Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #29

Problems with flu vaccines for the elderly:

Flu vaccine barely worked in people 65 and older

Not all vaccinations are safe, and sometimes we find out after they are injected:

Provinces halt use of Novartis flu vaccines amid probe | CTV News
Health Canada suspends two flu vaccines made by Novartis - Hamilton

And some turn out to be poor in efficacy.. Vaccine Claims are Not Based on Science-Backed Medicine

The only myth here is the unscientific claim that the flu vaccine is safe and effective and "the best way" to protect yourself against the flu. Nothing could be further from the truth. Numerous studies have shown that the flu vaccine is NOT an effective way to prevent influenza and the real-life experiences of vaccine victims offer a window into the indisputable reality that flu vaccines are NOT without serious risks
Analysis Finds Flu Vaccine Efficacy Lacking

Even the 'professionals' cannot agree:

The truth about getting the flu shot | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Do you know what is in the vaccines?

The problem with flu vaccines | BMJ

Still think your grandchildren should be vaccinated?
It is a common myth today that the vaccines administered to children no longer contain the toxic additive thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative linked to causing permanent neurological damage. But a recent federal case involving the U.S.Food and Drug Administration(FDA) has revealed that, contrary to this widely-held belief, thimerosal is actually still present in many batch vaccines, including in the annual influenza vaccine that is now administered to children as young as six months old.
FDA Admits in Court Case That Vaccines Still Contain Mercury | Consciousness TV

Why Don't You Try This?: FDA approves first GMO flu vaccine containing reprogrammed insect virus
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #30

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Shouldnt force them to receive the flu shot--they can be required to wear masks while in contact with patients--thats what our hospital does.By the way, the cdc recommended not even treating the flu with Tamiflu unless very young, very old , pregnant, or significant medical problems- for the most part we advised patients to take Tylenol, Motrin, drink plenty of fluids. Also, Tamiflu works only within 48 hrs from onset of symptoms--otherwise is not effective.For the vast majority of patients, symptomatic treatment is all that is needed.---Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischua View Post
A hospital up hare gave you a choice get the flu shot or wear a N95 Respirator all shift.
That sounds fair - to provide the option of a safe alternative.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder what the result would have been if either of these nurses were not "candidates" for the flu vaccine.

Myself, I am not a candidate as I had a bout with Bell's Palsy about 10 years ago. I can't remember the last time I had a flu shot (definately not in the last 10-12 years), and only discovered that I could not get a flu shot after reading an article about someone that got a flu shot, and like me, was not aware of the dangers if you've had Bell's Palsy before. If I recall the article correctly they were not informed before getting the shot and had a more severe relapse.

I'll tell 'ya, Bell's Palsy is not fun, is pretty scary at the onset and can be painful. It took MONTHS for me to regain full muscular control of my entire face. I haven't relapsed since that incident, although if I do wear myself out way beyond my limit, I will get a slightly droopy eye for a few days.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
Exactly!!! No need to fire someone as the OP said happened

Dave
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Having retired from a hospital, I respectfully disagree - infection control encompasses a LOT of different things, diseases acquired in a hospital setting among them...and that includes influenza and other acquired illnesses.

My mother is in a long term care facility near me - and posted on the front door is an advisory about visitors who may have flu symptoms who should not associate with the residents. And yes, the staff is also required to have influenze immunizations, along with the hospital staff in nearby towns. This ain't a new issue.
Interesting. Among the issues I was hopitalized for, the most serious turned out to be a staph (bacterial) infection which I received in hospital.

Best way to prevent flu is handwashing, that is why doctors see flu patients all day long and don't get the flu.

My mother had the worst influenza after her flu shots. I have advised her not to get them anymore, against her doctor's advice, and since then, she has not had the flu in the past three years.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #35

All nurses required, but only 83% of doctors:

More physicians on track to get flu shots - amednews.com

Seems surveys are different than studies.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...6964I820101007
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #36

This says 60% of doctors refuse to get flu shots:
Sixty Percent of Doctors Refuse to Get Flu Shots by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

A case of do as I say, not as I do:

If flu shots are so good for you, then why do sixty percent of doctors and nurses refuse to get them? ABC News is reporting that only forty percent of health care professionals opted to be vaccinated against the flu last year.

It's yet another case of health professionals telling patients to do one thing while they do something entirely different themselves. For example, according to surveys published earlier this year, most oncologists would never undergo chemotherapy

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/News_0005...#ixzz2LaB5PTMW
Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
But if you refused both then I imagine you would be released?

I certainly hope that the employees in a medical environment can not set their own rules. If they do I would not want to go to that hospital. I would only want to go to or send a loved one to a hospital that enforces stringent rules that provide a safe medical environment for me.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
Brian Williams just reported on national news that this year's flu influenza vaccine was a "dismal failure". He cited it protecting those over 65, the most vulnerable, in only 9% of the cases where the person received a vaccine. That means 91% got the flu after getting the vaccine

As someone already posted, it's more about the money, protecting the hospital from a law suit.

So, what do you think those that were "forced" to get a vaccine to keep their jobs feel like when they hear statistics like that?

And no, it is not necessarily in the contract of the health care professionals that they must take flu vaccines or give up their rights. My daughter is a nurse too and has been such for the last 7 years.

Dave
I think those nurses would feel that they should have done more research before submitting to the flu shot.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

Best way to prevent flu is handwashing, that is why doctors see flu patients all day long and don't get the flu.
x
Handwashing????

I think you've mixed influenza up with fecal-oral-transmitted diseases like E-coli. A bacterial infection, and curable.

Flu is a respiratory viral illness for which the only cure is time, and it's spread mostly through the air we all share.

I guess we could all just stop breathing- that way, no one would need a vaccination!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't get this. What right is there to refusing conditions of employment with the expectation of continued employment? They were informed of the policy well in advance and I suspect they were given multiple opportunities to comply with the policy but chose otherwise. Are my rights violated because my employed requires me to wear a tie? What rights are violated when my employer requires random drug testing as a part of my employment?
Sweetbriar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Handwashing????

I think you've mixed influenza up with fecal-oral-transmitted diseases like E-coli. A bacterial infection, and curable.

Flu is a respiratory viral illness for which the only cure is time, and it's spread mostly through the air we all share.

I guess we could all just stop breathing- that way, no one would need a vaccination!
Right on Francesca!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I don't get this. What right is there to refusing conditions of employment with the expectation of continued employment? They were informed of the policy well in advance and I suspect they were given multiple opportunities to comply with the policy but chose otherwise. Are my rights violated because my employed requires me to wear a tie? What rights are violated when my employer requires random drug testing as a part of my employment?
Thank you. We seem to forget that employment is not a right, nor a privilege. An employer sets conditions of employment. Employees agree to work under the stated conditions. Employees who do not agree with the conditions do not have to work there. We used to tell our employees we had an obligation to provide a safe environment, and to design and sell quality products so we could stay in business and provide jobs and fair paychecks. Our employees were expected to work safely and competently.

Several years ago we decided, after a lengthy study, that all employees should wear safety shoes (provided at company expense) while in the plant. 20% of the employees refused, some even finding a doctor to say safety shoes were harmful to their feet. After a month or so of silly protests, we simply fired and replaced those employees refusing to wear safety shoes. Were their "rights" violated? Did not care. Safety shoes were a condition of employment.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote