Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #15
It's like anything else, the location, City, surrounding community will dictate the level of crime that occurs, not the fact that this was a Walmart. I have seen Walmarts in very nice areas that are cleaner and safer than the big malls that everyone flocks to without hesitation. I agree with Old Car Nut, our society has come to an all time low where people worry more about these criminals who roam our streets victimizing innocent people , than they do about the Cops who put their life on the line trying to keep us safe. The Cops can't win, and unfortunately some of them just give up and do the minimum to get by. That's not what we want, but our society has created that, the more we feel sorry for hoodlums that are held accountable, the more situations like this we will have. I would highly doubt this was your average MH'ing family that just stopped for the night at Walmart.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #16
Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Well said Mike & Cha

08 Intrigue
2014 Ford Edge
Old 03-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #17
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
How long before the company does something about the fact that their overnight camping policy attracts crime ? Municipalities where these places are sited recognize the increase in crime and problems they bring.

Idaho family named as suspects in fatal Arizona Wal-Mart brawl
What a joke. We spend 2-3 weeks in Cottonwood each winter and know this Walmart well. We shop there every 3-4 days and have never felt the least bit uneasy or threatened inside, outside, coming or going. Since we also Wally-stop when convenient we take particular note of how many and what kind of RV's are overnighting or spending days in the lot. We have never seen what I would call a disreputable RV in the lot and have not repeatedly seen the same rigs there for extended times.

Arizona has problems with panhandling on corners throughout the state and Cottonwood is no different, but definitely does not have a GREAT LARGE problem. We have seen the entrance panhandler, but have never had a problem with him (or her), and have never seen anyone else have an issue with them either.

Walmart's attract no more undesirables than other similar businesses and they do provide security when needed, for patrons and overnighters. I've seen more issues with loud, drinking, obnoxious teens in hot cars with radios you could hear 2 miles away, than overnighters.

How about getting your facts straight and not generalize about a business that must have a good business model. They serve a need and do it well.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #18
I believe Walmart is providing a service and products at a low price and because of this they attract bargain shoppers which include RVers.

As RVers we travel sometime in unfamiliar areas and for that reason I'm always prepared for the unknown. The unknown can be criminals, bad weather or mechanical break down.
2015 Entegra Aspire RBQ
Wagon: 2015 Chevy Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Avail, Air Force One
Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #19
Walmart Parking

We use Walmart when ever it is convenient. We have seen no issues. In fact I think the use of their parking lot by RV's adds to their security. In the end we all benefit. We end up stocking up at their store - we all benefit. My hat if off to Walmart. It is a smart marketing idea that is to the benefit of all.
Thank you.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #20
iRV2 No Limits Club
Crime is everywhere and the campground owners think they're losing revenue when people stay at a Wal*Mart overnight. They used the "crime" at Wal*Mart to get a new law passed to keep people from staying at Wal*Marts here. The crime there wasn't any worse unless you counted the number of times the police were called for shoplifting, but that had nothing to do with the RV's in the lot.
But it worked and now there's no overnight parking at the two Wal*Marts in town.
BTW, there's at least one campground owners group that published a packet of info on how to get laws passed to outlaw overnighting at Wal*Mart and our local campgrounds just happen to belong.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Old 03-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are about 4,200 Walmarts across the USA. I would wager the crime per store is no more than the crime rate at any other mall or strip mall.
Some folks are very much against overnighting at Walmart. That is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I happen to think its a crime to spend $40 to go out of your way to park, hookup, get settled, and get up and get moving the next morning to undo everything and travel back to the freeway. All for one night. Campgrounds are great for some people, not so great for others. I've parked overnight at more than 50 Walmarts with less problems than I've experienced at campgrounds.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #22
Walmart won't fry your RV electrical system.

I can wheel in to Walmart at 10pm or out at 6am and not worry about disrupting paying overnight guests.

Walmart is easier to find than most campgrounds.

I'm not taking up an 18wheeler spot at a rest area if I'm at Walmart.

If I have to stop for supplies or forgotten items, I'm already there.

If I have to run the genny, I'm not saving any money over CG, so don't call me cheap.

It's really a convenience thing. I've never felt unsafe in a Walmart parking lot, but there have been a few questionable CGs in my 15 years of rving.

Our rule of thumb is, if we are putting miles on to get someplace, Walmart is choice 1 for 1 night stays. If we are taking a more leisurely pace and staying multiple nights, CG is preferred.

