. Also because I might not have as long to see what the long term effects will be. For now I'll pass
Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
"Regardless of peoples opinion on immunization the fact remains do we want to give our employers the right to force you to take it? The OP question."

That is how the discussion started but it turned into an anti flu shot debate.
Disagree. It turned into an information thread on flu shots, the debate is 'just conversation' stemming from people's opinions (from that information or not) and their own experiences.
We are still discussing 'human rights', to take the flu shot, or not, professionals and workers, elderly and children. Of course, parents have the power to decide on behalf of their children whether to give them the flu shots or not. However, employers are now taking that power over their employees, and that is a bit concerning.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie409 View Post
Here in Niagara we had an incident where people that lived in a religious community came to visit friends and unwittingly spread the flu virus which resulted in a small outbreak that hospitalized several innocent people.
This was because they weren't vaccinated due to their beliefs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you know what religious community this was? Hadn't heard of this.
Who did they catch this flu virus from, someone who got a shot, or another person who didn't?
Disease can spread through improper personal care, improper sanitizing of surroundings, poor health and other issues that make them more susceptible. Do you know that the flu shot is deemed to be only 6% effective?
You would have to go back and read through the links here to learn about that.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #180
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
My employer (a Fortune 500 corporation not associated with the healthcare industry) provides flu shots on premises and encourages employees to get them in the belief that sick time will be minimized and there will be less of a chance for an office epidemic, but they certainly are not mandatory.

Rusty
Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Isnt that what this post was about. Should the nurses be fired for refusing the shot? Everyone has drawn their own conclusion but do we still have the right to choose or should your employer have the right to override your choice?
All things considered here, I would vote for the former option. I would vote for choice of the individual, to refuse the flu shot, to use other means for protecting their clients, and for staying home when they are ill.

I'm all for 'informed' choices on behalf of our children and employees.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #182

Quote:

Rusty
And I know people who have refused those vaccintions on behalf of their children, who have never come in contact with the polio.
From WHO:
Global caseload

Polio cases have decreased by over 99% since 1988, from an estimated 350 000 cases in more than 125 endemic countries then, to 650 reported cases in 2011. In 2012, only parts of three countries in the world remain endemic for the disease–the smallest geographic area in history–and case numbers of wild poliovirus type 3 are down to lowest-ever levels.

Those small parts are in these three countries: Nigeria Pakistan and Afghanistan.
So, if vaccines were to be mandatory, I suggest it would be prudent for those travelling to these countries and returning to North America, for their own protection, and for the protection of their fellow citizens back home.