Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
B&D

I hope the following is not percieved as political comment, but more a statement of humane compassion.

Awhile back as I was going through a dresser drawer, I found the POW/MIA bracelet I bought in '73. I remember wondering what happened to the service man and how he came to be MIA/POW and hopefully not KIA like other friends from that time. I have started wearing it again and since I work in an out-patient setting at the local VA hospital, it is an ice breaker & conversation starter. During a recent annual leave, it occured to me to use the internet to research the soldier and try to find out his fate. I found out details of the action during which he was captured, that he was POW released in '73 and later retired Sargent Major. Some how this all matters, after keeping this memory and physical reminder around for all these years, it was a type of relief and closure for myself that this soldier, serving our country to protect me when I was a clueless kid, was safe.

He has several of the bracelets with his name, rank, and date of capture which have been sent to him. I'm not sure if I should to send this one to him since it helps at work and is a concrete example to me of the importance of commitment and remaining faithful to values and ideas larger than myself.

If you still have your VN POW/MIA bracelet and if you haven't already, do a web search for the name of the service person and you will probably find out what happened to the person serving our nation during a most difficult time in history.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
B&D

I hope the following is not percieved as political comment, but more a statement of humane compassion.

Awhile back as I was going through a dresser drawer, I found the POW/MIA bracelet I bought in '73. I remember wondering what happened to the service man and how he came to be MIA/POW and hopefully not KIA like other friends from that time. I have started wearing it again and since I work in an out-patient setting at the local VA hospital, it is an ice breaker & conversation starter. During a recent annual leave, it occured to me to use the internet to research the soldier and try to find out his fate. I found out details of the action during which he was captured, that he was POW released in '73 and later retired Sargent Major. Some how this all matters, after keeping this memory and physical reminder around for all these years, it was a type of relief and closure for myself that this soldier, serving our country to protect me when I was a clueless kid, was safe.

He has several of the bracelets with his name, rank, and date of capture which have been sent to him. I'm not sure if I should to send this one to him since it helps at work and is a concrete example to me of the importance of commitment and remaining faithful to values and ideas larger than myself.

If you still have your VN POW/MIA bracelet and if you haven't already, do a web search for the name of the service person and you will probably find out what happened to the person serving our nation during a most difficult time in history.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Great post. A heart warmer! Thanks.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A great way to say thanks.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Write a letter to him and let him know how his braclet is helping others recover.
Also it may be helping others, who see the braclet, but who you don't have contact with. It's a way of saying that people still care about our military and veterans.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks for the post B&D.

I use http://www.zabasearch.com/ to find old army friends.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
B&D
Thank you for your service to our veterans. You are doing God's work! I agree that a note to the ex POW about what you are doing and the impact the bracelet is having would be very appropriate. I also agree you should keep it and be proud of the fact that you bought it in '73 and of what you are doing now for vets of all our conflicts. I'm one of those guys who proudly served from 1948 to 1990 and have used VA facilities. Thanks again.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j griff:
I'm one of those guys who proudly served from 1948 to 1990 ............ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
42 years?!!!!

God bless you!

FJF - USAF 1960 - 1964
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #9
B&D

Mr. Griff, et al,

Thank you for your comments. It's about those who pay with their youth, hearts, blood, sweat and tears to keep this fragile experiment in human freedom and dignity continuing.

I am composing a letter now. I am not sure how to get it to the soldier though. I am checking through channels at work but not soap yet. Any suggestions.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B&D:
I am composing a letter now. I am not sure how to get it to the soldier though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would suggest visiting a local Veterans of Foreign Wars or American Legion post. Someone there may be able to point you in the right direction.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
That is an amazing story and I thank you as well as the soldier whose bracelet you wear, and all of those who guard our freedom. I was just a kid when those bracelets were worn, it is heartwarming to know this story. Wow.

Brenda, of...