Someday, when I don't have to work anymore, we will probably stay at more CGs and less wallydocking.
Spinner & Gang
2000 MADP ISC350 2003 Jeep Liberty toad
"Working towards the next vacation!"
Old 03-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Crime is everywhere and the campground owners think they're losing revenue when people stay at a Wal*Mart overnight. They used the "crime" at Wal*Mart to get a new law passed to keep people from staying at Wal*Marts here. The crime there wasn't any worse unless you counted the number of times the police were called for shoplifting, but that had nothing to do with the RV's in the lot.
But it worked and now there's no overnight parking at the two Wal*Marts in town.
BTW, there's at least one campground owners group that published a packet of info on how to get laws passed to outlaw overnighting at Wal*Mart and our local campgrounds just happen to belong.
In my opinion, communities that pass bylaws regulating where honest travelers can and cannot park is simply telling everybody, "We don't want you in our community, we don't want your money, we are not interested in trying to serve you. Please move on." When I am faced with this kind of behavior, I simply move on.

When we are destination driving, we try to pull off the road no later than 5:00PM. After fueling, all we want to do is shut down, buy some groceries, make some supper and settle down for the evening. About 10:00PM, we want to run the generator for about an hour, and then go to sleep. We want to start our generator about 6:00AM. After we have had breakfast and are ready to roll, we will start the diesel about 6:30AM. We want the wheels rolling no later than 7:00AM. There isn't a campground in the entire U.S.A. that can meet my needs! Can't shop there! Can't buy groceries there! Can't run my generator late at night! Can't start my generator and my diesel at 6:00 AM! Why are these people trying to control where I can park for a few hours?

In my opinion, these people need to take some simple lessons from the folks at Walmart. Walmart recognizes that by allowing honest people traveling in their motor homes to park in their parking lot overnight, these same people will in turn support Walmart. Also, a good point was made a few posts back that having a Walmart parking lot filled with RVs improves the security of the parking lot.

We must remember that most people traveling in motorhomes are retired couples. They have worked hard all their lives. They have invested fortunes in their motorhomes and all they want to do is travel this wonderful land and see everything they possibly can while they can. All they want to do is have a good time and get along with everyone while doing it.

I don't understand why people want to try to ruin their fun.

Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Never had a problem at Walmart. I always ask for permission, usually while in the checkout with a full basket of groceries and a rotisserie chicken to boot. I've never been turned down. That being said, I have seen certain Walmart locations (a few in San Antonio come to mind immediately) where I wouldn't park unless I had an armed guard at the ready. It's not Walmart, it's more often than not the surrounding neighborhood. Our local Walmart in Kimball, Tennessee has frequent overnight parkers, both the RV and the 18 wheeler crowd. Breakfast at the adjoining Cracker Barrel or lunch or dinner at the local Chinese buffet is popular with all.
I'm just a broken down old Air Force NCO living on a pension. I'll never be able to afford a motorhome. But Walmart welcomes us all and doesn't impose a ten year rule.
SSgt. Richard L Ray, USAF (Retired) - Laura L Ray
Our second home is a vintage 1995 Jayco Eagle 277RB 'The Love Shack"
towed by a 2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab short bed "The Green Goblin"

Old 03-27-2015, 03:15 AM   #25
I don't understand why people want to try to ruin their fun.
because their jealous of walmart and are control freaks.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:20 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Walmart Linked To Higher Crime Rates: Study
Wal-Mart Parking Lots Are A Virtual Magnet For Crime

You could spend hours and find case after case of crime related to WalMArt locations

As you could for strip malls, large malls, other shopping centers, grocery stores, and business offices. A quick search will show that 80% of ALL store crimes occur in the parking lot, in line with the article you linked to. The article is also outdated having been written in 2007.

I believe that Walmart has taken steps to increase parking lot safety. At all of ours they have what I call "cop in a box" with a blue light flashing to remind you they are there. Walmart also uses infrared cameras in their parking lot, more than can be said for most stores. Our Walmarts also have roving security patrols.

The Walmart I shop at on the way home isn't exactly in the best neighborhood, yet I feel safe because of the security steps in place mentioned above.
Brian and Tammy
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #27
I think you have to take this on a case by case basis. My wife and kids to go the wal mart here in our smaller communities. Would they go toa wal mart in say in central st louis? I don't think so. That don't mean something wont happen in Fremont Nebraska but its less likely.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
Old 03-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #28
Walmart, campgrounds, rest areas, truck stops, you name it, they all have cess pools, us RV'ers just have to watch where we step. Stay aware.

Closed Thread