Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #1

Violation of Human Rights???

Collective-Evolution – Several Nurses Fired For Refusing Flu Shot

At the Indiana University Health Gosben Hospital (HGH), two nurses were fired or refusing the flu shot. These inoculations are mandatory, per regulations of the hospital, which is a violation of the employees’ individual rights. Ethel Hoover, one of the nurses let go has worked for the establishment over 2 decades with an exemplary record.

Hoover asserted: “This is my body. I have a right to refuse the flu vaccine. For 21 years, I have religiously not taken the flu vaccine, and now you’re telling me that I believe in it.”

HGH implemented a mandatory vaccination program late last year. Melanie McDonald, spokeswoman for HGH explained:
As a hospital and health system, our top priority is and should be patient safety, and we know that hospitalized people with compromised immune systems are at a greater risk for illness and death from the flu. The flu has the highest death rate of any vaccine preventable disease, and it would be irresponsible from our perspective for health care providers to ignore that.
Eight nurses refused the flu shot as is their right as Joyce Gingerich, a fellow nurse said:

I knew right away I would have to walk away from getting the shot. I have a personal conviction that I don’t want to have one in my body.

Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the nurses have the right to refuse the shot without repercussions, prohibition or discrimination from their employer.

The HGH refused the nurses recourse and fired them with the help of their in-house attorney.
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Folks, you ain't seen nothing yet.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #3

If getting vaccinations was against their religion maybe they should have picked a different proffession. I can respect their civil rights until it conflicts with the rights of the people they are caring for. I would be angry to have a 80yr old relative go into the hospital to be treated for a broken foot and die from the flu they contracted.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
If getting vaccinations was against their religion maybe they should have picked a different proffession. I can respect their civil rights until it conflicts with the rights of the people they are caring for. I would be angry to have a 80yr old relative go into the hospital to be treated for a broken foot and die from the flu they contracted.
I agree 100%- health care professionals' first duty is to their patients.

And if it's a matter of "principles": Doesn't anybody take the Hippocratic oath any more?

I can't think of any apter application of its "First, do no harm" wording than preventing oneself from becoming a disease vector to one's patients!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
The OP did not say they refused for religious reasons. Some people have the right to refuse to inject anything into their bodies "they deem" potentially harmful.

Additionally, no claim was made that they actually passed the flu virus on to one of their patients. Other precautions are available other than vaccinations.

Would anyone endorsing such a policy go along with similar enforcement actions in schools, churches, etc decided to be in the best interest of others?

Dave
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Schools do have such enforcement, thank goodness. While they of course can't force vaccinations where parents forbid them, many simply bar unvaccinated children from school if there's an outbreak of certain diseases.

I guess that would work for health care professionals, too. And as a matter of fact, does. Isn't this a "terms of employment" thing? If they want to work, they can get the shots. Otherwise: no job.

Everybody makes their own choice, everybody's 's happy, and no one's "principles" are compromised!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

It's rather interesting that they were fired for refusing the flu shot. You see if a health care worker is diagnosed with AIDS, they do not have to inform their employer of their disease due to the privacy laws. How's that for a conundrum?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think the difference there, Taxman, is that AIDS is not communicable by just being in the same room with someone and poses no threat to a healthcare worker's patients.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This isn't a "human rights" issue but a "worker rights" one. Personally, I think forcing the flu shots is a bit over kill. There are so many more ways for folks to get sick in a hospital. OTOH, I think any hospital worker demonstrating flu or other similar conditions that could be communicated to others through coughing, sneezing and other more common methods should be forced to go home or stay home. As to things like AIDS or Hep C that are not easily passed to others through casual contact, the bottom line is that they are practicing proper safety methods.

I do find it odd that anyone who makes a living injecting others with vaccines finds that problematic but I can see some reasons. OTOH, I think health care workers need to be "highly encouraged" to take any vaccines that would help stopping the spread of contagion. Still, I suppose there should be some form of "conscientious objector" kind of status.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #10

Dave they didnt say they refused for religious reasons but that it was not something they believed in! I took that to be their belief and associated it with religion.

The interesting part of this story is my wife is a nurse and she also does not believe in vaccinations. She has 5 children none of which were vaccinated and attended publlic schools. They are since grown and her daughter also in the medical feild had to get all her shots and her oldest son joined the Air Force and ended up getting his shots too. The other three have not. She did not refuse her shots to work in the hospital but beileves she did the right thing for her children. I dont necessarily agree with her but they are not my kids. (second marriage).
But I believe she feels some childhood development issues can be linked to vaccinations and maybe are not such an issue if taken as an adult. But for whatever reasons doesnt seem to be as concerned as she was when they were babies.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
This isn't a "human rights" issue but a "worker rights" one. Personally, I think forcing the flu shots is a bit over kill. There are so many more ways for folks to get sick in a hospital. OTOH,
Absolutly! The biggest concern for patients should be infection and not the flu.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Absolutly! The biggest concern for patients should be infection and not the flu.
Ummm...don't you consider that being "infected" with the flu virus counts as an "infection"?
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Ummm...don't you consider that being "infected" with the flu virus counts as an "infection"?
Most patients suffer from complications of infection after surgery not infections of the flu virus. Different type of infection
Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
This could get pretty "testy" and I have some STRONG opinions about school age children not getting immunized ....so I'm just going to SHUT UP.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote